Speaker Gasket Tape/Air Chuffing?

aboroth00
aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
edited December 2013 in Speakers
While listening to my speakers on a bassy track, I noticed a vibrating sound coming from one of the drivers of my Revel Gem's. I was quite alarmed by it and disassembled the driver seeing if there's anything wrong. Played the same track with the driver removed and no rattling sound so that rules out the driver itself. I re-placed the driver into the cabinet and tightened the screws tightly and again the same problem. I noticed that perhaps air was escaping through the crevices causing the sound or the driver was rattling against the enclosure. I took a closer look on the gasket that is currently there and it looks quite flattened.

Will speaker gasket tape be the solution for both the rattling and air chuffing? If so, where would I get this sort of thing? Would I apply it to the driver or would I apply it to the cabinet?
IMG_20131224_174132.jpg
2Ch Tube Audio Convert
Post edited by aboroth00 on

Comments

• dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited December 2013
    Parts Express.com
  • heartystatue
    heartystatue Posts: 329
    edited December 2013
    I used Armacell. You can get it at Home depot or Lowes. Its in the plumbing dept. Its a 2" psa backed sponge type material. Comes in a roll. About 4 bucks for 20 or so feet. You can also use Mortite. Its like string putty but firmer. Also in the plumbing dept at HD or Lowes. Both have been used alot on this forum. I incorporate both. Armacell for the speaks and mortite for the terminal cup/plate. Good luck!
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3:biggrin: Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
    2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I, Essence HDACC.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited December 2013
    +1 on the Armacell. Easier to use than Moretite (aka rope caulk). Just trim to the width you need with a pair of scissors and apply to the speaker basket. It has an adhesive on one side.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited December 2013
    Should have bought Polk speakers :-)
    Why don't you contact them and ask for factory replacement gasket?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1