All right who is still hitting the gym or other exercise around here??

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
edited February 2014 in The Clubhouse
I'm still hitting it hard and lovin it, can't wait for some nice days to hit the trails on the bike, it has beena few years since I have done that...

Come on guys share your routine, and diet...
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited February 2014
    Options
    My diet pretty much sucks....Beer, more beer, and a few potato chips. :razz:

I absolutely work my a$$ off at the gym though. No weights at all (my goal is to control my bloodsugar and not lose any appendages, or lose my eyesight, or kidneys, etc.), but I do 10 minutes on the stair stepper to warm up (at a very intense level). I then ride the stationary bike for 35 minutes at an even more intense level (i.e. I will burn 750 calories in 35 minutes on the bike). Then I do another 10 minutes on the stair stepper to "cool down".

I then go in the sauna for 30 to 40 minutes.

Repeat for 5 days a week.

DONE.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hey Larry I get a discount at work to a couple of gyms but rarely go in the winter months because they are jamed packed, rather just do weights in the basement on a traditional bench. As far as biking I do some road but mostly off road mountain biking, I have a cousin that owns a bike shop in Boulder, if you ever get out that way I could give you his number. I think biking and swimming and lifting plus walking dogs or putting miles on hunting is the best way to stay fit.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • woodhead 2
    woodhead 2 Posts: 367
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Been at it 20 years.
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor 30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I weight train 4-5hrs a week going 6 years now. My best gains or progress have been in the last 3 years, since I started a strict diet with HIGH protein and LOTS of whole grains such as oats and brown rice.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've been at it for 6 years now with the lifestyle change. I do weights, cardio, bike, jog, yoga and now swimming. I NEVER eat junk food or drink soda. Mostly vegetarian. Alcohol consumption is very limited. Heck I even quit my job after 25 years for the sole purpose of having less stress and a better quality of life....I now do the same type of work but very different conditions. I am in the best shape of my life at 56.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2014
    Options
    That's awesome Joe! I do think discipline is the key.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Well, for me after hitting an embarrassing 227 pounds a little over a month ago (i'm only 5-9") I have put myself on a diet and exercise routine. I challenged myself to go to the gym for an hour per day for 100 straight days. This morning was day 28 and I just finished up a 5 mile run. So far i've lost just over 15 pounds! I've cut out all the mountain dew I used to drink and haven't had any fast food for the entire month. I'm already feeling a lot better. My overall goal (not in 100 days) is to drop 50 pounds. When I started going to the gym my goal was to drop 10 pounds by the time I left for Mexico.... I leave in an hour, so it's safe to say I shattered that goal. Now, the true challenge is to make it to the gym down there every day all week and fight off the all-inclusive buffet style of insanity.
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2014
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »
    I've been at it for 6 years now with the lifestyle change. I do weights, cardio, bike, jog, yoga and now swimming. I NEVER eat junk food or drink soda. Mostly vegetarian. Alcohol consumption is very limited. Heck I even quit my job after 25 years for the sole purpose of having less stress and a better quality of life....I now do the same type of work but very different conditions. I am in the best shape of my life at 56.

That's awesome Joe!!!
    grimmace19 wrote: »
    Well, for me after hitting an embarrassing 227 pounds a little over a month ago (i'm only 5-9") I have put myself on a diet and exercise routine. I challenged myself to go to the gym for an hour per day for 100 straight days. This morning was day 28 and I just finished up a 5 mile run. So far i've lost just over 15 pounds! I've cut out all the mountain dew I used to drink and haven't had any fast food for the entire month. I'm already feeling a lot better. My overall goal (not in 100 days) is to drop 50 pounds. When I started going to the gym my goal was to drop 10 pounds by the time I left for Mexico.... I leave in an hour, so it's safe to say I shattered that goal. Now, the true challenge is to make it to the gym down there every day all week and fight off the all-inclusive buffet style of insanity.

Wow sounds like you put on a little weight since the last time I saw you, congrats on the 15lbs, and good luck with the rest of your goal..

My goal was to lose 15lbs, but with weight training it's hard to know how many lbs of fat I have lost, as muscle weighs more then fat, and I have been idle at 200lbs. The scale shows I have only lost 5-8lbs depending when I weigh my self in the last 5 months but I have shed off almost all of my belly fat, I am looking the best I have looked in the last three years..

I don't eat any fast food, or soda pop, I'm on a high protein diet, eating only organic egg whites and oats in the morning, and I eat a lot of good salmon most of the week, non fat yogurt, and I drink two protein drinks a day, I also supplement BCAA's and Glutamine..

I also only eat fresh vegetables, I don't think I could ever eat canned vegetables again, I'm very picky about what I eat. I still treat myself to a couple pieces of chocolate or a couple of cookies once a week..

I also only eat whole wheat noodles or brown rice, I also have one slice of whole wheat bread with dinner everyday..

Once you get used to eating better it's easy to keep up with it, as you can feel how much better you feel everyday..

I should also add that I do treat my self to Starbucks once a week on the weekends, I love me a salted Carmel Mocha. :-)
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2014
    Options
    ^^ Your diet sounds incredibly similar to mine. I am about the same weight too. I am 5' 10" at 198lbs currently 11%bf, was up to about 206 during the holiday's. I am currently in a cutting cycle, I'm going to shed another 8lbs or 3% bf before I start another bulk. I like to eat my (1 cup) oats with casein right before bed. Its not the best method to shed weight but it helps me from becoming catabolic while sleeping and allows me to keep strength while cutting. +1 to the starbucks splurges its important to do that, to maintain a high metabolism while losing weight.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I would say I need to lose about 30 lbs at this point. Not that I look fat, I don't, no overhanging bear gut or anything like that but my pants are tight. lol

Starting this week, most to ALL sugar will leave the diet. More fruits and veggies, more grains, and a lot more protein, in the form of very lean chicken, fish, pork, etc. So lower fat, not too many carbs but some, and a lot of fresh stuff.

Plan to combine this with 4 days of aerobic, and two days of free weights. Hoping for 5-6 lbs of loss per month so that I should be fine by summer! Fingers crossed boys because I'm no 25 or even 45 any more! And I may have to nurse some injuries.

Another goal is to get this dang left calf muscle back the the size of the other. It's been over 18 months since the surgery to sew the torn Achilles back together and I still don't have full size or strength there! Part of that is lapsing into coach potato status over the last number of months, which also did not help the weight, if you know what I mean.

This CONSTANT need to MOVE is very troublesome as you start to get a little older. The body is not as flexible and resists "moving" if it can sit instead. lol

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    This CONSTANT need to MOVE is very troublesome as you start to get a little older. The body is not as flexible and resists "moving" if it can sit instead. lol

cnh
    I saw this on Shark Tank last night, I'll be honest I found this to be a very interesting program, at least.
    http://ddpyoga.com/
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2014
    Options
    HooRaaH. Doing TM this year and a few local events for some HMs and a FullM. Doing the Spartan next year.

With busy family schedule, 4 little gremlins but I love them dearly, don't really have time to hit the gym full time. Whenever I can, I eat Metal for lunch. I hit for half an hour FAST at 24hrGym. I do burpees and some Crossfit at home or in the office. Squats with kids on my shoulder, do what Dad do best. Other than that, love RUNNinG!!!

Lost 30lbs by cutting 50% off diet, eat 6" instead of a footlong sandwich. Eat small portion every 2-3hr off good food that make sense! Gluten free/ organic, u know the drill. Ditched the coffee! Tea lover here! Hate carbonated drinks except for the BrownMilk(da BEER).

The only easy day was yesterday, 1 evolution at a time.....No Finish Line!!!
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I listened to Chuck and bought a Total Gym several years back. I'm a little overweight, 6' 202 pounds this winter. Diet wise, I don't hit the beef stands as often as I use to due to hereditary high cholesterol. Non smoker. Wife makes normal foods, I watch how much I consume, not so much red meat anymore. For over 60 I'm in pretty good shape. My pops couldn't bend over to tie his shoes at 60.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Over 60 ??

What...you and Jesse take a break from building Pyramids ?

Any of you older guys fantasizing about your glory days and think just hitting the gym will do it, think again. That's a sure fire way to get a heart attack. Always check with the doc first to see how hard you should be pushing yourself. Many of us old timers have clogged arteries or some other issues we are unaware of. Just hitting the gym can spell disaster if you don't do so with caution.

