JR Monitor impedance

Options
aldojlopez
aldojlopez Posts: 2
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
What is the speaker impedance of a c.1989 Polk 5 JR Monitor Series? Need to know to properly connect to a Scott 299A. Thanks, Aldo
    Post edited by aldojlopez on

Comments

• CHRIS
      CHRIS Posts: 454
      edited March 2002
      Options
      If they are anything like the series two monitors it would be 8 possible 6 ohms. Best I can do.
      Chris :)
    • Systems
      Systems Posts: 14,873
      edited March 2002
      Options
      I believe these are the same spkrs my parents have. While visiting at Xmas, I looked at manual, & I think they are 4 ohms. An email to Polk oughta answer it for sure. By the way, I don't think that the manual gave a +/- db figure, but if I remember correctly, they go down to 31Hz! Certainly sound good.
      Testing
      Testing
      Testing
    • gene stangel
      gene stangel Posts: 35
      edited March 2002
      Options
      I have a pair and I believe that the impedance is 6ohms.
      A great sounding bookshelf speaker that I will have forever.
    • Systems
      Systems Posts: 14,873
      edited March 2002
      Options
      I don't mean to insult anyone by pointing out the obvious, since I am sometimes guilty of overlooking the obvious. Is it possible that the ohm/impedance rating is on the back of the spkr? If you haven't checked there, try it.
      Testing
      Testing
      Testing
    • aldojlopez
      aldojlopez Posts: 2
      edited March 2002
      Options
      Thank you all for your kind replies. Gene, I think you're closer, I apologize for my ignorance, I just discovered I can measure the speakers directly with a ohm meter. Mrcleef, no posting of ohms anywhere on the tech info of the speaker, but to be shure I checked again after you said it. Chris, you gave me choices, but the problem with connecting to a 299A Scott(1960) is that the amp physically has the connections for 4,6, or 8 ohms speakers. To wrap it up I think the amp has all those impedance choices so it can run cooler which nowadays -in transistor times- becomes very crucial so you don't blow those old, hard to get output tubes. By the way the 5JR's pumped by a gentlemean NAD are certainly sounding fine after 12+ years of working just about everyday.
      Gracias again, Aldo