digital ripping questions

Options
vulcan
vulcan Posts: 86
edited December 2013 in Going Digital
I am a digital newbie, thanks in advance for your help. Ripping my cd collection to FLAC files. Whats the best setting to use,
16/44.1k or 24/96k? I have researched some other posts that said to stay with 16/44.1k since REDBOOK cd are that and
best not to rip upsampling. Also what software do you use to play FLAC on a Windows based PC? Right now just ripping to my PC. But eventually would like to play them on my stereo system.
Seems there are a lot of options and you have to find what works best for you. My computer is in the same room with the stereo and thinking about installing a sound card using the optical out to a dac in the stereo. Appreciate your feedback, thanks!
SDA 1C (wood)- Vr3 crossovers/ Gimpod board's, Larry's rings, RDO194 tweeters, Dynamat. Updated terminal cup and binding posts. Custom IC by Vr3 with Neutrik connectors. SDA 2B(studio)- SonicCraft crossovers(TL mod), RD0-198 tweeters. Hurricane nuts, DynaMat and JB Weld.
Post edited by vulcan on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2013
    Options
    IMPORTANT: make sure you have your setting decisions made, before you begin the "torturous" journey of ripping your library---I speak from experience. What SW are you using to rip with?

Media Monkey is free and will play/organize your flac library.

Have a plan before starting, much like developing a database structure. This will save alot of work and heartache later. I'd recommend EAC (Exact Audio Copy) but there are other alternatives.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Start with a good ripping program. I really like dbpoweramp and their accuraterip system
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'd stick with FLAC. I've had some issues with metadata and WAV files. I rip with dbPowerAmp and it automatically creates the Artist folder and then the Album sub-folder with the FLAC files. When ripping the CD your genre can be set in the metadata (Rock, Pop, Soul etc.). When you want to sort by genre then it reads the metadata in your FLAC file.
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited November 2013
    Options
    +++dBPoweramp
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • vulcan
    vulcan Posts: 86
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Have finished ripping my CD collection and worked out great. I used Easy CD-DA Extractor; found the track titles, album info and album art. Ripped to FLAC first, then converted them to WMA Standard to use on a Playstation 3. Plan on using the FLAC files to run thru my 2 channel audio setup. My only "genre" is Classic Rock. I used 24 bit 44100 Hz for the FLAC and converted to WMA standard 320kbits. Now I need to figure out the best way to play the digital files on my stereo system. The FLAC files sound good on my PC right now though.
    Thanks for your advice.
    SDA 1C (wood)- Vr3 crossovers/ Gimpod board's, Larry's rings, RDO194 tweeters, Dynamat. Updated terminal cup and binding posts. Custom IC by Vr3 with Neutrik connectors. SDA 2B(studio)- SonicCraft crossovers(TL mod), RD0-198 tweeters. Hurricane nuts, DynaMat and JB Weld.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited December 2013
    Options
    This where you will be thinking how can I get my music everywhere in the house! You have completed the first stage of digital audio and you understand that Flac is the top choice for compression and using that forum to create other compressed audio. The second stage is the delivery, you can have your PC playback via headphones or have it close to your stereo running via optical or RCA. Then the music is still tied to one room. Wired/wireless Digital Audio Receivers (DAR's) are the easy way of delivery to any location within the home or even a patio. There are several systems out there and you really need to do your homework to see which one will fit the bill.

Apple Airport/TV
    Sonos
    Logictech Squeezebox

Those above are the most popular in use, but the squeezebox (the one I use) has reached the end of its great run and set the standard for all others to follow. I still standby this product and feel if SlimDevice (original Co) or Logictech would have done a marketing campaige like Bose does, Squeezebox would still be the one to beat. But with cell phones being the number one device for music it would be uphill battle to contend with all the apple Iphone ready AVR's and Dlna compatible units. I hear Sonos had a commerical during yesterday game (Denver & KC) which is what will be needed to get the word out as many more people like yourself are looking to store their vast collections of music on PC/Mac's and want to be able to sit back and enjoy.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I use EAC to rip to flac, and MediaMonkey for tagging/organizing when needed. SQB Touch-->Benchmark DAC. Soon I'll be moving to the Benchmark DAC2 D.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Polk&Beans
    Polk&Beans Posts: 94
    edited December 2013
    Options
    DB PowerAmp, Wave Files, 16/44.1, Error Correction "On"
  • mccarty250
    mccarty250 Posts: 220
    edited December 2013
    Options
    EAC, FLAC (with the highest compression level you can muster), 16/44.1, tagging done with mp3tagger. It's possible that with enough plugins you can do all of this within Foobar2000 i.e. ripping/flac/tagging if you want to make a research project out of it, it would probably be a very elegant solution if you can get it going right.