Me....I exercise around the yard, but winter takes it's toll. I eat good some days, not so much others, but I try to balance it out anyway. I also try and listen to my body....I know....sounds stupid but we all know our own body better than anyone. Unfortunately my body isn't on speaking terms with me right now, I've been sitting on my **** all winter and it isn't too pleased with me at the moment. Can't wait for my body to start talking in spring when I'm gasping for breath doing yard work or working on the pond. " See...told ya MF'er, sit on the couch all winter and this is what happens". My body doesn't understand Football season....doesn't get Game of Thrones either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I aim for 4 days totaling at least 6+ hours of some kind of cardio every week. Mostly it's riding one of my bikes, but I try to work in some strength training too.

Yesterday it was 10 miles of single track mtn biking, and tomorrow I'm planning on riding a 40ish mile road ride (as long as I don't get a gout flare up like last Sunday).
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    I aim for 6+ hours of some kind of cardio every week.

In my day bro....we called that "sex". Apparently your generation calls it Mountain biking. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited February 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    In my day bro....we called that "sex". Apparently your generation calls it Mountain biking. lol
    Rubbing one off while viewing the bra and panty ads doesn't count as sex!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Over 60 ??

What...you and Jesse take a break from building Pyramids ?

I'm set to get turned to ashes and spread so as to get in folks eyes, not entombed under a chunk of rock.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Rivrrat
    edited February 2014
    Options

I'm 55 and I've been married for 25 yrs.....I call it a substitute for sex. In fact now I understand why my wife worked hard at convincing me to get back into cycling.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Rubbing one off while viewing the bra and panty ads doesn't count as sex!

Wanna bet ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Tony, I don't have time for a witty retort. The newspaper just arrived and I'm looking for the Victoria's Secret sale.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I would go to the gym, but they don't sell cigarettes there.
  • squeeb
    squeeb Posts: 426
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Used to go road biking everyday from work for an 1 to 1 1/2. My average heart rate would usually be around 180 - average. I could eat whatever I wanted. I did a modified Adkins diet before the Spring to keep the weight down. Then continue that diet when I started riding. Then when I introduced carbs - 60-70% of total diet - it felt like someone lit a rocket on my back. My best year I got down to 155 (I'm 5'11") and I could climb like never before.

Lose weight = more cardio.
    7.3 HT: Sunfire TGR-3, Sunfire Series II, Mirage OMD-28, OMD-5 (x4), REL T1 (2), T2, Oppo 103D, Optoma HD8200PRO, 106" screen, SB Touch
    Family Room: Yamaha RX-V2700, RT25i, 42" Samsung, SB Duet
    Pool: Yamaha V2700, SQ Duet, Atrium 60 (2), Atrium 45 (3), Atrium 65sdi
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I do 2 miles on treadmill everyday, plus 30 mins of pushups situps deep knee bends front and side leg lifts with weights 5 days a week. Eat only vegs and frults and nuts and a cookie or two during the week. I have a little meat potato and ice cream and cookies on the weekends but no tobacco or alcohol ever. Did enough of that when I was younger.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Run (4 miles) or bike (12-15 miles) usually 5 times a week plus a light workout. I'm in my best shape since high school and am going on 3+ years with this routine. As my wife would say "It's a lifestyle". My gym, 2 channel set-up and HT are the same room = my basement so I workout my audio equipment on a daily basis too. For diet, I limit my caffeine, drink plenty of water and eat healthy (meat containing) meals in moderate proportion. I do enjoy numerous 12 ounce containers on the weekend though.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Chest, and Cardio day!!! Sitting outside waiting for the GYM to open!!!

Good morning gents!!!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Legs day at the gym for me. I've been waiting for late afternoon on Sundays when the gym is nearly empty. I hate waiting for equipment!
    No excuses!
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2014
    Options
    ^^Nice, I'm not doing anything today. Yesterday was legs and lower back, and finished up with 5 sets of 1, heavy dead lift. Today I'm in pain, but its all good.
  • Rivrrat
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Dang man....

I have a flat tire on the road bike, so I guess it's a trip to the trails today for a mountain bike ride, and then a trip to the bike shop for a new tube.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Sundays are a heavy lifting day. I lift what I can to maximum weight. Admittedly, it's not what I could lift at my peak, but not bad for an "older ****"? According to Tony I should've had a heart attack years ago, but somehow I still put these suckers up, albeit that I take very healthy RESTS between sets. lol Or what I call the REST/LIFT/REST ratio. 5-10 times the rest time vs. lift time. lol

I leave the aerobic stuff for the aerobic days, and am taking that slowly because I'm in pretty ****ty aerobic shape even though my lifts are fine? That's an odd fact, you can lift to your max but can't run a mile at this point. I guess that REST formula is working!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]