SDTrans384

bikerboy
bikerboy Posts: 1,205
edited March 2014 in Going Digital
I recently received a sd card player that plays wav files. It sounds incredible. It can play 32/384 files if you can find them. I have been listening to 16/44 files for the most part. This along with the the Relaixed2 preamp has brought my system to a whole new level.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/142562-microsd-memory-card-transport-project.html
Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
Post edited by bikerboy on

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2013
    Kewl!:cool:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2013
    +1 Very kewl.So only wav files,no flac?
  • bikerboy
    edited March 2013
    From what I have read on the diy audio thread, playing from wav is the most direct way these two computer guys know to get the best sound. It does sound much better than the shigaclone cdp. It sounds like sacd even though I am playing 16/44 files from regular cds. No remote yet but there is talk of an arduino add-on for remote control. Rich may have me getting into the arduino world yet. Thoughts of integrating the TPA Buffalo and the SDTrans384 into the case I already built for the Buffalo. It never ends!
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2013
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Rich may have me getting into the arduino world yet.

I knew there would be I2C control with LCD in your future!:cheesygrin:

I have six inputs now, two being I2S via modded Denon and Amanero USB to I2S module. An OTTO II switches between them. That was the last bit of programming I had to do and that makes me happy as I don't like programming. I really love having remote control of the DAC.

If you go Arduino, look at what Corpius offers as a shield that plugs on to an Arduino UNO.

http://ce-designs.net/index.php/shop/single-pcbs/buffalo-shield

He also designed a controller or Arduino clone.

http://ce-designs.net/index.php/shop/complete-kits/ce644-controller-kit

My afil with him is internet forum friend and satisfied customer as I bought two of his early shields and currently use one in my DAC. The shield minimizes wiring and has additional I2C outputs for serial control of other devices along with IR input for remote and backlight control for LCD screens. It has a level converter to drop the I2C voltage to the 3.3v the BIII requires. He supplies his own version of the code that HiFiDuino started.

The only other add on I would suggest is the Sparkfun I2C LCD extra IO. That reduces wires to the LCD through I2C control of the display.

http://www.electrofunltd.com/2011/10/i2c-lcd-extra-io.html#!/2011/10/i2c-lcd-extra-io.html

The best display (although no backlight control) is the OLED. Much better off axis view than LCD, crisper, clearer. You can add code to shut display off in time of your choosing. IIRC it requires direct power due to exceeding Arduino mA output capability. Still 3v or 5v power. Color choices are blue, yellow and green. Pinout may be same as LED, have to check if I2C extra LCD module would work with it.

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd0420dzwag5-p-4219.html

NHD-0420DZW-AG5-front_LRG.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • bikerboy
    edited April 2013
    I replaced the ps with a ti tps 7s4700 eval board ldo regulator. Sounds even better. Can't have the computer on any more. Too much noise. Listening to Captain Beefheart. Sounds better than I can imagine.
  • bikerboy
    edited March 2014
    Finally made a case for the sdtrans384. Jataba and perf steel. No buttons for play ect , remote only for now. If I get motivated I will make the 4 buttons but not a priority. It still sounds better through the I2S compared to the Bnc.
  • bikerboy
    edited March 2014
    Didnt load the pics fast enough.
  • 123dme
    123dme Posts: 22
    edited March 2014
    Really nice looking unit.