I know about telephone party lines, 8 tracks and having the milk delivered 2the house

GlennDog
GlennDog Posts: 3,084
So we're all familiar with the 9, 10, 11 o'clock position on the vol control. But, what exactly does the digital display of +0.5 dB represent (except LOUD) . . . I had it cranked last night and mods are being carefully considered . . it's just not an "accurate" gage as the 1 o'clock position (i.e. "Stop, It's Too Loud! We don't Want To Damage Anything" setting)

just to clarify . . . - 0.5 dB is almost inaudible and + 5.5 dB . . well, I didn't go there (in a word or 2 Very Loud)

Your thoughts are always appreciated!

TY

G
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12
Post edited by GlennDog on

Comments

• eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited June 2012
    I was amused at your subject line....gotta be an old **** to remember these things; must admit I never went down the road of 8 track though.

Haven't a clue why this was posted in Gatherings & Special Events though?

As to the volume control positions and the new digital db displays, I think they are all dependent on your input source, so are meaningless except to give you a personal reference.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited June 2012
    We had milk delivery when I was around 5 to 6 years old, but no party phone lines that I know of. I love 8tracks, loved the look and feel of the cartridge and the ease of clicking into the slot for some instant tunes. I helped install an 8 track player in a friends car in high school, probably one of the last car 8 track players left. I also remember that tv's were often built into furniture to blend into the living room, which is an effect I am trying to replicate now. I'm about to try and build into a bookshelf in the living room a wood electronic rack to hold all my black boxes, and get rid of the tv as I primarily use a projector anyway. Gone are the days of turning on a tv and watching with a simple click, and gone are the days the volume control was uniformly meant to go from lowest to highest in a easy to understand for everyone format.

I love your subject line too, classic!
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2012
    Lived out in the country with my aunt for the summer and had to wait to use the party line phone...weird because now I know why the town gossip spread so fast

Drove around with dad in his Lincoln town car listening to Richard Pryor on 8-track

Had one of these for an 8-track players in blue...thought I was kool

8 track.JPG

As Archie Bunker would say "Those were the days"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited June 2012
    Remember it well. We had a mllkman and a breadman. My Father had 6 little remotes to change the 3 channels and volume. Didn't get that cutting edge technology for 8-tracks till i was in highschool. I don't look at the db. Loud is loud. You'll know the differance. I'm pretty sure you already have it figured out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited June 2012
    This thread needs to be moved.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2012
    F1nut wrote: »

Come on Jesse you are being a nastagia party pooper!:wink::eek::cheesygrin:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    Come on Jesse you are being a nastagia party pooper!:wink::eek::cheesygrin:

Wow! And I need to check my spelling better!:cheesygrin: It should be nostalgia.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2012
    F1nut wrote: »

It needs to be shot into space with post whores strapped to the boosters.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2012
    It needs to be shot into space with post whores strapped to the boosters.

Lord, Mr. Ford... that man has a way with words.
  • jgwinett
    jgwinett Posts: 30
    edited July 2014
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Lived out in the country with my aunt for the summer and had to wait to use the party line phone...weird because now I know why the town gossip spread so fast

Drove around with dad in his Lincoln town car listening to Richard Pryor on 8-track

Had one of these for an 8-track players in blue...thought I was kool

8 track.JPG

As Archie Bunker would say "Those were the days"

Had this one, mine was blue and I wore that thing out.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited July 2014
    There was even another (proprietary) cartridge tape format that I remember... My Neighbor had one, and the tapes were smaller than an 8 track. It was called Playtape.... and played on it's own player.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/playtape_2_track_1200.html

Anybody seen this before?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    edited July 2014
    I had one of these:

tumblr_lowv9v7aJR1qav3uso1_500.jpg

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2014
    We had a party line and an operator. Our phone number was 2013R. You picked up the phone, told the operator what number you want and she rang it for you. The phone had a dial on it, we just didn't have any reason to use one.
  • Mikey081057
    edited July 2014
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    We had a party line and an operator. Our phone number was 2013R. You picked up the phone, told the operator what number you want and she rang it for you. The phone had a dial on it, we just didn't have any reason to use one.

I saw that on the Andy Griffith show :)

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited July 2014
    I had one of these:

tumblr_lowv9v7aJR1qav3uso1_500.jpg

Didn't everyone? :lol:
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited July 2014
    I'm sorry but what the h3ll is a party line???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited July 2014
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what the h3ll is a party line???

Basically a conference call on a shared phone line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_line_(telephony)
  • Mikey081057
    edited July 2014
    Zeros wrote: »

It was a legal wiretap on your neighbor before the NSA

• Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited July 2014
    It was a legal wiretap on your neighbor before the NSA

Or illegal if you were the cops:

"In June 1968, the conviction of three Winter Park, Florida men on bookmaking charges was overturned as police had used a party line telephone in a rented house on the same line as the suspects to unlawfully intercept their communications"
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited July 2014
    I remember when I was a little boy, we used to go visit my grandmother in rural South Carolina. She had an outhouse, a wood burning stove, and a hand pump that used to have a quart jar of water beside it to prime it. And, she had chickens in her yard. And, she didn't even have a phone.
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2014
    My parents' party line saved us about $2.00 a month over the cost of a private line. What a pain in the butt. When it rang, it rang in both houses and you had to know the sound of your ring. And if you wanted to make a call, you picked up the phone and if you heard someone talking, you had to quietly hang up and wait and try again later.

Unfortunately, $2.00 mattered in those days.