LS70 Crossover upgraded... now I have some questions

Options
attym
attym Posts: 33
edited December 2013 in Vintage Speakers
I took the plunge and upgraded the caps and resistors on the crossover.

I used Dayton Audio PMPC-6.8 6.8uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitors and Mills 1.5 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistors.

I'm a soldiering novice, but felt comfortable digging into this board since it was wide open.

The speakers sounded good before, I just wanted to tinker and upgrade the original, 20 year old parts.

The installing was fairly quick and easy.

The sound seems more detailed. However, I can't help but notice the highs are far more detailed, louder, almost to the point I have to play with the tone knobs (gasp!)... I can tame the highs by doing that and never had to before and have it in my head I shouldn't have to. I never had this issue before, everything seemed well balanced, now the highs are... HIGH.

My questions are:
If I screwed something up in the installation, would I get any sound? Would I get sound that wasn't right? Would something not installed right give me too much highs? Am I now hearing the speakers the way they were meant to be heard? I also assumed the components (caps and resistors) weren't polarized and didn't bother to check if I put them in backwards or not... I'm guessing it doesn't matter.

Overall, the sound isn't bad, in fact, some records sound great, others that used to sound great have a lot more pronounced highs... I'm not in love with the sound yet, but I'm not convinced its bad if that makes sense... its just very different. I was sort of hoping for instant wow factor.
Post edited by attym on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The caps need to burn in for at least 200 hours, so until then don't judge the sound. That said, I would never use Dayton or Solen caps in the high frequency circuit as both are grainy, which results in a harsh top end.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• attym
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So maybe if I didn't try to save $10 and bought sonicaps, I might be happier? I'd be willing to rip these out and get those.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I upgraded to Sonicaps and Mills in my LS90 and am very pleased with the sound. You still may want to give it more time and see if they settle down to your likning and if not then make the change to sonicap.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • attym
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Does it seem "normal" to have the highs be that much more pronounced after upgrading these components? Assuming sonicaps are a better option (and from reading, it seems they should be), would the daytons be that far off from magic?

and I should stress, they speakers are very listenable now... nothing seems wrong, just very different and not all in a good way.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Swap out the Daytons for either Sonic Caps or Clarity Cap ESA's in the HF circuit for a nice improvement.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • attym
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So, what I'm finding is some records sound amazing... better than I ever heard them (Bob Dylan - Blood on the Track MOFI) and others sounds brighter than they were... almost not enjoyable (Beatles - Sgt Pepper's UK)... And that one used to be one of my favorites to listen to. I'm allowing the Daytons to play in there for a while before I go sonicaps... but I suspect I'm just getting used to them being more revealing.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Can this be use:

1.5 ohm Mundorf M-Resist Supreme Resistors

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mundorf-20-watt/1.5-ohm-mundorf-m-resist-supreme-resistors/

Cheers.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Used for what?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Irrenhaus
    edited December 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Used for what?

Oh Sorry

To upgrade R1 on the LS-70 crossover.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You could but I would save my money and get the Mills for $4.25 vs the $14.95 one you linked.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • F1nut
    edited December 2013
    Options
    ^Agreed^

President of Club Polk

• Irrenhaus
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Many thanks.