Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited March 2014
    Options
    jaygax wrote: »
    that's what i fear the most!

No one hits a grand slam the first time at bat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2014
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    No one hits a grand slam the first time at bat.

B.S. I did
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options
    No, you didn't.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jayce1971
    Jayce1971 Posts: 38
    edited March 2014
    Options
    There are very few decent pre amps or integrated amps that have tone controls, and for folks that own a good piece of gear that does, they generally defeat the tone controls. My music rig doesn't have tone controls and I guarantee you there is nothing boring about the sound.

That's a failed argument. There are many here, including myself that have had expereinces with pricey pieces that failed to please.

What is the point of a pre if it can't adjust treble or bass? What do they have then, simply volume? Again, I find flat response curve devoid of everything musical... jmho. The second point was supposed to be a bit of humor. I'm sure that the guys paying $400+ for imitation XLO power cords and $300 for imitation Odin interconnects, are also discovering the same thing. It can be a bit daunting to figure out what you NEED and what you want when it comes down to details. Personally, imho I've listened to $10k plus systems featuring Meridian, Krell, Mark Levinson, and compared them blindly to Yamaha and NAD. You might be surprised to know, I chose the latter for overall musical enjoyment. They seemed more "alive" to me. I hate flat audio... imo, sounds like an old transistor radio. But, each to their own, just hope the op can find some enjoyment from his new speakers.
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.
  • jaygax
    jaygax Posts: 153
    edited March 2014
    Options
    jayce1971,

i have enjoyed them a lot! thank you for chiming in. everybody has his own points here. and every point brings us closer to that sound nirvana we are searching for in music and movies. this is very educational for me. i started here with an ONKYO HTiB and i remember F1nut is one of the guys here who helped me a lot through my transition. im thankful for everybody here.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What is the point of a pre if it can't adjust treble or bass? What do they have then, simply volume?

You haven't heard many pre amps I take it. All put their stamp on the sound, from tone to sound stage and yes, volume control is very important.
    Again, I find flat response curve devoid of everything musical... jmho.

You're using the wrong pre amp in that case.
    Personally, imho I've listened to $10k plus systems featuring Meridian, Krell, Mark Levinson, and compared them blindly to Yamaha and NAD. You might be surprised to know, I chose the latter for overall musical enjoyment. They seemed more "alive" to me.

The sound signature of those first 3 are very different, with Krell being about as clinical as it gets. Yamaha's house sound is known to be bright, while NAD tends to be warmer. I'm thinking you haven't taken into account the rest of the gear/room when coming to your conclusions.
    I hate flat audio... imo, sounds like an old transistor radio.

Again, the wrong gear and/or lack of synergy. A good rig doesn't need tone controls. Cutting and/or boosting limited frequency ranges results in an unnatural sound reproduction.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Again, the wrong gear and/or lack of synergy. A good rig doesn't need tone controls. Cutting and/or boosting limited frequency ranges results in an unnatural sound reproduction.

Cha-ching !!

Basically though, a pre-amp is for volume control....and source switching. Another benefit is well built analog output stages and power supplies that also have a lot to do with the final sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Jayce, you need to head down to LSAF this year and hear what good systems are all about. One thought is that if you brought in your own music for those demos, that music might have sounded great on your system, but all those flaws in the recordings might have been revealed in the higher end systems. If you didn't bring in your own music, then you probably weren't gauging those systems with music you were familiar with, which makes gauging a system very difficult to say the least.

may i inquire where that LSAF is? when?
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    nevermind. i googled LSAF. lone star audio fest in dallas. that's interesting. i love to visit. there's also an emotiva fest in TN.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Looks nice, but you might consider getting the rti's further away from that wall. 12" minimum, but the further the better.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options
    They should also be toed in slightly.

President of Club Polk

• jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Looks nice, but you might consider getting the rti's further away from that wall. 12" minimum, but the further the better.
    . that far? what's the reason for the distance? i'll try to play with the distance as soon as i get home.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    They should also be toed in slightly.

forgive me for my ignorance, but what's toed in?
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited March 2014
    Options
    forgive me for my ignorance, but what's toed in?

Angled in slightly towards the center of room.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Angled in slightly towards the center of room.

thanks! i'll do that this afternoon.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Already toed in and 12 inches apart from the back wall. Improved soundstage now.
  • Jayce1971
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Guys, hoping to get there. Maybe I'll finally find some answers. In Corpus right now for a few months, but hoping I can get a weekend off to check out the "oil barons" setups! All of my pre's have been solid state, (exception is a tube receiver... (big output Sansui receiver I picked up for $35.) Sounded awesome, but again, had tone controls which I fully utilize. My Golden Theatre even has tone controls, though I've yet to hook it up... (sitting packaged in a crate). I've simply never enjoyed audio with a flat response. Always end up boosting the high ends and scooping the mids, (the "California" e.q. smile). I've ordered my 4 cu ft. box for my Dayton Ultimax 12" sub. Will be the .1 channel in my 5.1 setup. 1000watts each voice coil in two ohm stereo. Can't wait! Hope to see you in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area while the show is going on. P.S. My music is fairly simple. A lot of RUSH, and Pink Floyd with at bit of modern rock thrown in. I play bass guitar, so it's not a mindbender to figure out what I enjoy listening to.
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Already toed in and 12 inches apart from the back wall. Improved soundstage now.

Congratulations! When you posted your pic in AVS, I responded to it with permission to advise you about toe in and distance from the wall, even explained why, guess you must have missed that........oops, sorry, gotta go, Pink Floyd's animals is playing for me personally right now :mrgreen:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2014
    Options

If you can pull them out even further, you can reduce the "fattening" of the bass, they can be less muddy, and even more toe in depending on your seating distance.

My seating distance is 11' and my mains are 8.5' apart, the toe in looks like this;

20140123_212920_zps6cd8a41e.jpg

The imaging creates the illusion that the vocals are coming from the center speaker when it's not. And of course, that's only part of what imaging does :cheesygrin:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    If you can pull them out even further, you can reduce the "fattening" of the bass, they can be less muddy, and even more toe in depending on your seating distance.

My seating distance is 11' and my mains are 8.5' apart, the toe in looks like this;

The imaging creates the illusion that the vocals are coming from the center speaker when it's not. And of course, that's only part of what imaging does :cheesygrin:

Looks familiar...:lol:
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Looks familiar...:lol:

LOL, I even used you as a reference in this guys thread, he hasn't made mention of any of my comments regarding power issues or set up issues on two different forums, I guess someone told him I was a bad influence or something and to just ignore me :mrgreen:

• F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options

Much better. I can't tell from the pics, so I'll just put this out there. The general rule of thumb for proper toe in, from the sweet spot (your seat) you should just be able to see the inside panel of each speaker.

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    edited March 2014
    Options
    LOL, I even used you as a reference in this guys thread, he hasn't made mention of any of my comments regarding power issues or set up issues on two different forums, I guess someone told him I was a bad influence or something and to just ignore me :mrgreen:

You're a bad bad man...
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options

That's a bad **** setup for a bad man like you. Thats why im avoiding u geoff. A very bad influence. Your emos are seducing me. Lol!
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Congratulations! When you posted your pic in AVS, I responded to it with permission to advise you about toe in and distance from the wall, even explained why, guess you must have missed that........oops, sorry, gotta go, Pink Floyd's animals is playing for me personally right now :mrgreen:

Been busy with work, cycling, and my newly arrived HTPC lately. Radeon 8210 can already play DTS and dolby master audio formats. I have to check out my avs account tomorrow. Just watched homefront. Jason Statham's got great skills! Mkv file on dts ma. XBMC rules!
  • Jayce1971
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Good Lord, is that an Emo monoblock on each main? I guess they outta really sing, then?
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Geoff4rfc,

im envious with your setup. rtia9 for surrounds? wow! wood working skills are impressive. those stands for the rtia9's looks good. checked out your pics on photobucket. damn! why do you have to include a pic of your home cooked steak? teaser!
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Jayce1971 wrote: »
    Good Lord, is that an Emo monoblock on each main? I guess they outta really sing, then?

Yes, they're monoblocked and yes, they can go LOUD and STRONG!!
    Geoff4rfc,

im envious with your setup. rtia9 for surrounds? wow! wood working skills are impressive. those stands for the rtia9's looks good. checked out your pics on photobucket. damn! why do you have to include a pic of your home cooked steak? teaser!

The 2nd set of A9's were originally WIDE, but in this temporary set up, the room isn't there. I even had them boxed for a while and then thought, what the heck, and tried them as rears and it turns out they work pretty well back there considering the small space.

And thanks for the kind words, my stands and gear rack, all compliments of Lowe's lumber and Craftsman tools :biggrin: