VR3 does it again.

Options
heartystatue
heartystatue Posts: 329
edited November 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
Trey, I just wanted to say thanks for the awesome work and customer service you did for me. All the quick responses to all my questions and the pic's of your progress on my crossover mod. My non TL 2.3's sound amazing. The SDA affect is working so good my dog was barking at the phantom sounds he could hear but could not see. Too funny.If anyone is thinking of this mod Vr3 should be on your short list.
Thanks again.
Dave.
HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3:biggrin: Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I, Essence HDACC.
Post edited by heartystatue on

Comments

• JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Seeing this made my day, especially about the dog. VR3 has done top-shelf work for as long as I've known.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thanks Dave! I am glad to hear you are enjoying them.

I think it is always neat when your pets think something is there from your movie or music... :-D

Thank you again
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited September 2013
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Somewhat off topic - I did not know pets could hear the SDA effect. I thought it was calibrated to the human ear by the spacing of the regular and dimensional driver.

No real shock there... Anything we can hear, they can hear better. (insert smilie here)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I to was also in touch w/ Vr-3 a lot and the responses are immediate, to the point and w/ explanations that even a moron like me can understand.Abosleutly looking foward to do my x-overs as soon as the 194 tweeters are in and then the real test will be heard as everyone here has already said that's the 1st major technical mod then the x- overs, all other mechanical mods that I'm willing to do have been done.Extreme Dynamating all basket spars, adding some floor deadening material, Liquid Nailed all seams and refinished ugly water stained light oak tops to a really cool Walnut stain w/ poly finish.Oh yeah, I finally found out what the f TL stood for and was somewhat embarassed to ask but they told me.One other point, I went into Gimpods schematic of his x-overs and was really impressed w/ what I saw and didn't look all that tough especially w/ all the highligted postions of the new caps and resistors but again maybe out of my leauge and best just to send them off when the time comes.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Yea a little hard for some but the custom boards are the key they make the job easy.

I to was also in touch w/ Vr-3 a lot and the responses are immediate, to the point and w/ explanations that even a moron like me can understand.Abosleutly looking foward to do my x-overs as soon as the 194 tweeters are in and then the real test will be heard as everyone here has already said that's the 1st major technical mod then the x- overs, all other mechanical mods that I'm willing to do have been done.Extreme Dynamating all basket spars, adding some floor deadening material, Liquid Nailed all seams and refinished ugly water stained light oak tops to a really cool Walnut stain w/ poly finish.Oh yeah, I finally found out what the f TL stood for and was somewhat embarassed to ask but they told me.One other point, I went into Gimpods schematic of his x-overs and was really impressed w/ what I saw and didn't look all that tough especially w/ all the highligted postions of the new caps and resistors but again maybe out of my leauge and best just to send them off when the time comes.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • heartystatue
    edited September 2013
    Options
    What is so cool about doing these mods on my speaks is I did all the mech mods first and did some listening. I found a huge improvement in the bass right off the bat. I then changed out all the tweeters with the rdo194. Again a noticeable improvement. The crossovers are truly the icing on the cake, the biggest noticeable sound difference. I have 200 hours on them today. (Been running 24/7) They sound absolutely amazing. I am now waiting for my MIT shotgun speaker wires from Joe Abrams to arrive. ( Thanks F1nut and all polkies for your input on wires) This is truely alot of fun.
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3:biggrin: Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited September 2013
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    hrm all these accolades for VR3 mods....will he still be doing this in 5 years when the warranty of my RTiA7's runs out then...upgrade my crossovers ? lol

I wouldn't let a warrenty stand in the way of greatness.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • heartystatue
    edited September 2013
    Options
    My thoughts too!
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thank you again guys!

We offer a 10 year warranty on any of our work, FWIW.

And Josh if you ever want to send your crossovers back here I will completely redo them with a point to point crossover on the house since you were the first "stack" - that offer will always be on the table!

Thank you again guys!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2013
    Options
    jbooker82 wrote: »
    i wouldn't let a warrenty stand in the way of greatness.
    ditto! (lol!)
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • fryedspeakers
    fryedspeakers Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    Options
    vr3 mods, gotta say this fortress plus mod rocks. totally out performs the fortress mod. this thing is like a brick as trey said it would be. i see increased volume in this mod. dont have to turn the volume up up as loud to hit that sweet spot. rocked out to the new eric claptons crossroads dvd. these lsi 9s are rocking now. the highs are more cleaner and lows are more lower.. if you want more outta your lsi 9s hi highly would go for this mod.... thanks again trey
  • VR3
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hey Thomas!

I am glad to hear you are feeling better!

The Fortress Plus LSi9 seems to be a real performer, the other owner I did the mod for was floored!! :)

Thank you for the feedback!
  • fryedspeakers
    fryedspeakers Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    Options
    gotta say you hit this mod out of the park !!!! thanks again trey
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Trey keeps this up, he's going to hit "God" status in no time.

......but I'm still not kissing your ring damn it....swear I just won't do it !!

Nice work pal, nice to see you flourishing. Best wishes for continued success.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited November 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Trey keeps this up, he's going to hit "God" status in no time.

......but I'm still not kissing your ring damn it....swear I just won't do it !!

Nice work pal, nice to see you flourishing. Best wishes for continued success.

Well if he hits that status you won't be kissing his ring you'll be washing his feet:lol:
  • VR3
    edited November 2013
    Options
    :-P

You guys crack me up... thank you very much!
  • gp4jesus
    edited November 2013
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well if he hits that status you won't be kissing his ring you'll be washing his feet:lol:
    You might have that backwards

So he (Jesus) got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him. (John 13:4-5 NLT)

"And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet." (John 13:14 NLT)
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes I know I had it backwards, but in my defense I was going on the pope going and washing some feet of the poor in one of his last trips
  • gp4jesus
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The Pope has it right though his action may be a long-held tradition.

"For even the Son of Man (Jesus) came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28 Mark 10:45 NLT)