RT800i VS RTi70

ziplin
ziplin Posts: 36
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Went to Circuit City to check out the new RTi70 and the salesman told me the only difference in the new speaker was the wood on the front panel, the new grill, and the tweeter. he said the crossover is the same as the RT800i as pretty much every thing else. is this the truth? or is there more improvements over the RT800i than this guy knows about?
thanks ziplin.:)
Post edited by ziplin on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    The most significant difference is supposed to be the new tweeter. The salesman pointed out a few other obvious differences. According to Polk there are a few more subtle changes: The new tweeter requires a slightly different crossover point, mylar bypass capacitors are used in the HPF network, the frequency response is a hair wider, and I believe I read somewhere that the sensitivity spec dropped by 1 db.

None of that is really too important. It's the sound that matters, and I haven't had an opportunity to hear them yet so I can't comment.

Jason
  • ziplin
    edited March 2002
    Thanks Jason, for the tech info, I did get a small demo and they sounded smooth and detailed. although the room at CC was not properly set up to do a constructive demo. lived with my RT800i for less than a month and still find them pretty fantastic.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    I'm sure the improvements to the RTi line are worthwhile, but I wouldn't even think about upgrading my 800i's to the 70i's unless it didn't cost anything. I haven't found anything to complain about, especially at the price point.
  • ziplin
    edited March 2002
    Did a listening session (two channel stereo) and did not find anything that would warrent turning my RT800i in for the Rti70s
    and it would cost a few hundred more that what I recently paid for the Rt800i. The Rt800i plus 400i Center do a fantastic job of movies, music (dvd audio, DTS surround). if it aint broke, don't fix it!:D