new polk audio RTi12's from ebay

Options
jaygax
jaygax Posts: 153
edited March 2014 in Speakers
hello polkies. i finally got my RTi12's yesterday. two HUGE boxes sitting on my garage yesterday when i woke up from a nap in the afternoon. opened them up and replaced my SDA2's. im not really impressed by the sound. i guess it really needs time to be broken in. how long? i miss the SDA's soundstage. but im moving my SDA's to my living room for strictly two channel music listening. the RTi12's are really beautiful though. the wood finish is fantastic. i got the cherry color. i didn't imagine them to be really huge. i mean literally, they are! very heavy too. im still using my adcom GFA 555ii to feed them power. but that's soon gonna be replaced by an emotiva XPA 5 soon.

well that's it for now. more pictures coming tomorrow i guess.
Post edited by jaygax on

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sure tease us :smile: congrats
    Randy/Maine
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited March 2014
    Options
    In about 20-25 hours you should start to notice improvement. I've seen anywhere from 80-250 hours for total break-in depending on the quality of the components.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I purchased mine from Polk's ebay store as well, about 2 months ago and I agree they sound pretty bad at first (no separation and no detail). No worries though, I would guess I have about 100-150 hours on them, and they now sound beautiful, they'll open up.
    I sure the Adcom will sound great, but I would love to hear your thoughts on the xpa-5 paired with the Rti-12's. That's a path I am considering as well.

Congrats you will love them.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • drummer86
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If your woofers are loosening up you're in trouble. It's my understanding that the capacitors are doing the breaking in, not the woofers. Same reason why you have to re-break them in if you do crossover mods.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

• nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited March 2014
    Options
    sorry to break it to you buddy, but if music is your thing and you had SDA speakers previously, you will never be happy with the RTi12.
    Here is my experience. I had the SDA 1C with new tweeters for over a yr. Love the sound, hate the size/look. My wife forced me to replace it with something else that looks better in the living room, I bought the Rti12 and used for almost a yr. Never like the sound; bright, boxy, no soundstage...just bad compare to the SDA. When Polk had the 50% promotion, I decided to get the Lsim and sold everything else. With Music, Lsim is 90% of the 1C, still not the same.

Finally I am happy and so is my wife.
  • drummer86
    edited March 2014
    Options
    He did mention that he moved the SDAs to another room for 2-channel. Lots of people are very happy with their Rti(A)s. I'm sure once you get em broken in you'll appreciate what they bring to the table.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    edited March 2014
    Options
    They are picky with palcement. I have mine about 8" from the back wall to get decent bass out of them. They are good for HT that is for sure. it dependson what you like for sound.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Jayce1971
    Jayce1971 Posts: 38
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Jaygax, enjoy! Mine are still shrinkwrapped on a pallet in my garage. I won't get to use them for a couple of months :( Can't wait to set up the new home theater.
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited March 2014
    Options
    but that's soon gonna be replaced by an emotiva XPA 5 soon.

Inherently bright speakers with an inherently bright amp means your ears will bleed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I love mine. Thought they were huge compared to the Monitor 70's I replaced with them. Then I found a pair of SDA's on CL in my town and they suddenly became small. Enjoy! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    oh boy! this thread has gotten very long. i dont have time to read it. i'll read you comments when i get home. at work right now.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited March 2014
    Options
    jaygax wrote: »
    oh boy! this thread has gotten very long. i dont have time to read it. i'll read you comments when i get home. at work right now.

My eyes are bleeding from trying to read all these posts too, what is this... a pfb thread
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited March 2014
    Options
    My eyes are bleeding from trying to read all these posts too, what is this... a pfb thread

nevermind....
  • drummer86
    edited March 2014
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Inherently bright speakers with an inherently bright amp means your ears will bleed.

Several forum members have Emo amps on their Rtis and say that they tamed the brightness. Geoff comes to mind with his A9 setup.

• jeremymarcinko
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not running Emotiva but I am considering it. My RTi's are not bright at all in my room/setup (basement mancave). Now the Monitor 10b's I had prior were much "brighter" by comparison. In a different room I could see them being considered bright. I thought I would move the Monitor10b's upstairs to the den, which has a porcelain tile floor and lots of windows, I could not tolerate how harsh the 10b's were up there. I imagine the RTi's would have a similar effect if I would move them upstairs. I guess my point is "inherently bright" can be a good thing in some rooms/situations.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • don0
    don0 Posts: 78
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I purchased mine from Polk's ebay store as well, about 2 months ago and I agree they sound pretty bad at first (no separation and no detail)."

Just curious.

What does speakers have to do with separation? I thought that the source material and processor determined how well stereo was separated.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Separation comes from accuracy. The more accurate the end sound is the better separated each given instrument/vocalist will be perceived. The more space between the given musicians, the better the listener will be able to point instruments within the sound-stage. Every component plays a significant role.
  • don0
    don0 Posts: 78
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks jeremymarcinko

I was thinking about stereo separation between speakers.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    alright everybody, my home theater will be a full RTi line setup with emotiva XPA5 in the future. i have hope that brightness can be tamed. as of today, i think nothing can beat the soundstage of the SDA line. that's why im moving my SDA2a's to our living room for strictly music listening together with my vinyl collection. the adcom amp will go with the setup too. that way, i can still enjoy that mysterious SDA sound. i wonder why polk discontinued that kind of technology when it really works so good?

the only thing that's been hindering me about getting an XPA5 is my other hobby, cycling. i really want to get a full dura-ace groupset. well, i have to choose between the music/HT hobby and cycling.

more pics coming. i was thinking of taking some pictures of my setup later today. thanks for the insights everybody!!!! go POLKIES!!!!!
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ...and why do we need to have at least 100 posts to view the polk classifieds here?
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Because not everyone is honest, unfortunately. 100 posts allows the member to establish themselves a bit before they can buy/sell.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options
    drummer86 wrote: »
    Several forum members have Emo amps on their Rtis and say that they tamed the brightness. Geoff comes to mind with his A9 setup.

Sure, they moved from an AVR that is straining to an amp for the first time. Emo's target customer.

This person moved from an Emo to a Parasound and he is driving LSiM's, an inherently warmer speaker.
    Very nice upgrade - I'm loving life. :)The sound is warmer, more musical, and less fatiguing - all the things I was told here are true.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    is there a parasound amp supporting 5 channels? where to get them? im sure they're much more expensive than the emo's. but im open to suggestions.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    how about the emotiva XPR line? anybody heard them with the RTi/RTiA line?
  • F1nut
    edited March 2014
    Options
    jaygax wrote: »
    is there a parasound amp supporting 5 channels? where to get them? im sure they're much more expensive than the emo's. but im open to suggestions.

Yes. Look at Audiogon, eBay, Hifishark, etc. Marantz makes nice 5 and 7 channel amps as well.

President of Club Polk

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    edited March 2014
    Options
    drummer86 wrote: »

When I got my A9's, I already had the XPA-3, my A9's were introduced into my system with an amp. The first impression was improved detail over my M70's.

After a day or two, the "brightness" started to overwhelm. "Had I made a mistake?"

I added the XPA-2 and tamed the brightness. Two years later, I did a small test of sorts. I listened to my A9's in 2ch with a single song with horns and cymbals (brightness nightmare).

Just AVR with 135wpc = bright, XPA-3 with 200wpc = bright, XPA-2 with 300wpc = tamed highs, XPA-2 bridged with 860wpc = insane headroom.......yeah baby!!!!!

@ OP, you can get the XPA-5, but don't expect the highs to be tamed with that unit.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    edited March 2014
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    RTi12's sound great when powered by XPA-1 monoblocks.

+1

OP, also, if you need more evidence on set up, I can recommend fellow Polkie Ken Brydson, he came over and demoed my set up. He was in a word, impressed. Ken walked away wanting to go buy some CD's :)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Another great amp often over looked is the Outlaw 7500. ($1600)
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7500.html

Its a rebadged ATI 2005 retails ($3595)
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-ati-at2005-5-channel-power-amplifier-2014-02-20-amplifiers-90640
    http://www.ati-amp.com/AT2000.php

I do not have personal experience with this particular amp, but my 120wpc ATI AT1202 drives my RTI12's very well, with no harshness at all in my setup. I would assume the above would be so much better. The 2000 or 3000 series ATI or Outlaw counterpart is on my upgrade list.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    the parasound halo A51 is $4,500.00 (5 channels), emotiva XPR-5(5 channels) $2,299.00. moneywise, emotiva wins! please somebody here with the XPR line powering the RTi/RTiA line chime in. or somebody might've heard the XPR line from somewhere.
  • jaygax
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Another great amp often over looked is the Outlaw 7500. ($1600)
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7500.html

Its a rebadged ATI 2005 retails ($3595)
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-ati-at2005-5-channel-power-amplifier-2014-02-20-amplifiers-90640
    http://www.ati-amp.com/AT2000.php

I do not have personal experience with this particular amp, but my 120wpc ATI AT1202 drives my RTI12's very well, with no harshness at all in my setup. I would assume the above would be so much better. The 2000 or 3000 series ATI or Outlaw counterpart is on my upgrade list.

the outlaw 7500 looks like a good deal. similar to the xpa5 in terms of power but a little bit expensive. hhhhhmmmmm.$1,599.00 doesn't include shipping yet i presume.