Looking for inductance value of DXI350 or DB350/351

jtorre4272
jtorre4272 Posts: 9
edited February 2014 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everyone.

I am building my own bandpass network for this 3.5" speaker with the tweeter removed (to be part of a 3 way component system). It will be a 2nd order with a Zobel network.

I need the inductance of the speaker in order to calculate the appropriate capacitor value for the Zobel.

Polk does not provide this information in their specifications.

Does anyone have this info?
Post edited by jtorre4272 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2014
    Hello,
    I'll forward your question to someone at Polk for you.
    Regards, Ken
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2014
    Hello,
    Polk does not have the inductance specification of the driver available, the driver has a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. The DC resistance is between 3 and 3.5 ohms.
    If you want you can send one of the drivers to me and I can measure the inductance for you, at no charge.
    Regards, ken
  • jtorre4272
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Ken. I don't know why Polk is so secretive about trivial things like inductance on a discontinued DXI350 speaker.

I do have the driver impedance info already, but thanks. If I get the time, I will consider your offer.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2014
    I don't think they're being secretive, it's just they probably don't know because they don't manufacturer them themselves. They're built by a vendor for them to their design specifications. All specifications are probably not available especially since it's a discontinued model and you may very well be the first person in history that wanted to know the inductance of an entry level 3" coaxial so there really isn't a big reason for them to keep the T/S parameters of all their speakers on file. Subs yeah, but not $50 discontinued entry level drivers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jtorre4272
    edited February 2014
    Well, Macleod, if you know how I can get some polk higher end drivers in a 3.5 in size to fit my porsche 3-way component door arrangement, I'm all ears. But as far as I can tell, if I want to stick with polk, this is what I am stuck with. I just finished my install, by the way. I did a band pass. 600hz first order hpf and 5 kHz 2nd order lpf. All Erse components for the crossover. I also installed an L-pad with 25w resistors to cut the power to a -3db attenuation. Speakers were a tad bit overpowering otherwise.
    The result is a very well integrated driver added to an existing mm5251 component setup. I now have a mildly brighter sound array that gives me the vocal clarity I thought the mm series was missing. I'm very happy with the setup. And, well, so is everyone who hears the result of my install.

My arrangement is powered by a JL Audio HD900/5 and pioneer deh80prs head unit.