sub botoming out

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited March 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have a kicker xpl sub in a 1 cf sealed box it plays good but when it hits low it botoms out what should i do?
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• sc0tty8
    sc0tty8 Posts: 69
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Get a polk:cool:

I know nothing about kickers at all.....

How much power are you driving to it? Try turning the bass boost down? Adjusting the gain? A diff. amp?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Yeah, I had two JL 10w0's, and when I would listen to certain types of music, when the bass would hit low, it would sound like the cone was scraping on the coil. I know I was running them a little too hard, but I think some subs just don't do as well with certain lows.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sc0tty8
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I thought that the coils where attathed to the cone:confused: I had to get a few subs fixed because the coils seperated from the cone. My subs have the bottom out effect with real low bass( they are RF xlc's and a vega powered sub).
  • Systems
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Yeah, they are attached, I just don't know how to describe it, I guess it would be the bottom of the coil scraping on the basket? I don't know... Just a scraping sound.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sc0tty8
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Like a clicking/rattlinging sound. I have the same prob. I got a 10" cerwin vega HT sub that does that, thing is, it did not do it until the repaired the cone/coil assemby and the surround(damn ferrets and their need to nest in my powered sub) I also got some xlc's in my car that do that. I am thinking it is cus the amp does not get enuf powered or it is a cheap amp, as these XLC's NEVER did it with my old pioneer 922. I am running a jenson amp, only reason I still have that is cuz it has out lasted most of my other amps. I have a rep at the local stores for "beating the f$%^ out of my amps". I would like to here what kim/juston have to say about this, they live/eat/breathe speakers.
  • Systems
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Mine I believe was just overpowering, cuz I know the JL's are good subs, and I had an Alpine V-12 amp, which is one of the best sound quality amps there is. Your thing sounds a little different then mine. My sound was like a scraping, weird. Anyway, later...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing