Upcoming Led Zeppelin reissues

nspindel
nspindel Posts: 5,343
edited July 2014 in Music & Movies
The date for the release of the first three of these reissues, in a plethora of packages, is rapidly approaching. Any thoughts from the Zep heads on what version you're looking to get?

I have one question - I'm wondering whether the vinyl releases are going to be pure analog straight through? Or are they doing a high res digital remaster and then making the vinyl from that?
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
Post edited by nspindel on

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited May 2014
    Is Jimmy in Charge of the Redoing of these again?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nspindel
    edited May 2014
    yes.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited May 2014
    For that reason alone, I plan on waiting until they are released and reviewed before I actually go and buy anything. I have the whole catalog on mint Japanese vinyl, so I'm not exactly lacking Zeppelin to listen to!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited May 2014
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Is Jimmy in Charge of the Redoing of these again?
    nspindel wrote: »
    yes.

This has me somewhat nervous about buying unheard. Sorry Pagey, the old ears just ain't what they used to be !!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • nspindel
    edited May 2014
    I highly doubt that Jimmy is doing this as a one-man show though. He's in charge, but I'd like to think he's surrounded himself with some highly qualified engineers before embarking on such an important project, one that will undoubtedly be the final Zeppelin masters of his lifetime.

I'm very undecided about what to do here. I very recently made a pretty substantial investment in Zeppelin vinyl, I've got the Japanese pressings of the whole catalog:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?149285-Complete-Vintage-Led-Zeppelin-vinyl-collection

I'll need to wait to hear some reviews before making any sort of purchase. The vinyl would need to sound better than the originals before I'd go paying the premium for the vinyl versions. I'm also going to wait to see if the digital versions end up on HDTracks at a higher-than-cd resolution before I go buying anything digital. When Celebration Day came out, they put out the Hi Rez audio on BlueRay. Then a month later it was on HDTracks.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited May 2014
    What's wrong with those Jappenese Pressings? I bet they sound better than anything offered here. I got all of Zeps on LP and Cd I listen to the vinyl more often than the CD's. They will have to be very impressive for me to drop more coin on the Zepplin catalog.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nspindel
    edited May 2014
    Who said anything was wrong with them?

I'd buy these reissues on vinyl if they sound better than the original versions. If people aren't drooling over how much better the new vinyl sounds than original, I don't have any intentions of spending the cash for them

I'm very interested in the bonus material that's being released, the Paris concert that comes with the Deluxe version of Zeppelin I, plus all the alternative versions coming with the Deluxe editions of the other albums. But I'd be perfectly content having those on CD at less than half the price of the Deluxe vinyl versions. Even if the vinyl is reviewed to sound better than the original vinyl, I still don't think I'd pay up for the Deluxe versions. It's cheaper to buy the standard vinyl versions, and the Deluxe cd versions than it is to buy the Deluxe vinyl.

But as I said, first thing I want to see is whether these come out in hi rez on HDTracks. That would certainly play into the decision.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2014
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Zentish
    Zentish Posts: 127
    edited May 2014
    Intriguing:

24bit/96kHz downloads! (live tracks 24bit/48kHz)

I'm watching for these re-releases and plan on grabbing them when I can.

As much as I grow older and try to listen to newer music, my roots are still in hard-core 70's rock: Zep, Floyd, AC/DC, Rush, Supertramp, Queen. Nothing else realy gets my blood flowing and I'm a sucker for buying them every time they get remastered.
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR929 7.1 AVR 130wpc
    Mains: 2x Polk RTA 8TL's
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Surrounds: 2x Klipsch RS-41ii (because they fit perfectly over the door and window)
    Rear Surr: 2x Polk M4a '90
    Subwoofer: Speakerlab DAS-SW dual-voice-coil 10" '88 30Hz-150Hz
    Subwoofer Amp: ONKYO A-8019 AMP '85 100wpc
    Display: Samsung 55" UNC55-8000 3D LED
    Console: Xbox360
    DVR: custom MythTV rig w/ 3 tuners OTA
    Zone2: 2x Polk M5b '87
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2014
    I hope they just have a CD only version, or high-res download version. If I have to buy a set that includes LPs then I guess I won't be buying it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nspindel
    edited May 2014
    There are cd versions.
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited May 2014
    I got a 24/96 vinyl rip of the 2006 45 rpm LP road case set, burned them to DVD using lplex and called it a day for LZ sourcing. They sound better than other sets I have, are convenient, and have just a hint of needle hiss in the dead time every once in a while to .make me look for the turn table. And I will probably search for reviews on this new release, but I would think with my gear, my ears, and source recording technology from when these were created I will be safe.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2014
    So, has anyone listened to any of the first 3 CD's yet? If so, please give a review. I will likely purchase III tomorrow. Hoping for the best.....
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • BlueFox
    edited June 2014
    headrott wrote: »
    So, has anyone listened to any of the first 3 CD's yet? If so, please give a review. I will likely purchase III tomorrow. Hoping for the best.....

