Thinking about upgrading sound card maybe?

polk500
polk500 Posts: 1,171
edited April 2014 in Going Digital
So I've been thinking about how I can I improve my computer based music.

I'm useing a HP note book 6050 manufacter in 2009 with Jriver program connected to a DAC magic 100 useing a MIT USB cable and MIT interconnects to a HK 3600 AVR and Douglas cables to my VR3 modded Rti a 7. (Two plugs for these guys)

And it sounds good;I had to download a new driver for the DAC a while ago really improved the sound and somewhere in the future I'm going to get a high end USB converter.

But in the meantime I've been thinking about the sound card and maybe if possible upgrading it if that possible or nessauary ?

The sound card that installed is a HDaudio or at least that what I think it is.

So hence this thread is it worth it am I chasing after something that isn't worth the effort.

Cheers
Roger
Post edited by polk500 on

Comments

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2014
    are you still using the sound card if you are using USB?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    Well Steve that a good question that I don't no the answer too....but if that the case then I don't need to upgrade it.
    Hmmm
    Cheers
    Roger
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    edited April 2014
    11tsteve wrote: »
    are you still using the sound card if you are using USB?

I didn't think so....could be wrong though.

Want to up your game ? Better dac....get away from using the receiver as the pre....assuming all your audio is in lossless ? Not converted MP3 ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    No MP3 looking at a pre for down the road.

All cd ripped FLAC.
    Cheers
    Roger
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2014
    if you want to be sure, shut of the sound in the BIOS, install ASIO4ALL.... I believe it still should work.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    Hello Steve,

Not quite sure what you're talking about, if you would be so kind as to elaborate that would be fantastic.

Cheers
    Roger
  • 11tsteve
    edited April 2014
    sorry, it may be more trouble than its worth. Your laptop has built in sound, which can be disabled in the BIOS (setup), which can be accessed usually by hitting the F10 key on boot up.

Then, install ASIO4ALL as a driver for Jriver..... http://www.asio4all.com

How is Jriver currently configured for playback?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    I do believe I already disable it when I install JRiver. As for playback I'm using ASIO.

Cheers
    Roger
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited April 2014
    I would forget about the sound card and go for the USB/SPDIF converter. You can get very decent ones for between $150-$300.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2014
    Rodger

you downloaded and/or install a driver for your DAC magic 100 and your hooking it up via usb cable so you are using your DAC and not your sound card to play your music (as the driver is letting your dac become the new sound card) so you don't need to change anything :)

for my setup I just right click on the volume control icon on my task bar and then click on "Playback device" and switch between my dac and sound card that way!

sidenote: sometimes a device may not show up as a option via the "playback device" way untill its turn on and plugged into the usb port of your pc!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    Thanks Steve,

So I downloaded the 4all got it working on Jriver and one of the first things I notice was the incoming sample rate on my DAC when from 44.1 to 48.

The sound quality seem to improve will have to listen some more but I do believe so.

Dragon it on my long list of things. :-)

Thanks voltz I been reading more and your correct. I will try playing directing from the laptop and see if I can switch back and forth.

Cheers
    Roger
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    polk500 wrote: »
    Thanks Steve,

So I downloaded the 4all got it working on Jriver and one of the first things I notice was the incoming sample rate on my DAC when from 44.1 to 48.

The sound quality seem to improve will have to listen some more but I do believe so.

Dragon it on my long list of things. :-)

Thanks voltz I been reading more and your correct. I will try playing directing from the laptop and see if I can switch back and forth.

Cheers
    Roger

Well after listening all day,I've come to the conclusion that it sounds good. As for sample rate of 48 well that just a setting that was checked marked. Changing it back and forth from 44.1 to 48 I couldn't discern any difference.

What I did learn was that it appears that I was useing the laptops sound card and not the DAC 100 before or maybe not anyway the settings are changed to use the DAC 100 now.

Man I feel some days I'm going backwards on this audio journey so I'm done messing around for today just poured some Jack D over some ice and just going to listen unwind....

Cheers
    Roger
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2014
    polk500 wrote: »
    ..................I'm done messing around for today just poured some Jack D over some ice and just going to listen unwind....

Cheers
    Roger

That's the best way to do it....so what ya' spinning
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    Dire Straits sultans of swing the very best of.

Cheers
    Roger
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    Next in the que is Billie Joe & Norah foreverly,

Cheers
    Roger
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2014
    I have and like both my only issue with Billie/Norah album as I wish they would have mixed it up a bit with actual duet solo on parts instead the entire album singing in sync
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    That's a good point although they do let each other come to the forefront on some songs. It took awhile before I could say I really like this style now it's one of my favorites.

Cheers
    Roger