RM 3000 - adding powered sub

Options
Ed O
Ed O Posts: 2
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
My brother has an older sub/sat with a passive (non-powered) "subwoofer". He would like to add a powered sub.

What set up options are available?

a. Set mains to large (keeping passive)? and run powered sub out of sub pre-out?

b. set mains to small? (rest as above)

c Remove passive sub and run powered sub using speaker connections with crossover maxed out?

Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks in advance
Post edited by Ed O on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    what sub are you thinking of doing this with?
  • Ed O
    Ed O Posts: 2
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Actually, not sure. Open to suggestions, though. Will certain models pose problems or are some better than others?
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    any of your options would work, on most any powered sub on the market. one option you left out is:

d. remove passive sub and run powered bud from the lfe out.

not saying that is the way to do it, but just another option. sub placement/set-up is very subjective, as well as time consuming to get it just right. you will find that at least one person on this forum has their sub set-up each of the ways suggested. i would recommend playing around with it when you get it and see what sounds best to you.

as for suggestions on subs, the HSU vtf-2 is a great sub for the money. may be more than you need right now with the sats. though. also, if the passive sub isn't 'quality' it may hinder the perfomrance of your new powered sub. i had this problem when i got my first HSU. the POS kenwood sub couldn't cut it and it was gone in a week, and a second HSU was on the way(thanks aaron:) ). just something to keep in mind...

good luck, and welcome to the forum...:D
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    Options
    you can run from the lfe to a amp and to the passive sub with seaker cables, use a older receiver or amp and split it with a y connector from lfe, on the amp you come off pre out (+ & - ) or lfe from receiver or pre amp, to receiver or amp, to your passive sub with speaker cables. if the passive sub haves a hi-pass crossover, it should. if not you can add one before sub.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.