Cable Shootout AQ vs. Junk

2»

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2004
    Added the Signal Cable.... I noticed a "clipped peak" at about 3.5k on the Signal Cable, ran the test again, and got the same result. (Also, the Signal Cable didn't get much break-in time at all, only a few minutes.)
    acs.jpg 34.5K
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited July 2004
    PT - I applaud you for taking the time, and going to great lengths to shoot many graphs through those cables. I am a cable believer, obviously, but it really boils down to the listener.

The cable non-believers have to admit that fact also, it's not a subject of argument.

I think that alot of the cable theory gets lost in marketing, and/or propaganda of the brand name. True data doesn't sell cables....period. I am not knocking the experiment, just stating that this is why we don't see YOUR kind of effort. It's packaging....colors....beefy terminations....nice packaging....brick and mortar contracts....all for the end result.....of selling to the cannon fodder.

I was cannon fodder, for a long time. It was a long road for me to find differences in gear, but it still comes down to the listener.

This data is excellent, and grassroots. This is the kind of thread that the forum needs to be reading and simply thinking about.

I have an Outlaw brand IC that you may use, just let me know.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I have an Outlaw brand IC that you may use, just let me know.

Might take you up on that if I get time.

So far the AudioQuest is the most "graphically dynamic" of the three cables. :D

My thought is that the AQ may be a little more precise and not blend the different frequencies together as much as the other cables(of course we are talking on a very small scale here).

I'll spare everyone the more subjective comments such as "the vocals were soulfully melodic, blah blah blah", because the truth is, that I CAN ENJOY listening to music on BOTH cheap cables and expensive cables. :)

I think I stated somewhere above that I thought the AQ sounded better than the cheapie, but I still really need to do some blind testing, which would require a little help from some local polkies, hint hint Hbomb and Burdette.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2004
    This was an excellent topic Toby and you presented it in a Doc Spec like fashion.

My life has been crazy the past few weeks and I could only have wished I could have been a part of this excercise. Perhaps next time Bro!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited July 2004
    YEAH !!!
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".