can you bi-amp tubes and SS to lsi7's?

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited July 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I was just wondering beings i have a rotel amp and now the st70 tuber, could i use say the tube for the tweets and the rotel for the mid drivers? or which ever would best compliment the said driver.. I know it can be done, actually want to know with good results? would be rotel 200 wpc? @4 and the dynakit at 35 wpc, book says 80 watts peak per channel.... what ya think?? On lsi7's for now that is,
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited July 2004
    yes
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2004
    There are two problems. The tubes are special in the midrange so hooking it to the tweets is not going to give you much. The other problem is that the amp may not have a good load and may start freaking out unless you put an additional resistor across the output of the amp. Save this sort of thing for later after you are more used to tubes. You are asking for trouble.
    madmax

Oh yea, How would you know MX??

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, like Madmax said.

I tried it once with my ST-70/NAD C270 and I wasn't impressed. Another problem is the gain on the two amps. The gain on your ST-70 will be different than the one on your Rotel. My NAD have a variable input and even with the gain matched, I didn't like the result. If you're not getting the bass/dynamics/slam you're looking for, take a look at some high efficiency speakers for your future upgrade.

Maurice
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,055
    edited July 2004
    It's a good question and I have to reply......

I don't see the need to bi amp anything.Lsi7's would and will sound great running off your Rotel amp.You can however listen to which amp sounds better with proper time spent.

Another option is selling both amps and buying a better one.this is what I would do.I would much rather have one better amp then 2 bi amping amps.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2004
    No i like both amps fine, it was a question of sound quality.. as much as quantity, and just a thought to try... I wont be selling either amp as i got great deals on them and i like them the best out of the several i have tried... But just integrateing tube and SS sounded like a cool idea...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2004
    Another scenario where it sounds good but in practical terms it doesn't work out as well.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut