Oscars

The Old Gaffer
The Old Gaffer Posts: 35
edited March 2002 in Music & Movies
Hey what did you all think of the Oscars?
I thought It would have been more just to have had A Beatiful Mind and The Lord of the Rings split "Best Director and Best Picture, Hopefully the next two installments of LOTR will be equally as great so that It can get more deserving recognition. For 50 years Hollywood viewed LOTR as impossible to be done live action. But I forget Hollywood only honors fantasy films with techno oscars.

Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors, I am not as familiar with Haile Berrie. Yet it seems like the academy had to make an obvious show of support for diversity. It is important that they do so, but to me it seemed almost patronizing the way they did it all in one night. Whoopie hosting making lots of references to diversity issues, Denzel, Haile, Sidney Poitier. It took some of the sweetness out of very deserving Oscars for the three of them.
Post edited by The Old Gaffer on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    The best part of the Oscar's was the prefromance of Cirque du Soleil. I want my 3 hours back. I haven't watched the Oscars for years, now I remember why. What a joke. Halley Berry, she did a good job in Monsters Ball, but Denzil in Training Day, give me a break. He sucks as an actor. Jim Broadbent should have gotten it for best actor, not supporting in Iris.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited March 2002
    Over 2 African America People winning the Best Actor/Actress in the same year...

Last time I looked, Halle Berry had a Mother that was White as a Ghost, and NOT an Albino...

So, is Halle Berry the First Mulatto to win? And why are they not pushing that? Why is she not pushing that? She ashamed of her Mother or something?
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2002
    Whoopi Goldberg gets the Oscar for Lameness As Award Show Host.

Not that I would bother watching the Oscars, but I know she's lame and she probably used it as a forum to be all chummy chummy with the white liberal hollywood establishment crowding the auditorium to congratulate themselves on another year of money-for-nothing.

What the hell kind of name is "whoopi goldberg" anyway? "Whoopi"?! Damn it, I'm sure she SHOULD be funny, but she just isn't funny, ever, no matter what. Take away her fame.

And I think Hallie was GREAT in SWORDFISH. A definite Oscar performance.

:D

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2002
    I did not watch the Oscars last night and I haven't watched them for years and years. I DON'T CARE ! This is just another example of taking something that may at one time had some entertainment value and over-hyping, over-producing, over-everthing the event that it is a pain to watch. The Academy takes themselves soooooo seriously and this is soooooo important. They are movies and this is entertainment. I feel the same way about the Grammies. It seems like every facet of life has an awards gala that they try to turn into and entertainment extravaganza. The list goes on and on... The Oscars, Emmys, Daytime Emmys, Grammies, Heisman, MTV, Globe, ESPYs, and even NASCAR has a big award show. I guess I am in the minority but I have never gone out to see or buy a movie because it won an Oscar. Sorry for the soapbox. I spent the night watching Ice Staion Zebra and Big League and had no clue who won anything until I read these posts this morning.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    Micah, Woopi's middle name is cushion, just she is nothing but a woopi cushion full of gas. She is so lame. There is a petition over at the HTF to not allow her to return, ever.

If...
  • egk
    egk Posts: 13
    edited March 2002
    It seems a common practice for people with mixed parentage to refer to themselves as "black" since it benefits them to do so. For example, in NYC for Police and Firefighter promotion exams, it is my understanding that if they can document at least 1/16th minority (that's 1 minority great-great grandparent) they can get classified as a minority giving them preference in the promotion process. It's a new world.
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited March 2002
    >>Whoopi Goldberg gets the Oscar for Lameness As Award Show Host

No one does the Oscars like Billy Crystal. He's the only reason I would ever tune in.

Give War A Chance
  • vicentre
    vicentre Posts: 23
    edited March 2002
    Denzel Washington and Halle Barry won their oscars because they are great actors, not because they are black. i'm disappointed by some of the comments i have read in this thread that seem almost racist. everyone is entitled to there opinion, so i'm just expressing mine.
    Home Theater Man Cave

Display-Samsung PN60E550 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR809 | Sources-OPPO BDP-103, PS3, Apple TV | Speakers-PolkAudio; mains-RTiA7, center-CSiA6, surrounds-RTi70, back surrounds-RTi38 | Sub-SVS PB-1000 | Sennheiser HD-650 headphones | Schiit Audio Vahalla Headphone Amp | Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable | Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk II Phono Amp with upgraded power supply | Monster MP HTS 1600 power center
  • jdelan
    edited March 2002
    Um, Halle Berry is not Black, that is the point I wanted to get Across, she is Mulatto.
    Nothing racist about that.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    What!? And this whole time I thought Halle Berry was just freakin' hot!

