? for ron-p or chris plz.

Options
etrigan
etrigan Posts: 160
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
hi all! lurking long time,1st post-so sorta new to the forum (but NOT to polk !) have owned monitors for the past 20 yrs :D i am slowly bldg a ht setup-recent proud owner of rt800i/cs400i/rt25i (2 pairs,1 for the bedroom) :D:D ? is-i'm thinking of putting my 800's on top of slate/granite but how thick:confused: ron's velo seems to sit on apx.2" - seems kinda high to put the 800's on - what thickness is under your 55i's? any sugg/advice is greatly appreciated! and what's all this talk of socks:confused: thx agn! CHEERS! jefff
Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
Post edited by etrigan on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I'm not Ron or Chris, but I'm still going to comment. I have the RT800's and put slate under them. I noticed a very minimul improvement by doing this. It has been suggested by Chris, I believe, that the reason there was little change is because the RT800's don't go nearly as low as a subwoofer. Meanining, the slate effects deeper bass the most

Aaron
  • etrigan
    edited March 2002
    Options
    aaron,thanx! it wasn't just a ? for them-but all,thx for your reply-did u keep the slate? how thick was/is it? what was the general size/price paid,where did u get? i appreciate it! CHEERS! :D jefff
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The slate I have is 12"x12"x1/2" and cost me under $10 for the two pieces. There are two problems with using slate for a tower speaker: 1) it's almost impossible to find any slate that's perfectly flat and 2) when using slate on carpet, coupled with the fact that it usually isn't flat, speakers tend to lean and become less stable. You can compensate a bit for this by adjusting the feet. You really need a larger piece of that 12" square (at least 13") for the RT800's, but that's the best I could find. The performance might improve if you got something thicker, like 1".

I think an interesting experiment would be to get some nice pieces of perfectly smooth granite and sit the RT800's on top of them with the spikes. I saw a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers set up like this one time and it was impressive looking. Whatever you get, if you get any, try to get a decent-sized piece (at least 13" square) so it's more stable on the carpet.

Aaron
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i got granite samples when i was trying to get a free slab from our stone rep. for my HSU. they are 12"x12"x3/8"+\- thick. they are honed and polished for an absolutey smooth surface. maybe i'll have to try placing these under my 800's now that you mention it (don't know if it will really make a difference, but it's worth a test run anyway). it's not like they are doing anything better, i got three (in different colors) one made it's way to being a very nice cutting board, maybe i can now put the other two to use as well...
  • etrigan
    edited March 2002
    Options
    aaron,thankx again for the helpful info! anyone else's thoughts? CHEERS! jefff
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hey sorry I did not see this sooner. Aaron is right, more important he owns 800s so he gave you the better answer.
    Chris :)