Audio plans for 2004?

2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited January 2004
    the price ;)

Hits 104db at 25hz...for 400 bucks...no brainer
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2004
    Progress check!

How's everyone doing with thier audio plans??

As most of you know, I did indeed bag that big pair of speakers for the living room. A pair of SDA SRS 2.3tl's. The problem I have is what do I do with them?? I've been turning this over in my mind, over and over.......

What I WANT is to go separates and being the Carver fan that I am, bag a Sunfire pre/pro. Used, they seem to bring (for the older version) about a grand. I'm inclined, in the interim, to go strictly 2ch in the living room and move the HT gear in the bedroom.

I dunno, the plan will probably change SEVERAL times before I finally get home but that is a thought..

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2004
    Troy,

I don't know too much about Sunfire besides that it is highly regarded gear, but Underwood Hi-fi has a special going on the $1,500 Sunfire Reference Symphonic preamp for only $490 brand new. Might be something to check out:

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/specials.html

As for my upgrades this year, how I wound up with two seperate two channel rigs I'm still trying to figure that one out. Looks like I'm sticken with the too much gear not enough rooms syndrome myself.

Paul
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2004
    I'm still waiting for PS Audio to come out with the power cords, suppose to be sometime in August.

The Amazing's are not finished and therefore the SDA's are still waiting for the upgrades.

The vintage Pioneer/Advent rig is done.

In the meantime I decided to overhaul my shop rig. It now consists of Rotel power/pre/tuna, NHT SB-3 speakers and a Sony ES CD spinner.

All in all, things are coming along nicely.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    The vintage Pioneer/Advent rig is done.
    Hey I have one of those - Pioneer SX3700 Receiver, Pioneer CT-F650 Cassette Deck, Benjamin-Miracord (Elac) TT and Large Advent Speakers. What exactly makes up your vintage rig?
    Originally posted by F1nut
    In the meantime I decided to overhaul my shop rig. It now consists of Rotel power/pre/tuna, NHT SB-3 speakers and a Sony ES CD spinner.
    That would make a nice 2 channel rig in any room of the house!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2004
    My Pioneer/Advent rig will be done when I get snag a woofer.

HT - Still enjoying the Altecs. With the finding of a huge Seeburg speaker to use as a center/TV stand, I'm thinking about getting back into 5.1. I've got some fairly sensitive drivers coming to use for the rears. I've got a Klipsch DD 5.1 and enough Dynaco to go around. WTF? It's worth a try.

2-ch rig - Well I got the tubed pre and it sounds reallly nice. It also has dual outputs. This pre, a couple stacks of speakers, a few amps, and a couple of receivers and integrateds with pre-outs/main-ins and I have a bunch of possible combinations.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    hmm...

1) HSU STF-2
    2) Klipsch Preamp
    3) Adcom Tuner
    4) Adcom CD Player
    5) NOTHING!!! WOO HOO!

Didn't I just see you over in the flea market? And you were buying a what? NOTHING??? Upgrade bug what?? BOO HOO!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2004
    Shack,

It's a SA-500 integrated (8 wpc), the matching TA-500 tuna and the original baby Advents. It's good for listening to classical on the FM band at low/med volume. The tuna does a nice job of pulling in stations that some newer stuff can't. How about yours?

Gidrah,

Have you checked with Layne Audio for a woofer?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2004
    I have finally reached a point where i just enjoy the music again. The only thing on my plate will be the Polk XM home tuner when available. I also want to upgrade my subwoofer IC and DVD Player IC as well---but thats small stuff.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2004
    Nothing remotely close from my original post.

1. Going tube amps (mono's) on the B&W front stage in the HT.

2. Almost done building the 12" Eminence Back-loaded Horn Sub for HT.

3. About to start on two sealed 12" Polk subs for the family room.

4. Picking up a pair of Vandersteen, Splendor, and PSB for a shootout for the family room 2ch rig.

5. Tube line stage and upgraded amp in the family room. Have the amp, bagged an Audire - need to find the preamp.

6. Setting up a Golden Tube Rig (tube amp and pre) in the cave along with the SDA / Melos / Carver rig. Still need to find some speakers for it.

7. Selling more audio so far this year, than I've come across in my entire life.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2004
    I'm going to finish the kids game rig. Then I've been checking out the tunes by the pool. I am also considering a 2ch rig in the boathouse. The garage needs a vintage set. Big pair of SDA's for the living room. Another zone in the kitchen. Another outside zone by the grill. Move the SDA 2b's upstairs.

