Is it just me, or does youtube sound good?

obieone
obieone Posts: 5,077
edited December 2013 in Going Digital
I don't know if my hearing has gone south, but it seems like a lot of the music on YT is sounding better than it was a few years ago.
I can't figure out if the people posting music are actually taking the time to post good recordings, or if YT is doing something?
Obviously, there is still plenty of garbage up there, but, almost, if not all of the remastered Beatles albums are posted in their entirety, and they do sound better than the mp3's I've got on HDD.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed?:question:
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
Post edited by obieone on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    edited June 2013
    well - probably not generically... but there are certainly good sounding things there. "Better than mp3" is a pretty low bar, though, y'know? ;-)

Here' a personal fave - sounds good (to me, at any rate) and it's a superb performance (again, to me). YMMV and all that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0VkgSB2vtY
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    edited June 2013
    heh... I just dragged the laptop over to the hifi, hooked it to the 2A3 amp and listened to the video linked to above on the Duplexes. Yes it sounds good. Not quite to-die-for good (the vocal is a little sizzly; probably an artefact of the compression) but the gee-tar is mighty fine. It' in the room. What a superb solo...

Listenin' to "Antigone Rising" :-P on a CeeDee as I type this. Yeah, goofy girl band from Noo Joisey via Starbucks... but it do sound good - top to bottom (yeah, vocals, too).
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    edited July 2013
    It's just you.....:cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited July 2013
    I guess one test would to be upload a high quality title, then use YTD (youtube downloader) and download it again and check the file size to the original.
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited July 2013
    it used to be absolutely terrible. My friend would hook up his laptop to my system to show me music videos and I just told him to stop. I refused to let such garbage be played through my system. The last few years they made huge strides, especially in HD video and I'm assuming they updated the audio quality as well, knowing they would get huge advertising revenues if people used YouTube for audio as much as video. That's just my theory, but I have noticed that it went from unacceptable to passable, to at least as good if not better than the local radio stations, including HD radio but not as good as satellite audio like Sirius, but maybe on par with the low end Pandora. It would be a good test for someone to run for audio quality comparisons.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2013
    I have noticed the newer HDvideo ones sound and look better. My problem the last 2 years with YT seems like my computer has some kind of problem streaming the videos(maybe my connection lacks proper bandwidth) and I end up getting a chopped up song( plays for 10-15 seconds ,then stalls for about the same time and starts playing and stalls etc), and that takes forever to get through it.
  • mccarty250
    mccarty250 Posts: 220
    edited December 2013
    Is your provider comcast? Some providers have taken to throttling/rate limiting traffic to youtube. You may have a network connection that is completely unsaturated but still get unsatisfactory youtube performance as a result.

This is what happens when net neutrality falls apart and ISP's are allowed to decide what information you receive and at what rate.