audio nirvana?

Options
juice21
juice21 Posts: 1,866
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
recently being introduced to mile's davis' kind of blue recording, i was amazed by this CD! it opened up a whole new world of music to me. since purchasing this disc i have added other jazz CD's now to my collection, and have a list of even more to buy. one of the greatest additions to my new but growing collection of jazz related items, is not a CD at all, but the book: Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece by Ashley Kahn, recommened to me by Ken Swauger in my last post on kind of blue. i didn't think this CD could get any better, but kicking back, cranking it up, and reading this excellently written book on the making of this recording, and the processes that led up to it, adds a whole other level of appreciation for this masterpeice, and brings it one step closer to becoming 'real'. could this be audio nirvana? if it isn't, its got to be damn close. if you love this recording, and want to be swept up and brought closer to it's beauty, pick up this book, sit back and enjoy...:D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by juice21
    i didn't think this CD could get any better

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the book.

P.S. If you really want to hear KOB, you'll need a turntable. ;) The latest Classic Records reissue is phenomenal - did you know that up until very recently all the versions [digital included] were mastered at the incorrect speed? Classic has speed-corrected, re-mastered, and released on excellent quality vinyl. It's startling how good it sounds.

:cool:
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I've gotta get both. I love the CD.

I just picked up **** Brew for $12.98 (used). 2 discs, 6 tracks of greatness.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by rlw

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the book.

P.S. If you really want to hear KOB, you'll need a turntable. ;) The latest Classic Records reissue is phenomenal - did you know that up until very recently all the versions [digital included] were mastered at the incorrect speed? Classic has speed-corrected, re-mastered, and released on excellent quality vinyl. It's startling how good it sounds.

:cool:

i've read that since purchasing this CD. this version was the first for me, so i can't compare it to any earlier versions. a turntable is definitely in my future, it's just a little ways off, probably when i can afford a dedicated 2 channel set-up...:D
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    I've gotta get both. I love the CD.

I just picked up **** Brew for $12.98 (used). 2 discs, 6 tracks of greatness.

I picked up the Columbia 6-eyes pressing of Brew for about that price, mint condition.

If you really like his music from this period, and want some audiophool kandy, try the Mosaic box sets: The Complete **** Brew Sessions and The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions . They're pricey - a couple hundred bucks each - but they are sooo sweeeet - excellent, excellent masterings, much better than the recent CD versions [in fact, the folks at Mosaic did the engineering for the CD versions, and said they corrected stuff in the LP versions!], and the vinyl they use has about 0 surface noise.

They're limited edition as well, so you can con yourself into believing that you're making an investment. :cool: