So what's the 411 on Jolida?

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,081
edited October 2013 in Electronics
I am not really in the market for a new tubed pre-amp but I tend to look and might be persuaded to pull the trigger if something blows my skirt up. Still absolutely love the Dared SL-2000A as it still amazes me at how good it sounds for so little money. Looks like I will be moving the Adcom GFP-750 down the road to a local friend. It hardly gets any use so why let it sit unused if someone else can enjoy it.

I am looking for something that uses tubes I already have a plethora of, 12AT7, 12AX7, 12AU7 and all the variants. I thought seriously about Headrott's BAT VK-3i but I just can't start collecting yet another type of tube (6922, 6DJ8). I literally have a couple hundred of the 12A*7 and variants.

Enter Jolida, I know of all the upheaval a few years ago with the trademark and who owned what and the division of the 2 companies in the end.

The question today is, are they still a decent company? Support? and which one to buy from? Or are they a bit sketchy due to the economic times and the infighting?

The pre that has my attention is the Fusion 300B (the remote version). It uses (2) 12At7 and (2) 12Ax7. But there is very little info on the unit and I can't find a single picture on the internet with the top off.

Underwood hi-fi sells a modded version as well as the regular version. The modded version is more than I wanted to spend at $1750. See here http://www.underwoodhifi.com/search/label/Jolida%20Modifications

Is Jolida still a solid company? Worth spending a grand + on one of their pieces? It seems one site is up and the other is under construction.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I had the Fusion pre for a couple months,and it sounded good! Rolled a different set of tubes through it, Mullard's I believe, and didn't hear much change. Sold it and bought the BAT VK5i with stock tubes, and the difference was tremendous! Just my .02. YMMV. Good luck in yer search!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited October 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Considered Rogue? I'd buy that over a Jolida. Jolida's prices have gone up rather substantially the last 5 years or so and put them in a new price bracket. I'd be more tempted to buy Yaqin over Jolida, but at that price range, you have plenty of options that would probably outperform both.

I have some guidelines too. Yaqin I'm not sure will be a huge move up.

1) Has to use a compliment of tubes I already have collected (12A*7 & and variants)
    2) Has to have a remote for volume
    3) I'd prefer the power supply to be tube rectified
    4) I'd prefer to see the tubes glowing vs. enclosed.

3 and 4 I can live without for the right unit, but I'd prefer.

I agree is seems Jolida prices have jumped and I'm not convinced it's because the units are that much better than before vs. tubes making a comeback and wanting to cash in a little bit.

I've looked at QuickSliver, Eastern Electric (no remote) Prima Luna, Belles, Cary (pricey). ALso seriously considering the Dared MP-7C, but I don't need a phono section.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I believe the "other"jolida is out of business and the regular one is still being supported by that place in Annapolis MD.
    I do at times miss my Jolida cd player and wished it did SACD.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Have to disagree with Dskip above. Definitely Jolida over Yaqin! Better designs, longer production. But I do agree that prices are going up and that might present a problem if others are available.

It is my understanding, and I toured the original Jolida plant in China, that there is very little difference between some of these China-clones and German and American designs (they use German windings and parts and their engineers are top notch--it's simply a prejudice to think that something that costs twice as much but is made in the West is "better" at this point--I'd say it's all about the "tubes"--get one, put your tubes into it and compare it to anything TWICE its value and it WILL hold its own).

Having said that. I would not necessarily recommend buying Jolida. Why? That fight between .net and .com seems to have come to an end or at least shut out .net from using the name. That means that in the U.S., .com is the winner. They are who is selling. Now that may or may not be a problem. Here's why. .com has moved their production to a new plant, they have the original designs and should be able to produce a decent unit. But no one yet knows how the new plant compares with the one that was the original production facility for Jolida up until fairly recently.

The good thing is that you would have a U.S. warranty.

I might think about Shuguang instead? Been around for a while, produce what are arguably the best Chinese tubes (not that you boys would stoop that "low", lol), and seem to have a good product.

Others will chime in. As for me, I've been pretty happy with my Jolida, it was an upgrade from the classic 302 and it's been running with NO problems for over two years so I'm past the warranty period, in any case.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited October 2013
    Options
    If you haven't already done so, I would call Walter at Underwood and talk to him about the Fusion. Since you are into tube rolling, he should be able to tell you how much this piece responds to different variants of 12AX7s and 12AT7s. My experiences with Walter have always been very positive. I have purchased quite a few new and used pieces from him.

My guess is the modded version of the Fusion legitimately moves that preamp into a entirely different league than a stock unit. I have a difficult time moving my modified Jolida 502p power amp out of my 2-channel rig for any extended length of time. I keep circling back to it.

IMHO the mod is not likely going to hold much value in the resale market. Stating the obvious, one needs to always try to remember to keep that reality in mind when buying modded gear 'new'.

Mike Allen at Jolida (Maryland) has always been very accessible and helpful. I would call Mike and talk to him directly as well if you are worried about the company. I give Jolida (Maryland) a solid A for customer service. YMMV.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Brock, perhaps the reason you can't find a picture of a Fusion 300B pre amp is that it doesn't exist. Try the Fusion or Fusion 3000 instead. Here's one, http://www.needledoctor.com/Jolida-Fusion-3000-Preamp

As far as Jolida being a solid company, they are still in business at the same location in Annapolis Junction, MD that they have always been, so yeah. They share the same building with United Home Audio, basically a branch of Jolida selling a bunch of other gear including custom R2R's and MBL gear. They just did the 2013 CAF show.

Those mods are done by Chris Johnson at Parts ConneXion, a guy who knows what he's doing. For the little extra money I think it would be well spent.

Support? They are even repairing units purchased from the now dead in the water "sister" company.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk