Auralic Vega DAC

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
edited February 2014 in Going Digital
In December, I added a new 20 amp circuit solely for the amps. This upgrade removed an unknown haze from the sound. This is one of those things you are not aware of until it is gone. While the new circuit allowed the sound to improve, it exposed another issue. At high volume levels with some Rock CDs there is an annoying high frequency haze on top of the music, and it was at just the right frequency to irritate the slight tinnitus I have in my left ear. After thinking about this I decided it is probably some type of a digital artifact being exposed. While I was aware of five figure DACs that have filters for these different artifacts, my Bryston BDA-2 did not. However, other than that, the Bryston is a great DAC.

Anyway, at the same time I am dealing with this issue, the absolute sound reviewed the Auralic Vega DAC, and it appeared to have everything I needed; excellent sound, both PCM and DSD playback, digital filters, and a reasonable price, at least compared to the five figure DACs. So, I ordered one a month ago, and am now very happy. It sounds superb, is well built, looks great, and, best of all, it handles the digital artifact so that now my tinnitus is happy at high volume levels.

This is the review that pointed me to this fantastic product.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/auralic-vega-digital-audio-processor-1/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-213
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Post edited by BlueFox on

Comments

• danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Congrats.....That's a Great Dac!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • danz1906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    How would you characterize the sound? I have a Benchmark Dac1 HDR, but I'm looking to upgrade.
    I will most likely get the Benchmark Dac2 HGC, I like the Dynamic sound of the Benchmarks. There's
    also a good review on Both the Auralic Vega and The Benckmark HGC in the February Stereophile.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/auralic-vega-da-processor
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
  • BlueFox
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm not very good with adjectives trying to characterize the sound. I can say it is more pleasing than the BDA-2, and that was very nice. Smoother is a good adjective. The soundstage is also better defined, and deeper. Instruments and voices are easy to place in space, and do not mingle together.

I started with a Benchmark DAC 1, and then a DAC 1 Pre, and they were alike in sound. Later, I got tired of getting up and down to adjust the volume, or change inputs, so I bought a pre with a remote. Then I upgraded to the Bryston BDA-1, and noticed that the Benchmark was sharper, or more sterile, in its sound compared to the Bryston. A couple of years later, I upgraded to the BDA-2, and that was like removing a haze from the sound compared to the BDA-1. Now with the Auralic, on good recordings, it sounds so clear and clean you just start laughing at how good it sounds. I have even applauded the stereo a few times it sounded so good. This is mainly at high volume levels where warts get exposed.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2014
    Options
    It's a great sounding dac, I much prefer it over the Benchmark models, but then I've always found their sound a bit sterile for my taste.
  • danz1906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I'm not very good with adjectives trying to characterize the sound. I can say it is more pleasing than the BDA-2, and that was very nice. Smoother is a good adjective. The soundstage is also better defined, and deeper. Instruments and voices are easy to place in space, and do not mingle together.

I started with a Benchmark DAC 1, and then a DAC 1 Pre, and they were alike in sound. Later, I got tired of getting up and down to adjust the volume, or change inputs, so I bought a pre with a remote. Then I upgraded to the Bryston BDA-1, and noticed that the Benchmark was sharper, or more sterile, in its sound compared to the Bryston. A couple of years later, I upgraded to the BDA-2, and that was like removing a haze from the sound compared to the BDA-1. Now with the Auralic, on good recordings, it sounds so clear and clean you just start laughing at how good it sounds. I have even applauded the stereo a few times it sounded so good. This is mainly at high volume levels where warts get exposed.

Have you tried DSD with the Auralic Vega?
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
  • danz1906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    It's a great sounding dac, I much prefer it over the Benchmark models, but then I've always found their sound a bit sterile for my taste.

Agreed the Benchmarks do have a certain Bite too them.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
  • BlueFox
    edited February 2014
    Options
    No. At this point the Bryston BDP-1 file player doesn't support DSD playback. They are working on a firmware update for that. Then again, this gives me the opportunity to upgrade to another music server that does. The Vega even came with a USB cable, which is needed for DSD. That was nice touch.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • danz1906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Danny, where did you hear the Auralic? How do you think it compares to the Oppo?

The Oppo 105?
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Danny, where did you hear the Auralic? How do you think it compares to the Oppo? I'm using a W4S DAC2 in my rig right now and its definitely a step up over the Essence DAC in most categories, but it also is a little sterile for my tastes.

I found the same to my ear with W4S gear. Detail out the wazoo but a tad sterile sounding, even somewhat flat dare I say. I thought you were Brock Twerking to that Essence Dac....wtf happened ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I found the same to my ear with W4S gear. Detail out the wazoo but a tad sterile sounding, even somewhat flat dare I say. I thought you were Brock Twerking to that Essence Dac....wtf happened ?

I left him the DAC so he could do some comparisons, and to see if his consensus was the same as mine....and now you just put the icing on the cake.

I ran it as a pre, and a tube pre and came up with the same results.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ahh...gotcha gents. Always nice to do comparisons in your room with your gear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • danz1906
    edited February 2014
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ahh...gotcha gents. Always nice to do comparisons in your room with your gear.

Tony B..........What Dac are you using?
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
  • BlueFox
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I just discovered a nice little feature. I was using the coax input from the CD player to audition some CDs to determine if they are worthy of being ripped to the music server. When I finished I hit play on the music server, and selected AES on the DAC. The DAC detected there was a signal present on that input, so it automatically muted the volume, and then ramped it up to its previous setting for that input. That was nice since it prevents those awkward moments where the stereo goes from zero volume to ear shattering volumes when changing inputs.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    danz1906 wrote: »
    Tony B..........What Dac are you using?

None at the moment, I'm dac-less. Hunting for a Cary Exciter for a good price. Which to me is 5-6 bones.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2014
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    No I didn't, he supposedly sold it. Had one local to me I missed for 500 on craigslist, I assume it sold since he removed the ad. There's a MF M1 dac for 400 if anyone is interested.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    You've got a serious high-end rig there dude. Nice.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BlueFox
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If you are talking to me then thank you. It resulted from my getting back into audio via HT approximately 10 years ago, and then later paying attention to this site after I bought my LSi 15s. The last few years I sort of went overboard with everything; power, cables, gear, but it is all for the good. In fact, I have to give credit to all those here who have been staunch defenders of cables, since I feel the cable and power upgrades have been the ones that give me the most pleasure. Mainly because the improvements have been so great while being so unexpected.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2014
    Options
    In fact, I have to give credit to all those here who have been staunch defenders of cables, since I feel the cable and power upgrades have been the ones that give me the most pleasure. Mainly because the improvements have been so great while being so unexpected.

You sure have put together one heck of a system man. Myself being one of those staunch defenders of cables, you really have to play around with some, Kiss a few toads to find your prince sort of thing. I've also said the more revealing your system becomes, those slight cable changes become more easily heard and more profound. Nothing new in that statement, many here would agree from their own experiences.

That said, you happy now ? Or is that upgrade bug still knawing at your arse ? LOL In any event, congrats man, If I ever get out your way I'm dialing you up for a listen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If you are talking to me then thank you.

Yep. I've watched your system "morph" and you've made some excellent choices on components.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2