Possible Polk SDA SRS Purchase

Thorton
Thorton Posts: 1,324
edited July 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Need Help. I've never purchased used speakers and found these local for sale. I believe SDA SRS. They have been stored in a basement for 10 yrs and the guy did not have any equipment to test them on. Overall, they are in decent shape. The wood is good no cracks or water damage. One side panel needs the cloth repaired. I pushed in the midranges with no binding or freezing problems I believe. The drivers look to be in excellent condition for how old they are. Well built by Polk. You can tell that moisture was present in the basement since the driver screws have some surface rust. No interconnect cable.

Polk SDA SRS - 1.jpg
Polk SDA SRS - 5.jpg
Polk SDA SRS - 4.jpg
Polk SDA SRS - 3.jpg
Polk SDA SRS - 2.jpg

Here's my questions:

1.) Are these the SDA SRS model since I believe that is a blade/blade connection?
2.) Could the moisture that was present in the basement have caused problems with the internal wiring/electronics?
3.) Could I hook up my old Denon AVR to them and test them on low volume? I could bring an amp if I had to.
4.) What should I also look for or test?
5.) What is a good low price for these?

These babies are huge, intimidating and would look awesome in my basement. Thanks for the assistance.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
Post edited by Thorton on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited July 2014
    1. Yes.
    2. Doubtful, that's just surface rust.
    3. Yes.
    4. Just listen.
    5. Under $1200.00.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thorton
    edited July 2014
    Thanks F1 for the straight forward answers!

I have a few more questions since they have passed the first test.

1.) I've read about speaker location. Would my placement of these bring out the best in them or be a problem since they will be placed on the sides of an entertainment center? Distance apart will be 10-13 ft. About 20 inches to 2 ft from the back wall so the entertainment center will not obstruct them. The closest side wall is 8-9 ft away. And the MLP is 14 ft away.

2.) I believe I can get a very good price for these. If they sound OK should I go for it or wait for the more desired 1.2TL or 2.3TL? I know I could resell them but they're Freakin huge!

3.) I'm assuming in the stock form (all drivers functioning) that these will be a significant improvement over my A9's for music. Am I assuming correct? The only SDA's I've heard were stock 2.3's and they were very nice.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited July 2014
    They will destroy your A9's.

Edit: When properly powered, of course.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    edited July 2014
    Distance apart will be 10-13 ft. About 20 inches to 2 ft from the back wall

Problematic. 6 to 8 feet apart is the ideal distance and that far away from the back wall will kill the bass response.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thorton
    edited July 2014
    OK. I know many don't prefer it but I can keep the subs in the mix for bass. That's the way I'm set-up with my A9's now. Since toe-in is not recommended does the farther distance apart kill imaging? And if the distance apart as you say is problematic, I will just probably pass. Thanks again F1!
  • F1nut
    edited July 2014
    I would hate to see you pass on them just for that reason. Who knows, each room is different.

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited July 2014
    I use my 2 subs for movies because I like the bass heavy on special effects and I don't want to damage my babies.
    When I listen to music I go to 2 channel mode. Mine are 6' 9" inside to inside.

Thorton wrote: »
    OK. I know many don't prefer it but I can keep the subs in the mix for bass. That's the way I'm set-up with my A9's now. Since toe-in is not recommended does the farther distance apart kill imaging? And if the distance apart as you say is problematic, I will just probably pass. Thanks again F1!
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Thorton
    edited July 2014
    Well, I just got excited seeing these close to me, the condition they were in and the price. Then I remembered threads about blade/blade not being able to use a isolation transformer. So I'd have to buy the speakers and another amp then maybe find out placement is not ideal. If I did like them, I'd probably throw in more cash upgrading them. I would really love to try these speakers out with my set-up but I'm gonna pass and keep looking. Thanks guys for the help.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited July 2014
    F1nut wrote: »
    I would hate to see you pass on them just for that reason. Who knows, each room is different.

Let me second F1nut's note of caution about passing on these. Mine are a good 12' feet apart, and I have no complaints!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited July 2014
    Let me second F1nut's note of caution about passing on these. Mine are a good 12' feet apart, and I have no complaints!

And let me third this... Mine currently sit 10 feet apart and 3 feet off the back wall and sound amazing. After my room is done, they will be set correctly. I have not seen a set of these for sale in Los Angeles in the nearly two years I have had them, so if you walk away from these, you are likely not going to see another set within 500 miles of you for a very long time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited July 2014
    I'll throw my opinion in and fourth that motion. mine are close to 13 ft apart and I have no complaints either. I know its not optimal but it is still awesome. Think for a second and determine how many things in life are truly optimal; few to none in most cases but you still enjoy most of those things very much. get them if you can. You will not regret it over that distance. Not at all.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited July 2014
    Thorton, if you are on the fence, and if money isn't a big issue, then I think you should go get them and if things don't work out...at least you have them and likely could sell them for what you paid.

I haven't seen too many threads on people not liking these speakers.

I agree these don't come around often especially with the wood in such great shape as you stated.
  • Bigerik
    Bigerik Posts: 149
    edited July 2014
    Location (these being local), and condition, are always the most important factors when considering very big, heavy speakers. I'll happily pay over the going rate if these two factors are met to my satisfaction.