New receiver in da house!

Options
ROHfan
ROHfan Posts: 1,014
edited March 2014 in Electronics
Thanks to fellow member, Kurt300, I'm the proud new owner of an Onkyo TX-NR818. I've spent all day with it and I'm beginning to understand how awesome this AVR really is. Very pleased with how Audyssey XT32 set everything up. I'm playing around with bass management and have actually gotten my BIC F12 sub to sound a little better than its usual boominess, thanks, in part, to some fellow members' suggestions of plugging the port then running Audyssey. Still got my eye on a HSU VTF-2, though. :) One thing I can't figure out yet is how to use the "Sound Program Edit" but I'm sure I'll figure it out. If anyone is considering this AVR and has any questions, feel free to ask. And to current owners, if you have any tips you'd like to share with me on this piece of equipment, let it fly.
TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
Post edited by ROHfan on

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Congrats on the new avr. What are the available xover settings for the sub on the onk?
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2014
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new avr. What are the available xover settings for the sub on the onk?

40Hz-200Hz. From 40-100 in 10Hz increments, then 120, 150, 180 and 200Hz. Can be set individually for center and speaker pairs.
  • deronb1
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »
    40Hz-200Hz. From 40-100 in 10Hz increments, then 120, 150, 180 and 200Hz. Can be set individually for center and speaker pairs.

Cool. I like my pio, but it jumps from 50 hz to 80hz. My bookies roll off around 60 hz so i am looking at another avr that can fill the gap. Really not a big deal for HT as i usually set it at 80 hz, but for music, i want more options.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Love the Onkyo sound and always have a spot for my 607.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Congrats on your new receiver. Glad your enjoying the features :)
    Randy/Maine
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Have fun with the new toy, I think you will enjoy it.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Enjoy your 818, it is a better buy than the TX-NR828 as the 828 does not have Audesey XT 32.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Congrats! I'm currently evaluating your 818's lesser brother, the 717, Wish I could afford the 818 or this years 828.
    I can endorse the 717, as long as your okay with having only audyssey 2eq, it does a really good job considering its cost. I was coming from the 705 with multeq, and the 2eq does as good of a job albeit no sub eq. On a further note the 717, operates extremely cool, in comparison to some of the older onkyos. With the x1x series Onkyo seems to have eliminated some of the issues that plagued earlier models such as my 705. The x1x has a great feature to cost ratio, however, the x2x series has added internal bluetooth and wifi radios but are missing other features that were available such as xt 32 on the 818 and pre-outs on the 717.

Congrats on 818 thats a real good model.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I can endorse the 717, as long as your okay with having only audyssey 2eq, it does a really good job considering its cost. I was coming from the 705 with multeq, and the 2eq does as good of a job albeit no sub eq. On a further note the 717, operates extremely cool, in comparison to some of the older onkyos. With the x1x series Onkyo seems to have eliminated some of the issues that plagued earlier models such as my 705. The x1x has a great feature to cost ratio, however, the x2x series has added internal bluetooth and wifi radios but are missing other features that were available such as xt 32 on the 818 and pre-outs on the 717.

Congrats on 818 thats a real good model.

EH 2EQ pretty much sucks. It is "ok" if you have a pretty good room layout but otherwise its still isnt as good as MultiEQ, specifically since it doesnt do jack with your sub at all.

Myself I would ONLY step up to a AVR with at min XT. That or ARC or MCACC (which has its own flaws sub 60hz).

To the OP congrats! The 709 and 809 were on my list to buy but they are long gone. At this point considering something from Anthem or Pionner, thought I honestly wish Cambridge's AVR had more than 2EQ and I would add it to the list.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • deronb1
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I havent heard an auto calibration that i can live with. I just turn it off and do a little tweaking
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2014
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    I havent heard an auto calibration that i can live with. I just turn it off and do a little tweaking

You know, I've never been fond of it myself. It always kind of sounded like a synthetic surround applied to the source. But that changed when I got my MLs. After reading some tips on AVS on how to run Audyssey XT32 with planar speakers I have found the sound that I'm looking for. Everything sounds natural and crisp and I can pinpoint the instruments on stage in front of me. Just MHO, of course.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited March 2014
    Options
    As a precaution to earlier models, give it room to breathe.

Enjoy!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Nice to hear the good feedback. I always wanted to try an Onkyo and considered some of their PreAmps. Plus, XT32 has been high on the list of things to try also. I loved the Pioneer but will see how the things work out. The 806 is just something I picked up cheap to repair and flip as a stepping stone to the 818.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Cuchulain
    Cuchulain Posts: 66
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'm getting used to my new Onkyo as well. Actually the Integra DTR 50.4. My last two units were the Pioneer VSX-D458 and most recently a Yamaha RX-V 671. Really prefer the sound from this Integra; the video is superior from the cable box too. (going thru this AVR). I wanted something with pre outs and this thing is just feature laden with all the latest. No 4K pass through but I go direct to the TV from the OPPO anyway. I'm hoping this will do for at least 10 years! Never thought I'd own an Onkyo product but no buyer's remorse here at all.
    AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
    TV: LG 50PS70
    DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
    MAINS: Polk RTiA7
    CENTER: Polk CSiA6
    Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
    SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)
    REARS: Polk R1
    SUB: Polk PSW 125
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    BTW, dealing with ROHfan was a pleasure, for anyone's future reference.

Why, thank you! The same goes for Kurt300, people. Class act all the way and he had a lot of patience dealing with my barrage of questions! :)
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I slapped in a pair of external fans on top due to the glass shelf it sits in and it's as cool as a cucumber. In fact, my Onkyo has it's own set of fans that never needed to turn on yet.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111