Workout Headphones?

hochpt21
hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
edited February 2014 in Headphones
I hate when people make resolutions, but guess what...I'm getting my **** back in the gym.

Should I just go with the Ultrafit 3000's?

I will be using them with MOG from my galaxy phone, so I don't know if it's a big deal to get the 3000a...I don't think I really need voice controls.

Are the 3000's significantly better soundwise than the 1000's or 500's?

Any other brands perform better?

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
Post edited by hochpt21 on

Comments

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited December 2013
    I opted for the 3000a's when I bought mine, but I got them during the friends/family sale. When I was on the search I came across some very well reviewed M*nster that we're on closeout, I assume because they we're the 'Livestrong' version. Go Lance? :smile:

Here's a tip that helped me, I wouldn't let myself order any until I had worked out for at least two weeks, sort of a carrott on a stick to me. It worked as motivation for me, good luck!
  • hochpt21
    edited December 2013
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    I opted for the 3000a's when I bought mine, but I got them during the friends/family sale. When I was on the search I came across some very well reviewed M*nster that we're on closeout, I assume because they we're the 'Livestrong' version. Go Lance? :smile:

Here's a tip that helped me, I wouldn't let myself order any until I had worked out for at least two weeks, sort of a carrott on a stick to me. It worked as motivation for me, good luck!

Yea, I almost pulled the trigger on those during the sale just for kicks, but didn't. Amazon has the 3000's in orange for $60 instead of $80 for the other colors, and I can probably live with that.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • codyc1ark
    edited December 2013
    60 is a good price, one thing you'll find with the 3000's is that you will need to cycle through about half of the earbud inserts to find the best for you. I like the memory foam for riding my bike and the larger rubber ones for running.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2013
    I'm not familiar with the Polk headphones, personally! I use some cheap Sonys MDR-W8s for such purposes and only because they don't FALL OUT of my ears or allow sweat to collect in them.

For me, those are the only criteria with sound being secondary. Really, isn't sound just background sound in "any" workout?

And I never wear them when lifting weights, don't need to.

As for losing weight. Almost 4 weeks of some activity almost 7 days a week and only 1 pound a week, at BEST! Such is AGE and the inability to withstand the jarring of jogging on my vertebra any more! That and being in terrible shape PREVENT one from really firing up the calorie burning aerobic machine. In other words, you can't burn more than 300-400 a day until you DO get in shape. So 400 x 7 = 2800 or not quite a pound a week. Can you spell D-E-P-R-E-S-S-I-N-G?

The evolutionary advantages of "fat" are a "Bitxx"! That BODY doesn't yet understand most of us don't live with the threat of famine in this society.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • codyc1ark
    edited December 2013
    Lol cnh I hear ya! It took roughly seven weeks for myself to notice any difference, it crept up on me but it was a good change. If impact is bothering you, hop on that bike and bust out nine miles! Winter has hit me hard with work, and time change, aaaaand holiday eating! I need to get back out because this 'break' I've been on is catching up to me!
  • hochpt21
    edited December 2013
    I did pretty good earlier this fall and myfitnesspal was a big part of it. Really thinking about what I was eating sprinkled in with exercise when I could landed me pretty good results.

It's just so tough for me(and I'm sure everyone else to find the time) to not only exercise, but track what I was eating.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2013
    Paul, had a set of 3000s (till the dog ate em)

Only IEM I will EVER own. GREAT SET OF SPEAKERS!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • badchad
    badchad Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    I looked into these for working out, but really wanted to avoid "over the ear" earbuds.

I'm now interested in some ear buds with "Wing tips" to help keep them in my ears when I run. (I have a pair of klipsch S4is that I love, but they fall out when I run).

Unfortunately, the only brands I've seen with the "wing tip" option are bose (SIE2) and beats (tour). I looked at the Jaybirds, but didn't want to fuss with bluetooth connectivity and charging. Anybody have any suggestions for wing tip earbuds? (sorry to thread jack, just didn't want to start a new one for a simple question).
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2014
    I'm in the same boat as badchad. I like my Klipsch S4's, but they are a pain to keep in place if you're really moving around.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • nwohlford
    nwohlford Posts: 700
    edited January 2014
    I went from the Klipsch S4 to the Polk UltraFit 3000 and found that they have a similar sound, but the Polk were much better for running. Because of the "over the ear" style, they stay in much better and you don't get the rubbing sound you get with the Klipsch when moving a lot.
  • hochpt21
    edited January 2014
    Just ordered a pair of 3000's from Polk's ebay store. Said refurb in package with new tips. $50.

We'll see how they are.
  • gdpeck
    gdpeck Posts: 840
    edited January 2014
    Hey Paul,

I think the 3000s will work out nicely for you. I have used the 1000s for exercise and have since moved on to the Sennheiser MX-685. The 1000s and 500s are the same earphone, except the 500s don't have an inline remote. The main difference between the 3000s and the 1000/500s is isolation. The 1000/500s are designed not to isolate so that you have some situational awareness for running or riding. I think the 3000s will be great for the gym, since you can listen to what you want and block out the music coming from the gym PA. I wrote about this in more detail here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?149868-Polk-UltraFit-1000-v-3000-whats-the-diff-quot&p=1931261&viewfull=1#post1931261. I have never heard the 3000s, but the Sennheiser workout headphones are awesome. I like the sound much better than the Ultrafit 1000s I used to have. Also, the inline remote on the 1000 stopped working when it got sweat in it. I haven't actually found an inline remote that doesn't stop working when it gets sweat in it, so I don't think that is a Polk specific issue. Good luck with the resolution.

George

@badchad Check out the Sennheiser MX-685. They have a locking mechanism that is pretty solid, and they are also on sale right now from Sennheiser direct. I've been using them for running and riding for over a year, and to me they are the ideal combination of sound, ergonomics, and durability.
  • hochpt21
    edited January 2014
    Received the 3000's today. First thought was if they sound as good as the packaging, they will be amazing. In my mind fancy packaging is an unnecessary and wasted expense, but sometimes it makes me feel good. In this case it made me feel good.

Pulled them out and tried all the different earbud options. This was super nice as a couple of the options I tried made my ears hurt after less than a minute. I imagine this makes it worth the cost alone. What is the point of spending $50+ on in ear headphones if the supplied buds may not fit your ear canal?

I've been listening for a while now just from my laptop. My initial reaction is that the SQ is outstanding. Mids and highs sound really, really good. I'm not sure, however, how I feel about the bass and "punch".

I could see this being a problem as workout music for me is mostly "beat" driven. So far with these, I have to turn it up pretty loud to "feel" the beat and at that point the rest of the music hurts my ears.

I could very well be expecting too much as I haven't heard many headphones, especially in-ear models.

Overall, I feel these will be a success based on the VERY comfortable fit and the exceptional SQ in the mids and highs. Maybe I'll adjust to the low end.
  • j1mmy
    j1mmy Posts: 95
    edited February 2014
    Sen. Ie6 great sound