Reviving the Vinyl

Options
amulford
amulford Posts: 5,020
edited July 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Okay, I decided I didn't like my av rack I built. I decided to build another, but this time I added a place for my TT. I made a pull out shelf on full extension slides.

I decided to bring back my vinyl, maybe add some more, you know;)

I have a Technics SL-1300 direct drive. It was supposed "DA BOMB" back in the day, but now I've started to appreciate better I'm not sure:( Am I wrong???

What should I do??? Can I make any tweaks to this TT, or should I off it? I know I don't like the IC's, can I change them? Any suggestions?? How about a reasonable cartridge? And I can't find the manual, anybody know where I can find one of those?

Another question I have is my receiver has inputs for either a moving magnet or high output moving coil cartridge only. Could someone explain this to me? I currently have a Stanton 681EEE cartridge, does this qualify? If not, any suggestions?

I need some guidance... :confused:
Post edited by amulford on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2004
    Options
    If you are thinking of manuals of any kind, you owe it to yourself to give Rick at www.stereomanuals.com a shout.

I have purchased manuals from Mike(Techman777) of www.vintageaudiomanuals.com , and while they are nicely bound and crisply printed.....they are not of the same caliber as Rick's offerings, period. Specifically when it relates to schematics. For example: Rick recreates full length schematics, not chopped up 8x11 versions. That's pretty damn important if that's why your buying a manual. I also picked up some full color, reproduction sales brochures for an RT-909 R2R and they were absolutely stunning.

Just FYI, find what suits you best.

Did you ever pick up that Akai manual from him? I will be angry if you didn't ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2004
    Options
    i don't get how those auctions are legal... I mean, you're selling scanned copies of a copywrited document. *shrugs*

You may want to look into getting a new belt.... perhaps one that isn't stretched like the original prolly is... EDIT- missed the "direct drive" part... sorry

It would also be a very good idea to get a new cartridge, as the needle is probably not in good shape, and you could damage your records with it. Check these folks out... their customer service has always been top-notch for me http://www.elexatelier.com/
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • amulford
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Did you ever pick up that Akai manual from him? I will be angry if you didn't

Yes, but i switched emails and lost him when I did. Thanks for the HU, I will check him out.

I did buy the manual from mike, though..(kicks self in the ****)....

Nadams - I kinda figured. But what should I be looking for???
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Email Elex Atelier and they'll suggest several different options if your cartridge is no longer in production. Also, check out their TT motor bearing oil, that could help out with any slowness that might've developed over the years with that motor. When was the last time you ran this TT?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • amulford
    edited July 2004
    Options
    aww hell man, I don't even know...
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2004
    Options
    If you're serious about vinyl, you may want to consider picking up a new (used) TT.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Many manufacturers produce high and low output versions of the same cartridge. Benz Micro for example produces the Benz Gold (0.4 millivolts) and Benz Silver (2.0millivolts) though they have different names and are different colors they are, save the output voltage, the same cartridge. High output MC cartridges can usually be used with pre-amps configured for MM setups. Moving coil cartridges are also LOTS more expensive than Moving Magnet cartridges and require an MC phono preamp.
  • amulford
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    If you're serious about vinyl, you may want to consider picking up a new (used) TT.

Not a very good one huh???

Tony - which would be the better choice?? I have the option of either.
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Try the Grado Prestige line of cartridges. The Gold is the top of that line and is $180 MSRP (can be found for $150). Also checkout the Shure M97XE at Needle Doctor.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Anthony my good man,

I have a Shure V15 Type III with what looks like plenty of stylus left. $75.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Not trying to stray you from the folks here, but over at the Spot there is a very, very knowledgable guy known as "Tigerbangs". I'd get his opinion as well.

The Technics SL series were more aligned with the DJ industry, but I think they're great and wait for the day when I can get my hands on one.
  • amulford
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Anthony my good man,

I have a Shure V15 Type III with what looks like plenty of stylus left. $75.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)

That sounds good. I have to come up and see you anyway:D

wrandall: by the spot, are you talking the hometheatrespot?