Polk Audio LSi7 Crossover Modification Thread

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,053
edited September 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I don't see too many people modifying these -

This was a lot of fun. After messing around with different ways to build crossovers and ironing out the details and materials I think this is pretty close to how I am going to start building everything...

Tweeter Network -
Clarity Cap ESA / Mundorf Mox

Midbass - Clarity PX / Mundorf Mox
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited September 2013
    Options
    That looks great!
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thank you sir! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2013
    Options
    As always, very nice looking work!

Your work defines "continuous improvement."
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Looks good Trey. It might be a good idea to use thread locker on the all thread. I can see that the nuts could move over time with all the vibration inside the speaker cabinet.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Trey,
    You are getting better and better, AND cleaner with every one that you do. It really is ART!
    Nice job!!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)

I have considered thread lock or some form of locking nut for that reason but I have had customers blow resistors or an inductor (some like it a little too loud... ;-P) and I designed the crossovers to where you can remove the front plate to maintenance the resistors, hence why everything is mounted underneath...

I have been researching the last year particularly with my Monastery mods different ways to secure, fasten, build these but I look at long term maintenance/upgrading as a first priority. If* the owner wants to upgrade further how it then be taken apart just as much how I am putting it together. My second goal is making it as easy for the owner as possible.

I hope to here shortly start building the LSi series with aftermarket inductors on the stacks, I have the layout, I have the material now that can support is just gotta do it! :-D
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Given your maintenance/ability for future upgrade considerations, what you would want is the blue threadlocker. It allows for disassembly. The red locks things in place permanently.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I will definitely look into that as I am all about improving, changing, growing!!

Thank you for the recommendation