Sound Cards

Options
mcrean
mcrean Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in Going Digital
Hello All

I'm looking to play high definition audio such as up to 192/24 - 9216 kbps via my PC. For the time being I'll output this to a run of
the mill receiver/amp. Ultimately I want to output this audio to a good pre.

Can someone recommend some good PC audio cards that would perform well for this purpose?

I'm thinking Windows 8 but would not have a problem cobbling together a Ubuntu Linux box for the task.

Thanks,

Marty
Post edited by mcrean on

Comments

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I would recommend a usb Dac instead of a card. Usb is universal and will be the latest in development. There are several card types and if you change computers if may not fit. No issue with usb.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I too would recommend a asynchronous USB DAC, but if you must have a sound card, the Asus Xonar series cards sound good.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Marty

A good dac uses a windows driver and a usb connection to basically become a sound card for your pc, you can switch between your soundcard and the dac simply by right clicking on the volume control icon and clicking on playback devices and then just changed to the one for your dac, and when you want to go back to your soundcard just changed it back the same way..just choose your sound card. for my setup i just choose speakers/realtek or speakers/peachtree (dac).

It really does work very easy and I dont have speakers hooked to my souncard just headphones, the speakers are always hooked to my integrated amps/dac :) makes it pretty cool for playing games also!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mcrean
    mcrean Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hi Guys - just so I understand (not being familiar with DACs), I can output the DAC to my current AVR or later to a Pre???

What do you guys think of this product:

http://www.wooaudio.com/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2014
    Options
    mcrean wrote: »
    Hi Guys - just so I understand (not being familiar with DACs), I can output the DAC to my current AVR or later to a Pre???

What do you guys think of this product:

http://www.wooaudio.com/

Now you're thinking, seems to get really good reviews.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Can't he go S/PDIF (either optical or coaxial) from a "decent" sound card to a pre/pro or AVR for MUCH less $$? I understand the convenience of USB, and a good async one would work, but wouldn't the S/PDIF option be a better "bang for the buck"?
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Unless he is looking for a good headphone amp...I kinda like the Woo idea
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2014
    Options
    StantonZ wrote: »
    Can't he go S/PDIF (either optical or coaxial) from a "decent" sound card to a pre/pro or AVR for MUCH less $$? I understand the convenience of USB, and a good async one would work, but wouldn't the S/PDIF option be a better "bang for the buck"?
    You wouldn't need a sound card and just use the optical from the mobo in this case. But, the DAC section of most AVR's is nothing special.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2014
    Options
    The woo would be a very good head phone amp also, I noticed it has just 1 set of RCA jacks, it says they work as input and output I think by flicking a switch? and this would let him hook it up to a pre or AVR.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD