How to get USB Audio Support on my Nexus 5?

DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,471
edited March 2014 in Going Digital
Just picked up a Google Nexus 5 phone. It appears it can output audio via USB, but not without some work. Question is, which route should I take? Keep in mind I'm a newb when it comes to rooting phones & stuff like that.

The easy way it appears would be to install USB Audio Player Pro. I've read mixed reviews on the usability of the app. Anybody use it? Secondly, I could install CyanogenMod 11 in place of the Google OS. Frankly , never having rooted a phone before this option is kind of intimidating. Are there any other options I'm missing?

The end application is to use my phone & a USB DAC to feed my Schitt Asgard 2 headphone amp in my work rig.

Help!

-Dave
Post edited by DaveHo on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited March 2014
    Honestly at this point I personally gave up trying on my HTC One. In the long run, your source files are not super good (unless your using FLAC that is), so the difference between line level and the phones DAC and a good USB DAC can only help it so much.

I am just looking at getting a JDSLabs C182 so its super portable (I get up from my desk a lot) and calling it a day.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DaveHo
    edited March 2014
    See, that's the thing. I am using Flac, & I'd like to get the best I can out of it. It'd be nice to at least be able to compare for starters.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited March 2014
    Rooting and installing custom roms on the Nexus 5 is easy! Read up on xda forums. Always be sure to backup important stuff along the way. You can always go back to stock if you don't like the results, but after flashing a few roms, I doubt you will!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2014
    Keep in mind that not all USB DACs will work with a phone, which DAC are you looking at?
  • DaveHo
    edited March 2014
    Needs to be a powered dac,correct? Haven't really narrowed it down yet, but was considering the Topping D20 because it's cheap & seems to have some proponents over @ headfi. I see you have the DAC itx. That's also in the running.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2014
    I have an HRT Microstreamer that I user with my Note 3; it works well w/ the stock music player and can run with or without any external power. So far I've been pretty happy with it (use it in the car & work mostly).
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs