LSI7 versus LSI9

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
edited July 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
i just found out i have a fry's electronics here in illinois.. i can get the lsi7 for 250$... but i can only haggle the lsi9 (from tweeter) to around 120 off retail (900-120 = 780+tax, ~830$).

now, i really want the 9s to anchor my system at main... however, i dont know if i should spend an extra ~600$ of my hard earned college summer work money on an extra driver. of course, there is always the possibility of regret and "what ifs".. but man, even i cant justify spending an extra 600$...

what do you pros think? the lsi7 for 250$ or the lsi9 for 830$? is the lsi9 THAT much better in your opinion over the lsi7??

remember that this is all for a computer, not going 5.1, 4.1 suits me just fine (small dorm room 10x10x8, small bedroom during summer 12x11x9)... and i could always use the extra cash to upgrade my receiver or go into separates.... or just save the money.

help me.. im a n00b still! :D
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
Post edited by Joey_V on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2004
    Hey I like the LSi9's more, but not that much more! 7's all the way!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2004
    I actually like the 7's more. It is a no brainer anyway given the cost.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2004
    thanks for welcoming me guys!

fire.. i saw your rti12 setup... nice man... i must say that the rti has such a nice front baffle.... sooo many drivers.... drool.

mad-
    why would you say that you like the 7 over the 9?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by Joey_V
    i just found out i have a fry's electronics here in illinois.. i can get the lsi7 for 250$...
    They still have them? Get a few pairs and sell them on Ebay. But before that, reserve one for me, I need another pair... :)
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2004
    gosh.. u dont need another pair sami... u already have a lsi7 overload!! lol! :D
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2004
    Nope, both Sami and I are looking for 1 more speaker... Always just one more...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by jdhdiggs
    Nope, both Sami and I are looking for 1 more speaker... Always just one more...
    As is timothyj... :)

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20108&highlight=lsi7

The LSi7 has been a hot topic here lately and no wonder.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by Joey_V
    mad-
    why would you say that you like the 7 over the 9?

I didn't care for the way it handled the bass because I perceived it as going so low then just cutting off whereas the 7 is rolled off nicely. I sold the 9 fairly quickly because I just couldn't enjoy it. The 7's are very nice and I enjoy them a lot, especially the lower end. Of course this is all just my opinion given my system, room etc.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • sully5604
    sully5604 Posts: 32
    edited June 2004
    Joey_v,

Are you serious? They have LSi7s for $250/pr? I'll be in Downers Grove tomorrow. I may have to check that out. I have LSi9s and LSi15...love them both. But heck...at $250/pr that might be too much to pass up!!
    HT System
    Mains: RTi70 bi-wired
    Center: CSi40 bi-wired
    Surround: FXi50
    SVS 20-39PC+
    Denon 3803
    Denon 2200

2 Channel system
    LSi15
    Adcom GFP 565(Pre)
    Adcom 5400
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2004
    actaully, downers grove Frys had the lsi7 for less than 100$ a PAIR!!!

they ran out, needless to say... :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2004
    oh... and i listened to the lsi7 versus the lsi9 extensively today.... the lsi7 seemed to project a more forward soundstage, especially at lower volumes. the 7s had a more up front vocal tone, while the lsi9 i felt, were a little more laidback - perhaps due to the extra bass that was being reproduced by the speaker.

certain songs sounded better on the lsi9... especially ones with a lot of lower midrange like jazz.. but songs that had a lot of vocals tended to excel on the 7s more so than the 9s.

i did feel that the 9s were a little more airy than the 7s, and im sure that the 9s would keep together better at higher volumes due to the second driver... but for my purpose of not having to reach reference levels at all (in my dorm)... the 7s sounded better to my ears... and better to my wallet as well.... :D

the 7s had a more balanced sound, whereas i felt the 9s had holes in it unless turned up higher... soundstage was pretty much equal and the overall transparency im sure was the same - yet due to less bass reproduced on the 7s... the 7s sounded a wee bit more transparent (surely an audio trick).

u may be interested that i compared the lsi7s to the boston 900/pr speaker, the two sonus fabers that tweeter was carrying (@ 1500 and 2000 pair)....

the bostons were def. a little brighter - sounded a little boxy at times though - like maybe i was hitting compression.... but it lacked emotion at times. the tweeter was def. a little more detailed, but at the same time, overly sibilant at above average volumes.. and needless to say, the tweeter completely blanketed the audio at high volumes - i couldnt make out the soundstage or get a clear pic of the midrange imaging at this point. lsi 7 wins.

the sonus lacked the ability to grab me.. but yet, they had better midrange reproduction than the 7... so good infact, that i felt it had better soundstage depth than the 7s. the highs, however, were very laid back....the song remained at an arbitrary curtain right infront of the speakers and never had the ability to grab me. the lsi7 gave a bit of extension up to the bigger 2000$ sonus', but i still felt that it won out in the end.

i could comment on the lsi7's weakness - being the midrange - but i feel that if the midrange were bumped up to the level of the sonus - it might result in a not so balanced speaker. the thing i like the best about the lsi7 is its balance - mids, highs, and bass are just right in my ears. the lsi7 are indeed a rare find.... and althought it is indeed impossible to find the ultimate speaker for under $1000 - i found that it was very refreshing to know that the lsi7 are by far, the best bookshelves to my ears for under 2500$ (maybe except the onix reference 1 bookshelf from av123.com ~ 1500/pr - same vifa tweeter and better 5.25inch driver atohm). :D
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2004
    Your gonna put that quality gear in a dorm room? Keep your **** locked up tight man. Thats prime pickins right there. You must be very trusting or very stupid. Another thing, don't let your idiot friends control the volume. Ever.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2004
    So you haven't got yours yet? Too bad if so....
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2004
    fireshoes,

on the contrary.. i am getting my lsi7.. they should arrive tomorrow - tracking number states that fedex has it in chicago right now... YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

i just meant that i had to find someone to sell me my rear pair of 7s since locally, i cant get them no more... i went to ebay and purchased a second pair... the second lsi7 should be here next week sometime.