Subwoofer firing into carpet - Remedy?

Options
tortfsr24
tortfsr24 Posts: 79
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Recently, I purchased a house that has carpet in the main den area in which I am going to set up my home theater. (My previous home had hardwood floors).

I have two cerwin-vega powered subs (sub-150). Each of these subs has a 15" downfiring woofer. I am worried about these subs firing directly into the carpet and the sound loss I will probably experience. I was thinking about cutting a square of 3/4 inch plywood for the subwoofer to sit on. However, I have seen other posts concerning slate and other materials. If I were to build the plywood bases I referenced earlier, would I need to attach feet on the bottom of the plywood or just lay the plywood flat onto the carpet?

Thanks for the input.

Brent
Post edited by tortfsr24 on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i am in the same situation, my HSU's are down-firing subs. i am very pleased with their performance, but was curous on the tweaks to tighten up the bass. it seems like slate/granite is your best bet. i am still trying to find some slate myself to try this out. no luck so far, of course, i haven't put alot of time into looking yet either...

ron-p, and a couple others on here use slate under their subs, i'm sure they'll chime in soon...
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The best thing I ever did to tighten up the bass on my subwoofer was to get a pair of MIT Terminator 6 interconnects. I doubt any amount of slate could make this much difference. Unbelievable! I was a cable doubter before I bought a pair of these.

Aaron
  • tortfsr24
    tortfsr24 Posts: 79
    edited March 2002
    Options
    So, does everyone agree that something needs to be done as far as placing something between the subwoofer and the carpeted floor? Alot of subs on the market have a built-in wood base that the downfiring woofer fires into. This is what got my initial thoughts on this process rolling.

Thanks for the input!

Brent
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited March 2002
    Options
    >>So, does everyone agree that something needs to be done as far as placing something between the subwoofer and the carpeted floor?

Here's a novel idea: get yourself a piece of 2' x 4' x ¼" plywood from your favorite home improvement warehouse to try out, and see if it's a tweak worth pursuing.
    Better to spend $3 to find out if it makes an audible difference TO YOU, than to spend more—only to find that you now have some really good-looking, though large, paper weights laying around the house.

Give War A Chance
  • wakbored
    wakbored Posts: 3
    edited March 2002
    Options
    You will not get an appreciably better output (read SPL).by putting the sub on a peice of plywood. 1. It is too light 2. The sonic impovements garnered by slate and other DENSE and HEAVY materials is that they couple the speaker to the floor and transfer resonance (which adds coloration, smear, etc.) to the subfloor which then expends the energy through out the structure. That in turn cleans up imaging and detail. If you want to EXTEND the response of your sub to truly SUB levels find a way to couple the sub to the floor.
    Carpet will have less than a 3db dropin SPL...besides that is why we all calibrate our systems and why powered subs have a volume control, right?

Todd
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Slate dose not couple the sub to the floor. Just the opposite, isolates it, also stops reverberation and tightens up the bass. Giveing you a clearer less muddied sound.
    Sandstone and some others will do the same thing. Tile, man made, and the likes will couple your sub to the floor as well as the plywood. The slate idea was in an artical on tweaking about 2 years ago.

BTW-I have a Velodyne ULD-18, I have always used good cables, slate is the only "tweak" which made a noticeable improvement. You can get a peice from a stone yard etc. Home Depot has man made tile which does not work. You can get a peice of slate from a stone yard for about $10, make sureits about 1" thick.
    Chris :)