?'s 'bout size gauge wiring for system

Options
Coconut Banger
Coconut Banger Posts: 4
edited July 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i have a RF 551S power amp running to my new MM12. it says that the amp takes 4 gauge wiring, but from what i understand not everything is wired in the same size. so what type of wiring package do i need to buy (i think that most come with various sets of gauge sizes) ? of course this is only a 800 watt system or less so i know i need the 4 gauge but what else?
jP
Post edited by Coconut Banger on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    Options
    4 gauge wiring from battery to amp, 4 gauge from amp's ground to the car's chassis, and ~10 gauge for the sub minimum... go with whatever it can take (actually, probably 10 or 8). so get a 4 gauge single-amp wiring kit, as long as it has biggish speaker wire. perhaps try www.knukonceptz.com?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Neo.. is right, but not just to say biggish ;)

here's the math:
    amp runs about 12-14 volts.. so takes high amperage... (about 57~60 amps)
    ---4 GA---
    subs get power from amp at (800w given @ 4ohm)... so about 56 volts...
    ---10ga-8ga--- (need's 1/5th of power wire ga.)

All of my power wire is half the size it needs to be, but I'm just chap :rolleyes:
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • beenthere
    beenthere Posts: 34
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I heard ya need 000 wire to the speakers for "good" sound quality !

;)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2004
    Options
    As long as the speaker wire is short, 16ga. is fine for that if you have any laying around....I personally use 12ga. for all my installs.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    Options
    no one with general listening habits needs 000.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • beenthere
    beenthere Posts: 34
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Did you miss this ;)
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2004
    Options
    could you use 13 ga wire from amp to sub and for the internal wiring of a sub if you were building it yourself?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    Options
    13 is huge for the internals of a sub...
    i dunno what size are on my momo subs but i doubt its bigger than 16
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2004
    Options
    ok, ill use 15 ga then, what do u think of this wire? http://www.accessories4less.com/Amazing/items.asp?CartId=15307637DHXA-EVEREST-R53&Cc=CAB%2DSPFT&tpc=
    (the 15 ga ixos)

sorry for the thread hijacking
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    Options
    generally, speaker wire is speaker wire
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I agree. Im using 14 guage flat wire from Radio Shack. It was $20 for a 50 ft roll which is a pretty good deal. I wouldnt use a cheap RCA tho but speaker wire is all about the same.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    Options
    yeah, the only things to look for in speaker wire are how bendy it is (useful in tight corners), and if there's thick insulation (so you don't scrape it off and short out the wire on accident); but rca's are vitally important, and i felt i should mention that even though you didn't ask aboot them... same thing with power wire as with speaker wire...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Options
    The only thing you should compare with power/ground wire is strand count. The more the better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I believe that I am using
    10 0r 12 ga for my subs, and the wires inside the box. But on that note, I have passive inductance low-pass filters (coils) in the box, and I believe they are built from ... er... I'd guess 18ga solid wire... they don't add but hundredths of an ohm to the line, and no volume difference for under 100Hz. So it's really a matter of preference. The coils on a sub are made from really small wire compared to what you are ever going to use for the speaker wire.. in most cases ;) so it really isn't the biggest issue.
    Additionally, the lengths do not have to match, especially the larger guages, though some audiophiles will attest to "hearing" the diference :rolleyes:
    -Jerry