Sennheiser RS170 Shopping

Options
Tornado Red
Tornado Red Posts: 939
edited March 2014 in Headphones
Shopping for a new set of cans, it's been awhile (like 15 years). Looking for general listening from home rig, plus occasional iPod use. Would like wireless, Kleer tech looks like a feature I might like plus surround and lossless. I have a chance to pick up the 170s for $249 CDN. Anyone have a take on these, or anything around that price/feature range? Thanks...
Post edited by Tornado Red on

Comments

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sorry bro, mine are with cables. But at 200us, the Grado 225i's deliver incredible detail.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I had the RS160 but my sister borrowed them cause she liked them so much with no intent of returning them. so I bought the RS180 which sounded even better, the kleen tech they use is the best I've ever heard, works really great without any hissing ect... and the sound is pretty good.

I have lots of cans to compared them to, and they may not sound like my Senn HD650 but they still sound very very good.

I used them for late nite movies and it is nice not to be tied down to a cord, like going to fridge and just to reach something far away ect..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-Sennheiser-RS180-On-Ear-Wireless-Home-Cinema-HiFi-Headphones-/131109458433?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Those are "wireless" Senns, right? Don't think I can be much help. I really wish that they would tell us what the wireless series is comparable to in the wired series.

For example, I've heard the HD 555, 595 and 600. One would expect that with the wireless feature and comparing price ($200+) that they're maybe like HD 518s or HD 555/558s. IMO, the 555/558s make pretty good movie phones depending on your amp.

I'm sure you'll tell us what you think.

Are there "any" Grados that are "wireless"?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I haven't seen any wireless Grados in my search, but some others here will know better than me. Voltz, searching has made me want the RS180 over the 170 for performance/price difference. I'm obviously ignorant about this, but I was looking at the cables that come with it, and how it connects. Seems like connecting to my AVR will be the way to go. But what do I do if I want to connect to, say, an iPod? Can I hard wire to an iPod, or am I stuck being near the unit's receiver? If that's the case, seems like I'd be "wire free" yet lose portability, if that makes any sense.
  • voltz
    edited March 2014
    Options
    yeah these are Sennheisers

Basically you connect the base unit to what ever device you want, like you would a headphone, it has a audio in that is just a mini 3.5 plug to a 3.5 plug which has a 1/4" adapter so you can hook it up either small plug or bigger 1/4. so it hooks to any ipod & ipad phone kindle, receiver ect..

Now it does have a pair of rca line out's but no rca line in - except the mini plug. but I think tmy old RS160 had a rca line in. dont know about the RS170's (or how they sound)

the RS160's are more closed and don't bleed sound out as much as the open RS180's do, but the 180 sound was a pleasant surprise. I have the Senn 598's & Senn 650HD's & Grado RS2i's. I would say they sound as good as my 598's and maybe a little more open sounding -cleaner - different. but equal to the 598's sound.

I just hooked them up to my Marantz SACD player and playing Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman" SACD and wow not bad at all :) its been awhile since I've listen to music with them! ok The Senn 650HD's with a signal cable replacement cable steals the show but these phones are really sweet with music :) highly recommended!

I don't think I've seen and Grado wireless, but I had some older Senn's and some wireless sony's that both hissed if you moved around to much but these never ever make a sound, you will swear that they have a cord untill poof the sound is gone cause you walk out of their range, mine cuts out in my back yard as I near my back fence.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• voltz
    edited March 2014
    Options
    hmm wont let me edit it text.. been 20 min i guess

about your ipod - yes it has to be near the base unit and plugged into it, and the base unit is ac without battery power. so I think i get what you were saying about having to leave it back with the unit as you walked around. not potable that way but the RS 160 is battery powered with a bout a 3" round base unit, so it could be carried around but bulky.