SDA weirdness?

I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited June 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
After I moved into my new apartment, I lost my SDA effect for the most part. Finally, last night, I decided to play with my speaker placement. Turns out I had them too far apart. Everything I have read on here kept saying that wider is better. (Pontiac???) Anyway, just thought I would run this by y'all.

FWIW, I have them 50" apart now and before I moved they were only 42" apart.

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2004
    Sig,

Either way you are within the Polk recommendation for soundstage. Did you move them closer to any sidewalls when you moved them apart, should be about 3 ft from sidewalls. Backwall distance about 5", I just moved mine out a bit more and than the 5" trying them out there for a bit.

How do your new neighbors like your SDA:D have you given them a real sound test yet or been taking it easy on them?

RT1
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2004
    Wes
    Was most of your listening at the old place done "nearfield?" Most speakers, SDA or not, will have a more expansive soundstage in nearfield listening, I'm thinking you're listening spot is probably farther back, now that you have more room? You might play around with toe-in.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    You might play around with toe-in.

NOT with SDA's, no toe in at all, screws up the SDA array
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2004
    SDA makes me my nether region feel weird.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited June 2004
    Wes, the recommended distance between the speakers is 6' to 8', inside edge to inside edge and the ideal seating distance should be equal to the distance between the speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited June 2004
    I have 5 sets of sda speakers and they all sound different. The room geometry has a profound effect. Also the things in the room alos affect the sound stage.

Did you change what is between the speakers such as a large TV or equipment rack?

I like the sound stage best with nothing between the SDAs. With a highly reflective material such as windows the sound stage is even larger.

Play around with the speaker positions, have a beer, remove the furiture between the speakers, have another beer, move your seat closer, have another beer, take a pee and have a blast.

Peter
  • I-SIG
    edited June 2004
    Steve is correct, I was doing much nearer-field listening than I am now. My listening position is alittle over 9ft. from the front of the speakers.

Maybe this particular set just like being close together? I might have a picture of the room and old set up. I'll snap one tonight of the current set-up. I do know that putting them closer together gained me some space on the sides (obviously) so maybe that fixed it for me?

After some more listening in the new positions this weekend, I think this is the best my SDA's have ever sounded or imaged. Room-filling sounds on DSOTM and noticeable SDA effects on stuff I never really noticed it on before.

Whatever work, I suppose...

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2004
    I bet those pups sound fantastic with the extra room. Glad you found a solution.

Side note: I've got the SVS dialed-in finally. I love this thing.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I-SIG
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, I think the space helped not to mention getting rid of the all the furniture that was surrounding the SDA's. Russ (hoosier21) sent me a tube preamp to demo so I can't wait to get that fired up this evening and see what that's like!

Wes

• dorokusai
    edited June 2004
    Wes - If you only knew where Russ warms his tubes up, you might reject that package :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2004
    that's why ASL includes a white glove
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • I-SIG
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    that's why ASL includes a white glove

But the real question is do I even want to put my hand in the white glove?!? ;)

Wes

• dorokusai
    edited June 2004
    I play Thriller when I change tubes, makes my nose feel funny tho'....