Aaron
  • jdelan
    edited March 2002
    Well, she is HOT too...That is a given...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2002
    Hey, this is the funniest take on the Oscars I have yet seen...

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2002/03/25/oscars_2002/index.html?x

It's not about race, folks. But Denzel SHOULD have won for something in which he actually ACTED -- GLORY, or MALCOLM X comes to mind.

TRAINING DAY sucked.

Keep it civil. "Mulatto"... Jeez, you guys crack me up.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • jdelan
    edited March 2002
    Not sure I see the Humor behind the word Mulatto.
  • vicentre
    edited March 2002
    Mulatto is a very derogatory term to call someone of mixed heritage. You might as well called her the 'N' word. Here's some education: a taboo term for somebody who has one black and one Caucasian parent, also the child of a white slave owner from one of his black female slaves. I know its getting way off the subject about the 'Oscars' but i had to speak my mind.
    Home Theater Man Cave

Display-Samsung PN60E550 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR809 | Sources-OPPO BDP-103, PS3, Apple TV | Speakers-PolkAudio; mains-RTiA7, center-CSiA6, surrounds-RTi70, back surrounds-RTi38 | Sub-SVS PB-1000 | Sennheiser HD-650 headphones | Schiit Audio Vahalla Headphone Amp | Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable | Musical Fidelity V-LPS Mk II Phono Amp with upgraded power supply | Monster MP HTS 1600 power center
  • jdelan
    edited March 2002
    Oh bull, Mulatto is not even close to being Derogatory. And if she didnt like that she should call herself "of Mixed Race" Not Black, Not Africian American.

Tell ya what. Let me go ask my Friend what he thinks of the Word Mulatto, since he is one...
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited March 2002
    what about these damn "source magazine" and "naacp" awards that honor nothing but blacks (and eminem)? why should we give awards to people based of the color of their skin over their acting ability just so that we don't seem racist?

i feel the same way about black history month. last month at my school, the black students protested during the black history month assembly saying that they got one month and the whites had the rest of the year... what kind of **** is that?

as far as training day, i thought it was pure ****. i gave it a rental over the weekend and barely made it through the whole thing. you can't even find a copy of it on the shelves at best buy.

as for the whole "mulatto" thing, i've never heard a thing about it being derogatory. same thing goes for black people calling us white folks "crackers" and such. i'll be glad when all of this racist **** is over... russell crowe deserved the best actor, whether you liked a beautiful mind or not, and nicole kidman deserved the oscar for her spectacular performance in moulin rouge.

just had to get my two cents in...

joe :D

(...and whoopi goldberg did suck ****)
  • jdelan
    edited March 2002
    Give me a Freaking Break...Sissy Spacek Deserved the Oscar, HANDS DOWN!
    And Russell Crowe only deserves..>Well, he dont deserve Crap...Cant stand him...
    Heck, Wil Smith did a great Job as Ali, even though the movie sucked...To see him transformed into Ali was great...But not really oscar material...But it was better than Denzel...
    And I agree with Micah, Denzel has done MUCH better jobs of Acting...
  • vicentre
    edited March 2002
    Hey, these are just cultural differences that help shape our attitudes, ideas, and opinions and my cultural opinion is that Moulin Rouge and Showgirls are neck and neck for being the WORST movies ever.:)
    Home Theater Man Cave

• jdelan
    edited March 2002
    You obviously never saw Wing Commander...at least in Showgirls you had Naked Women everywhere...
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited March 2002
    Could anyone (on EST) stay awake for that? Whoopi flat knocked me out cold...even Steve Martin was better!
    All I can say was that I was happy Moulin Rouge did not win any of the major awards and that I don't care what you call Halle Berry besides HOT. Oh, and how about Uma? Wow!
    Seriously though, Jim Broadbent was due to win for something and I think the Academy just didn't want to give another award to Russell Crowe for him to sulk about.
    I thought that the montages about NYC in film and film in general were great.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by woodyjacobs
    Could anyone (on EST) stay awake for that?

nope, it put me to sleep...
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    I'm just wondering how much Denzel paid the academy win. Must have been alot.

If...