Hooking a Sub to Powered Towers

rwrvpem
rwrvpem Posts: 32
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Can anyone give me their opinion on how to hook up a PSW 650 to a system with powered towers (RT2000i's)?? I just upgraded from RT600i's to the 2000's and want to keep my big sub.
I have a couple ideas but I'm not sure which is best:

1. Go with speaker level connections to the sub and then to the towers.
2. Use line level connections from the receiver to the sub and then to the towers (do I even need to hook the line level connection to the tower), and then use speaker level connections to the towers.
3. Use speaker level connections to the towers and just hook the LFE output to the sub (this would seem to be a waste of a sub).

Anyway, if anyone has any advise/suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Rick
:confused:
Post edited by rwrvpem on

Comments

• OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    Never used powered towers (don't believe in them), but I have used #3 and really enjoy this configuration once you have the blend figured out.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. I have the rt1000's and the psw1200. I run then all through the LFE output. The LFE from your reciever to my main sub and with a Y adapter to the rt1000's.
    Believe it are not with some tweeking you can get the bass you want. Bass management with reciever and varable freq. on main sub. and each also has a seperate volume on their own. Monster makes nice sub. cables and Y adapters.;)
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited March 2002
    HI:

I would suggest running the lfe out from your receiver to your dedicated sub, and speaker level output to your RT2000s and leave jumper in place. This is the way Polk recommends they be connected. I have mine set up this way and I can rock the house. Set the sub on your 2000s to around 12 or 1 oclock position and adjust your dedicated sub accordingly.

Gary
  • xfontanax
    xfontanax Posts: 82
    edited March 2002
    Or you can run your pre-outs on your receiver to the line level in on the 2000s, and run a cable from your line-out on one of the speaker to the sub. Then you can use the variable crossover on the sub. Worth a try. Did I lose you?
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited March 2002
    Hi:

No you didn't lose me. You can use the variable crossover on the dedicated sub with the receiver lfe out also. The way you described is not the way to connect it Fonz. Why not set it up the way Polk recommends? They made the speakers and they should know. Also, I know, you should hear my system.

Respectfully

Gary
  • xfontanax
    xfontanax Posts: 82
    edited March 2002
    yeah, actually, I have my sub hooked up through lfe and my 2000I bi-amp'd. I was just offering an alternative. There are so many ways to hookup these speakers, but I agree, with a sub to the lfe.... errrr.
  • rwrvpem
    rwrvpem Posts: 32
    edited March 2002
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. Based on the different responses, I am going to try a few different hookups and see which I like best. I will try to post the results in a couple of weeks once I give 'em a try.

Rick
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    Whoops, I had intended to say that option #1 was something I was familiar with and enjoyed. Is this to be used in a home theater configuration or as a mains+sub setup?
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    i use two psw-650 polk subs, on my receiver there are 3 lfe out puts i come off two of them to my 650 and use y connectors and split them to the rt-20p towers subs and take the jumpers off i use the rt-20p towers as surounds and that makes two more subs, rt-20p and they are a bout the same as the rt-2000p, they dont make good mains, for mains i use rt-7 on top of the psw-650s with pedestals. the last lfe out put i run to a 15" sub.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.