you want scary?

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited April 2002 in Music & Movies
JOY RIDE

Excellent disc, white knuckle movie! Stupid, regular-old-thriller setup and story but directed so well (by John "Red Rock West" Dahl) that you get caught up in it -- SCARY! Like THE HITCHER, or even DUEL.

And great sound -- a really immersive surround experience. Barrelling trucks and traffic fly all around the room, and sound placement is exact.

Recommended!

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    I saw this one last week, it was pretty good! I was expecting crap, another stupid teen horror....but I have to say I was impressed. The sound and picture was excellent as well!

The down side of it was the disc offered 4 different endings. Why is this bad? Well, I suppose it's not, it's pretty cool....but one of the endings was literally a half an hour long! That's a third of the movie they changed ENTIRELEY! That doesn't really bode well for a film when they change a third of the film, reshooting and rewriting every scene! I'm glad they did, tho, the original ending (third) sucked!

I also rented that Snoop Dogg movie Bones. I likewise, expected crap in it's purest form....which is why I rented it, sometimes bad movies can be great ;)

But let me tell you, that is one of the best horror movies I've seen of late! Bloody, gorey, deeecceeennt story line, and good action. If you thought Joy Ride sounded good, Bones sounds fantastic! New Line really put out some dough on the sound and special effects in this film! Plus it's mastered in DTSES and DDEX! I highly recommend you pick up Bones, if I can find a copy for under $20, it's mine!

Could this be signs of the return of the Horror genre? If these recent movies are any indication, we may be done with the I Know What You Did Last Summer and Screams of the world!
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    rented this over the weekend. what a great thriller. the sound was excellent, and the movie itself was great! i kept waiting for it to get cheesy and fall apart (as most thrillers/horrors do as the story unravels), but this kept it together and kept me intrigued through the whole movie. very well done! definitely worth a rental! it's actually going on my 'to buy' list...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    This movie sucked a$$. That ending was a joke. The acting was a joke. Even the deleting scenes proved they didnt know what they wanted to do. They shot the freaking movie twice.
    Jeepers Creepers was waaaaaay better.
  • Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited March 2002
    This was a good one. I don't think it get's a "scary" label, but it was suspenseful, and the sound through all the Polks was awesome! That alone was worth the rental. Damn I love these speakers!!! Well worth a watch! (Although I agree with scottvamp, Jeepers rates higher on the giving you the willies scale)

Ron

Onkyo 494
    rt800I front's
    cs400I center
    fx300I rears
    PSW350
    And a big blue "Lazy Boy" right in the middle of it.
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    Good lord, Jeepers Creepers was one of the WORST movies I've ever seen, honestly. Joy Ride was pretty damn good, it kept me interested and on edge throughout.
  • johnnyamerika
    edited March 2002
    I thought jeepers sucked too....but I'm a big horror buff, so....
  • OrangeToupee
    edited March 2002
    I too am a huge horror buff (what's wrong with us?) but I couldn't manage to get the sneer off of my face as I watched that movie. I was entirely removed from our two erstwhile hero's after the first twenty minutes of being forced to listen to their "witty" car-ride banter. By the end of the movie I was completely indifferent to them and that farcical, wing-sprouting villain. Sure, I jumped a couple of times, but that movie was more silly and obnoxious than involving and compelling. That's just the way I saw it.

I saw Valentine recently, and got some chills and thrills from it, you've probably already seen it.
  • johnnyamerika
    edited March 2002
    No, I missed that one, I wasn't expecting anything good...I'll have to rent it!
  • OrangeToupee
    edited March 2002
    Another stylish slasher movie with hot chicks and some good "aaahhh!!!!" moments. It's hard not to like it. If you don't like it, I'll watch J. Creepers again as punishment (or at least say that I did).
  • johnnyamerika
    edited March 2002
    hah hah hah! it's a deal! :)
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited April 2002
    Valentine, Bones and Joy Ride...thanks for recommendations guys...I'll check 'em out when the wife's not home (scares easily).
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • spawn1031
    spawn1031 Posts: 14
    edited April 2002
    Joy Ride? Sounds familiar... who's the star? Jeepers Creepers... is that the movie where those little black eels run around on the floor, get into corpses and re-animate them? Get into the living and make zombies out of them? With the burnt out detective who coins the phrase, "Thrill me."
    Personally I'm a John Carpenter disciple. Halloween, The Thing (remake), and 2 of the all time greatest... They Live, and Prince of Darkness!
    I'm also a Brian Yuzna fan who directed ReAnimator starring the great Jeffery Combs (Weyon on DS9).
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by spawn1031
    Joy Ride? Sounds familiar... who's the star?

paul walker is the main character, supported by leelee sobieski & steve zahn...
  • johnnyamerika
    edited April 2002
    Paul Walker is the blandest actor in Hollywood :)

Glad to see a John Carpender fan...unfortunatley he hasn't been up to anything good in a while. Ghost's of Mars? Uggg. Vampires?? Gahhhhh!!! He needs another Thing, or Halloween, or even The Fog!
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Jeepers Creepers... is that the movie where those little black eels run around on the floor, get into corpses and re-animate them? Get into the living and make zombies out of them? With the burnt out detective who coins the phrase, "Thrill me."
    What in the hell are you talking about? Seems you got your movies a little mixed up. It was about this really cool demon that eats people. Got to love it.;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Joy ride wasn't bad
    we rented it, she wanted it, I could care less about it, but in the end I liked it.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.