Do you see what you guys have done?!?!? You BASTADS!!!:D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2004
    I haven't checked Layne Audio yet. I may have to do that. I'll probably wait though. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2004
    Instead of divesting myself of most of the excess, I got some more. Back-up or reserve excess is my line of thinking. I have so much stuff here it's unreal. Anthony, I have a lot of good speakers. A lot.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2004
    If Sony's upcoming inexpensive SACD players turns out to be decent, I will pick one up to replace my Sony DVP-NS500P.

Otherwise, upgrade cables.
  • Mark of Cenla
    Mark of Cenla Posts: 35
    edited June 2004
    Since I already bought a DVD player (Sony DVP-725), a CD player (Sherwood CD-7080), and speakers (Polk RTi4's), I will not buy anything else this year, unless something croaks. It would be better for me if nothing did croak. If things continue as they are for a while, when I need to replace something, I'll be able to upgrade, not merely replace. Peace.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited June 2004
    CD player is the first thing. So far, the Creek 50mkII, Linn Genki and Roksan Caspian. The Linn Genki is probably the player I will end up with.

Next on the list, but not this year (perhaps closer to January) a move from my very fine I-5080 intergrated to more of a reference Intergrated. Classe' CAP 151 or SimAudio Moon i-5.

Speakers I've been lookin at include the Totem Hawks, Forests and new PSB lineup.

The CD player is the only for sure thing to be done this year. However. I'll be replacing my NAD 541i.
  • amulford
    edited July 2004
    George,

I'm going to take you up on that offer. As long as you don't call me a$$hole when I turn the sound up.

Shoot me a pm, I'd like to maybe get a peek in the magic closet...:cool:

Anthony
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2004
    I'm in DIY, upgrade and tweak mode these days. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2004
    Anthony,

You got it. I'm kind of tied this weekend. Gotta go out to Long Island and watch my cousin Rick try and blow himself off the earth again.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • amulford
    edited July 2004
    Cool. Yeah, this weekend is out for me also. Krystal's (my daughter) b'day is the fifth, but since she lives w/ her mother, we split the holiday. So her shindig is planned for the fourth. Plus Mary Ann (the animal keeper) Wants to go to Williamsport, PA to see her family the two days prior (don't think I'll make that one;) , although her one brother is cool)

Let me know, man. Have a good Fourth, try to make your cousin keep ten & ten!!:cool:
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited July 2004
    plans for the rest of the year and the next?

lets see....

1 computer sound system should be composed of 4 polk lsi7 speakers (hopefully, the polkies are still in the mail so lets cross our fingers that they arrive in pristine condition).... just upgraded from axioms m22.

2. go into separates for my pc audio system.... do a little more research during spare time, and perhaps invest in an amp and a preamp.

3. maybe a lsi center? prob not though, dorm room and bedroom at home (for summer) is small compared to a full living room... phatom center is a-ok with me.... maybe... ;) .

4. sub is taken care of - svs baby!!

5. maybe if a newer and better soundcard comes out, then i might upgrade to that!

6. perhaps an ipod?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited July 2004
    Plans for 2004.

Click on Concept Drawings Link in my signature below.

On the audio side I bought:
    • Velodyne digital drive 15" subwoofer
    • Pair of Polk Audio LC256is with performance enclosures
    • Bravo D2 DVD Digital Media Player
    • Started the acoustic treatments on the ceiling/walls today

I plan on using my old subwoofer, a Carver Knight Shadow, in conjunction with my Polk f/x500is to make them full range. I'll need to get an other Knight Shadow or a Sunfire Architectural subwoofer, they're almost identical.

Larry
  • Lindasdoing
    Lindasdoing Posts: 11
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by TroyD
    OK guys, what do guys have up your sleeves for the coming year?

I've been thinking long and hard about it and to be honest, I'm sort of stumped. My 2ch rig is DONE. I doubt, seriously, that it will fundamentally change unless I win the lottery for many years.

I've got all the parts for Wendi's bedroom rig, I just have to assemble it is all.

HT? This is what I'm thinking about. Instead of MORE channels, I'm thinking about LESS. I'm thinking about going back to good old 2.0 stereo. What I'm THINKING about is bagging, at some point, another pair of Carver Amazings, preferably the Platinum MKIV's and doing away with the sub. I COULD leave the surround rig there or I could use either the CJ or the C-16 with the m400a bridged mono. To be honest, surround, I could really care less about. I mean, think about it, how cool would it be to have TWO pairs of Amazings in the house? If I want surround, I'll just move that to Wendi's bedroom rig. Win Win deal, really.

I dunno, we shall see but that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment......

BDT