I bought I, II, and III, but haven't opened them yet. I think I am going to get the 96/24 files from HD Tracks instead.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited June 2014
    I will likely purchase III tomorrow. Hoping for the best.....

Let me/us know what you think.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited June 2014
    You bet Jesse. I'm not 100% sure if I'll have time to pick it up, but here's to hoping. I will eventually pick it up and listen and you you (guys) know.

BlueFox, if you listen first please please let us know what you think.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • nspindel
    edited June 2014
    I'm a bit peeved about the pricing. For the cd version, the "deluxe" version with the bonus material is only $2-$3 more. If you buy the vinyl version or the 2496 downloads, it's double the price.
  • nspindel
    edited June 2014
    What I really want to hear is a comparison of the vinyl to the original vinyl. Or is this another Beatles reissue where the vinyl sounds pretty good, but not as good as original?
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2014
    I &II just showed up yesterday, will post thoughts once I get a chance for a listen. High Res will be through a Musical Fidelity M1Clic via a DLNA server, so there are a few parts that might color my impressions.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • headrott
    edited June 2014
    I just picked up all 3 of the "deluxe edition" CD's. I , unfortunately won't have a chance to listen until tomorrow though. I will listen to III and if I don't like what I hear, I will return the first 2 CD's. I will give you guys a review tomorrow. If anyone else has listened to them please give us a review (in the meantime).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    From what I've read elsewhere, the deluxe editions do not come with any sleeve liner and the CD's are scuffed up. The super deluxe versions have sleeve liners.

As for the sound, it seems a lot of folks like them, but a bunch still prefer the Barry Diament versions. Of course, those same folks seem to think he is a God.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2014
    I just downloaded the 96/24 version of their 1st album from HDTracks. I'll give it a listen tonight.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • headrott
    edited June 2014
    F1nut wrote: »
    From what I've read elsewhere, the deluxe editions do not come with any sleeve liner and the CD's are scuffed up. The super deluxe versions have sleeve liners.

As for the sound, it seems a lot of folks like them, but a bunch still prefer the Barry Diament versions. Of course, those same folks seem to think he is a God.

Damn! I had a bad feeling when I was looking at them in the store that they would have no sleeves andwould be scuffed up! I looked through all the different ones they had and I get a feeling for which will be the best condition. (I know it's sorta cosmic, new age stuff but I've had great results by using that feeling).

I know many Zeppelin ficianados feel Barry Diament is "God". I think his versions are good however. I am hoping I will like these remasters more however. :smile:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2014

The Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Immersion set had the CD's w/out sleeves and a lot of them were scuffed but they replaced them on request.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited June 2014
    I was just checking out the reviews on Amazon and, so far, there is nothing but praise for the sound of these reissues. I know that may not mean a lot because we do not know who wrote the reviews on Amazon but it is good news in the sense that there are no negative reviews.

I am hoping these are a major upgrade in sound but, regardless, I am definitely getting the new Zeppelin I just for the live 1969 concert.

I cannot wait to hear reviews of these from fellow Polkies. Let us know what you think as soon as you can!
  • F1nut
    edited June 2014

I may have things mixed up. There is a single CD version and a Deluxe 2 CD version. I believe the single comes without a sleeve and the Deluxe comes with sleeves. Can someone verify please?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    Ok, I did a little digging. Neither the single CD or 2 CD Deluxe version come with sleeves. Only the LP/CD Super Deluxe comes with sleeves. WTF!?!

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    edited June 2014
    Other than the SHM SACDs, I only occasionally have a CD with a sleeve. Either it sits in the plastic case, or as with the cardboard cases used with these the CD sits inside one of the covers. Assuming the word 'sleeve' means a paper holder.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2014
    The sleeves are normally either cloth or plastic, but a few are paper.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    edited June 2014
    Jesse, I'll open up III right now and see how the disc is kept in the "case". I'll also report on the condition of the disc. I have some of the cloth sleeves to put them in after opening them, but if it's scuffed up already it'll obviously be after the fact. :sad:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg