All right who is still hitting the gym or other exercise around here??

Options
2»

Comments

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hey guys remember not to pay too much attention to what the scale reads. It's not the weight that counts it's "body composition". If you weigh 200 pounds and you've got 40% body fat that's a whole different story than if you weighed 200 pounds with 10% body fat. You need to measure yourself with skin-fold calipers and use a formula to calculate how much lean weight and fat weight you're carrying.

Also remember that if you "go" on a diet, it implies that you will get "off" the diet at some point. Think of it as a "lifestyle" change that will carry you into a healthy future.

Oh sure, some people smoke, eat like crap and don't take care of themselves and still live to 95 without any major health issues...these are the exceptions (like anything else) and not the norm. There are those that live to a ripe old age yet are in and out of hospitals and have a really poor quality of life.

I choose to stack the deck in my favor and do things right so I never have to see the inside of a hospital or fall sick. And I am proud to say that I haven't been sick once in the last 5 years. You only have one body in your lifetime, take care of it and it will take care of you.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited February 2014
    Options
    When I graduated from college in 1968, I weighed 265# and smoked three packs of Lucky Strikes per day (smoked a pipe in between cigarettes). One day in August, after 10 hours of swinging a 16# sledge hammer in a limestone quarry (summer job for college expenses), I said, "I've got to quit smoking." Haven't touched it since.

Six months later I looked in the mirror one morning and said, "I don't like that [fat] look." Decided to go on a diet immediately. Fifteen weeks later I was down to 195# (I'm 6'2"). I did it with diet -- well balanced 1200 calories per day -- and religious performance of the Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise Program.

Three or so years later, after moving to Princeton, NJ, I began running outdoors. I got hooked to the point that I was running 50-60 miles per week, week in and week out. Kept that up for a few years, till I left academia and got into business. I no longer had that kind of time; so, the running went down to 20-25 miles per week. All this period of running I did some stretching, but had dropped the calisthenics that had been part of the Royal Canadian Air Force regimen.

Lack of proper balance in my routine -- i.e., too much running -- caught up with me, and in 1993 I had serious back pain. A physiatrist in Menlo Park, CA, gave me a choice: Go under the knife with no promise that surgery would solve the problem causing the pain or do a prescribed exercise regimen for the rest of my life that would likely control, not eliminate the cause of the pain. Kept running five or six days per week, but at a sensible level of about 20 miles per week.

This routine was interrupted in 2005 (or so) when kickback from a log I was feeding into a chipper hit my thigh and hyper-extended my right knee. I ignored the pain till my knee finally collapsed on a four-miles run. Back to the physiatrist and physical therapist.

I can't run anymore; the knee just won't support it. However, I now do 30 minutes, five days per week on a Cybex Arc Trainer at a pretty intense level for an old curmudgeon like myself -- burn 500+ calories in the 30 minutes. In addition, I do two sets of stretches for 16-18 minutes; one after the aerobic workout on the Arc Trainer and the second after an 18-minutes exercise routine called "Back School" by the physiatrist from Menlo Park or a 24-minutes weight-training routine to keep core muscles around the spine in shape (this was also part of the Menlo Park doctor's prescribed regimen). These latter two routines I do three times per week each, sometimes doing both in one day.

My diet? Well, for over 35 years, after losing the excess in the late 1960s, I watched it very carefully, but had few problems because I was running so much. Since starting the Arc Trainer routine, however, I've begun to pick up some pounds. I need to go back on the 1200-calories-per-day diet for a few weeks!

My problem: I love nuts and cheese. The former aren't bad in moderation, but the latter is a killer -- starting to see the cholesterol climb!

The benefit of all this exercise is that it gives me 1.5-2.0 hours in my exercise area three to six days per week during which I listen to good sound through the system described in my signature! :-)

All right, I know this is more than anybody wanted to hear, but you asked!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Good stuff, Moose!

Personally, I'd say if you're over 50 you should NOT be running over 3 miles a day if that unless you REALLY want to take out your back and your knees! And even 3 miles may be too much. Look at W. Bush, that is! He was running like a fiend for years until his body began to say NO MAS. He then switched to biking. A SMART move on his part as we was moving up in years!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited February 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Good stuff, Moose!

Personally, I'd say if you're over 50 you should NOT be running over 3 miles a day if that unless you REALLY want to take out your back and your knees! And even 3 miles may be too much. Look at W. Bush, that is! He was running like a fiend for years until his body began to say NO MAS. He then switched to biking. A SMART move on his part as we was moving up in years!

cnh

You are absolutely right! And, even when you are younger, you need to stretch properly and do exercises to maintain muscle tone in the right spots (especially around the spine and in the leg muscles that are not really exercised in running). Finally, good shoes are important!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've worked out for years. I've always had problems putting on weight. I only weighed 145 pounds in high school. The biggest I was able to get was 188 pounds and I'm 6 feet tall. I was trying to put on weight the healthy way and not by eating a chocolate cake per day. I smoked for eight years in high school and college, but quit in '98. Started eating healthy and feel much better. Then a couple years ago I was helping someone lift a cast iron tub and when I tried to pick it up it felt like someone had pulled back a rubber band and then let it go in my left shoulder and arm. I had been having some issues with that shoulder for awhile but I ended up tearing my rotator cuff. It was so bad I couldn't pick up the soy milk off of the refrigerator shelf or help support a gun at the range. I went about three months without lifting and the shoulder felt much better. I still haven't had surgery on it yet, because I know I'll be useless for six weeks. I went back to lifting, but I had to lay off the shoulder exercises and anything for the upper body has to be low weight. Even curls put stress on that shoulder. So instead of 3 sets of 15 reps, I do lower weight of 30 reps just to stay toned. It didn't take long to drop muscle mass. I work out with weights three day and use an exercise bike three days per week. I'm not trying to lose weight with the exercise bike, but just maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. I had such low body fat that people started telling me I looked unhealthy, so now I don't shy away from cookies after dinner. I drink protein shakes, soy milk and loads of peanuts for the protein and extra calories, but now 175 pounds is the absolute highest I can get my weight up to. I'm lean and fast like a puma with a bum shoulder! I'm damaged goods.

I gotta say, I give mad props to anyone that exercises and sticks with it. I know people that LOVE working out, but I am NOT one of them. I hate it, but I want to stay healthy and I don't want to look like a 145 pound stick.