LSi Setup Question

Options
mjk91383
mjk91383 Posts: 298
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm about to order a pair of LSi9's from sounddistributors.com and had a few questions I thought I'd ask:

First thing, is my H/K 310 going to be able to drive these in two channel mode (high current / 60 watts per channel)? If not, is there a reasonably priced piece of equipment that can?

I've never been outside the world of an A/V receiver, so I don't understand much about amps and such.

Can any of the audiophile experts out there give me a hand? I don't usually have large amounts of cash on me, so this may be my only chance for some LSi's for a few months.

joe :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Troy LaMont
    Troy LaMont Posts: 27
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Joe,

Although the LSi9s are of low impedence, you should be able to acheive a good sound from your amp...as long as the amp is up the job. The problem would lie in whether or not your amp can drive these speakers. It's really hard to say even if I knew the specs of your amp. The best methodology is to go ahead an get the LSi9s, hook em' up and see if your amp can push them.

I was in the same boat when I bought my setup (will my receiver be enough?) and I found out that it was up the job rather quicky. My receiver (for now) is the Onkyo 777. I even emailed Onkyo customer service to see if the Polks 4ohm rating would be too much, CS advised me not to, but I haven't had any problems yet.

Now, if your amp isn't up to the task, there should be at least 10-15 different routes you can go as far as amps are concerned. With just two channels, it shouldn't be too expensive. You can pick up a good two channel amp to run the LSi9s @ 4ohms for around $250 (or less). Once you reach this point, post back and I as well as others, can offer amp suggestions.

But, I would definitely go with the LSi9s now and worry about amps once you've tested your amp out.

Good luck.

Troy
    "I know you have a group of guys just sitting around thinking **** up, and another group of guys backing them up..." - Harry Stamper