Squeezebox Touch Issue

fjross
fjross Posts: 183
edited October 2013 in Going Digital
I recently started to loose wireless connection to my Touch. It's only for a few seconds and maybe once or twice during an entire album. I recently received an update from Logitech that I uploaded and wondering if this is the problem. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or received the update. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave
Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
Mcintosh C-45
Mcintosh MVP-871
PS AUDIO AV5000
MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
Polk SDA-2's
Post edited by fjross on

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2013
    fjross wrote: »
    I recently started to loose wireless connection to my Touch. It's only for a few seconds and maybe once or twice during an entire album. I recently received an update from Logitech that I uploaded and wondering if this is the problem. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or received the update. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Nothing else was changed? What WIFI strength does your SB player report? IIRC that is found somewhere in settings, but I may be wrong.

Here you go...I'd start there anyway.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16641/~/checking-wireless-signal-strength-on-my-squeezebox-touch
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2013
    Try moving to another channel. Is anything else in the house interfering ? I know with my Sonos, whenever someone used the microwave it would drop out. Changed channels and all was well again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • fjross
    edited September 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    Try moving to another channel. Is anything else in the house interfering ? I know with my Sonos, whenever someone used the microwave it would drop out. Changed channels and all was well again.
    Thanks Tony and ScompRacer,
    I googled the problem and got the same advice. I did check the signal strength and it was at 100%. I have not changed anything in my household, I only started having this issue since I did the upgrade. I a bit challenged when it comes to computer tech. What's involved in changing the channel if you don't mind me asking?

I am wondering about the line powered Ethernet adaptors. I thought I read in the same post that some used this with good results. If I'm not mistaking, you run a Ethernet cable from the outlet of the router to a unit that you plug into a 110v wall outlet and then plug another unit into a 110 wall outlet near the Squeezebox which would also be connected with another Ethernet cable to the SBT. From what I understand these are available for under $50.00. Do you know if I would loose any SQ with this option?

Thanks David
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk SDA-2's
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited September 2013
    Dave I run Ethernet from the router to the SB and never had a lick of trouble.Sound Quality is fine.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2013
    What kind of router do you have? The router manual would have info of changing channels within the band.

I've always had good luck with updates but things happen. I am hard wired just because it was there already but have friends that are wireless. Sounds like the update hurt you if nothing else changed. Did you try a reset of the Touch? That little 'reset' save me button. Located right above the power input on the Touch.

Just to put it out there, are we talking a hi-rez album? They do require higher bandwidth than standard. 100% is good signal strength but doesn't tell you what you are competing with in the router.

Powerline Ethernet adapters? Isn't that where the signal goes over the electrical wiring in the house? I dunno, it could be fine but gives be pause for concern, like noise?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • fjross
    edited September 2013
    brgman wrote: »
    Dave I run Ethernet from the router to the SB and never had a lick of trouble.Sound Quality is fine.
    Oh, your alive. LOL... Hope all is well at home. I would have to use one of these line power Ethernet adaptors which would run through the 110 wiring in the house. That was my concern about the Ethernet connection and SQ. I give you a call to catch up.
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk SDA-2's
  • fjross
    edited September 2013
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    What kind of router do you have? The router manual would have info of changing channels within the band.

I've always had good luck with updates but things happen. I am hard wired just because it was there already but have friends that are wireless. Sounds like the update hurt you if nothing else changed. Did you try a reset of the Touch? That little 'reset' save me button. Located right above the power input on the Touch.

Just to put it out there, are we talking a hi-rez album? They do require higher bandwidth than standard. 100% is good signal strength but doesn't tell you what you are competing with in the router.

Powerline Ethernet adapters? Isn't that where the signal goes over the electrical wiring in the house? I dunno, it could be fine but gives be pause for concern, like noise?
    I have the router from Verizon FIOS which came with my internet/phone/cable package. I would think I should be able to find the info for the router online. Is it safe to assume that you also have to change the settings in the SBT after changing the router settings?
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk SDA-2's
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited September 2013
    I use several of the power line Ethernet adapters and they work great. I stream hirez VUDU through these connections and it works fantastic. I haven't updated my SB recently and maybe I don't want to right now. Hope everything works out.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited September 2013
    I did the update on my duet and haven't had issues. The update was surprising as I thought Logitech wasn't supporting the squeezebox stuff anymore, but maybe I'm mistaken.

This won't help you, but maybe comfort you. I had similar "buffering" issues sometime last year. It lasted for a couple weeks and then went away. If I remember correctly the only thing I did was a factory re-set which is super easy with the duet. Don't know about the touch.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2013
    Just a thought, to rule out a coincidence, maybe run a diagnostic on your hard drive. Wasn't that long ago I started to get dropouts due to a hard drive going bad. I was glad I had a backup of my drive.
  • fjross
    edited September 2013
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I did the update on my duet and haven't had issues. The update was surprising as I thought Logitech wasn't supporting the squeezebox stuff anymore, but maybe I'm mistaken.

This won't help you, but maybe comfort you. I had similar "buffering" issues sometime last year. It lasted for a couple weeks and then went away. If I remember correctly the only thing I did was a factory re-set which is super easy with the duet. Don't know about the touch.
    Is it safe to assume that you have to re enter all the IP info once you do the factory reset?
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk SDA-2's
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited September 2013
    My duet saves or finds all the information, so I just have to keep hitting ok.

Edit...I do have to enter my wireless password.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • fjross
    edited September 2013
    Thanks to all for the help.

1. I would like to see if it might possibly be a glitch that might fix itself. (this is probably slim to none since it's mine)

2. Factory reset. (hopefully don't have to re-enter all IP address info.

3. Change channel on router if possible. (call 20 year old nephew for help)

4. Check into line power Ethernet adapter and hard wire. I have no problem with this option as long as there's no SQ issues with noise over the 110v house wiring.
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk SDA-2's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited September 2013
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2013
    fjross wrote: »
    Thanks to all for the help.

2. Factory reset. (hopefully don't have to re-enter all IP address info.

Factory reset will require reconfiguration. You can do that from menu or button on the back. I'm guessing but fairly sure they provide the button on back if its froze up or can't see the screen. I had to do that once when trying soundcheck's toolbox setting mods. One setting shuts the display off.

Interesting about the powerline ethernet adapters working well. I've seen remote switching controls via powerline and they caused some noise, like a light dimmer on same circuit interference.
  • fjross
    edited October 2013
    I picked up a set of TP Link Nano 500 power line adapters at my local Microcenter Store. The box was marked $59.00 and was on
    sale for $45.00 with an additional $15.00 mail in rebate. Plugged in the supplied Ethernent cable into the back of the router and the other end into the adapter which is plugged in the wall outlet by my computer desk. The other unit plugged in behind my
    stereo cabinet to the Sqeezebox with the other supplied Ethernet cable. So far the unit has been working flawless with no
    interruptions or sound quality issues.
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk SDA-2's
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited October 2013
    I recently had a similar problem but it was my wifi was not getting to the squeezebox. 28% ouch!. I purchased a wifi extender and it works like a charm. Just an fyi to others. 100% wireless connection. Very happy.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything