**** this, I'm going for broke

User Name
User Name Posts: 106
edited June 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Okay - wish me luck - I'm confronting my parents tomorrow and asking for 800 bucks. That would cover those speakers and leave 350 or so to spare for an amplifier that'll do them justice. This is going to be interesting - the other day my mom told me 600 was "way too much" and my dad told me I don't need a stereo. (I'm going to argue that 2 years of passing-up Christmas and birthday presents should pay for this. That and 300 bucks from relatives that they were supposed to be "holding" for me!)

I'm afraid this won't work, though - it might be less of a money issue than I would like to hope given how screwed-up my family is.
Post edited by User Name on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited June 2004
    Good Luck!

It sounds like you have a less than ideal situation with your family and that is sad. More than anything else in this world is the need for a good family. It makes all the other junk we have to deal with a little easier. Feel free to show them this and the forum, maybe it'll jar something.

ATB,
    Jesse

BTW, for your father......a stereo/music is essential for the soul.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• User Name
    edited June 2004
    Supposing I get up to 700, of the azur 540A and NAD C320BEE which were mentioned, which would you prefer? The NAD, as was mentioned, can be had for 280 refurb- the azur for probably the same if stores sell open-box or refurbs for the same price as "like new items" from individuals. I think if I present exactly what I want to get they'll ease up a little, whereas if I give them a relative price-range, they'll ask why I can't go lower. Unfortunately the difference between what you can buy for 200 and 300 is quite a bit when it comes to integrated amps and you're limited to buying from a shop.

As far as my family goes, its still salvageable (trying to be optimistic) - my life is probably more of a mess - it was stupid to get into - its all out of my control.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited June 2004
    I hope things work out for you, and heres wishing you the best. :)
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2004
    and my dad told me I don't need a stereo.

You don't actually need shelter either but it's definitely a plus ;)

Tell him he doesn't actually need an SUV either! :D

(he's no doubt got one...........everyone else seems to)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • User Name
    edited June 2004
    US - and actually he's against suv's - he's getting a hybrid
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited June 2004
    could always resort to trading for chores.

)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited June 2004
    Makes me thankful to have the parents I have!

As long as I dont spend over 600 dollars on ONE thing -- they seem to be fine. Although, my Mom does think I have lost my marbles. Heck i would to if I was watching me trading gear in and out of the house for 3 years!!!

LOL - Good luck dude!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    my Mom does think I have lost my marbles.

Mothers know best. ;)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, I suppose so...

But that isn't going to keep me from buying gear! :p
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Yeah, I suppose so...

But that isn't going to keep me from buying gear! :p

Heck, I wish I had been able to buy gear at your age. Shoot, I had to walk back and forth to school up hill both ways in the snow, with no shoes. :D j/k.
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    I can't wait to tell my kids when I get older....

That I had to ride in a car to school, with no shoes, in the snow up a hill both ways! Muahahaha!

Oh yeah - If Sean is carrying a belt, sunglasses or his Fowler Sttafs -- RUN!
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by User Name
    **** this, I'm going for broke
    **** that, GET A JOB ...
  • User Name
    edited June 2004
    County, hah. :D I wasn't thinking - forget it. :rolleyes: Fairfax.
  • User Name
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by PolkWannabie
    **** that, GET A JOB ...

That issue is more complicated than you think - not a viable solution for me, although it would work for most people - too hard to explain.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2004
    Ah, Fairfax, Va.......that explains it all.

President of Club Polk

• User Name
    edited June 2004
    I was afraid to ask them - I'm trying to find a good time to bring it up. I'm also trying to decide exactly how much I really have to ask for - I don't want to ask for more than I really have to but I also don't want to have to come back to them again. To be honest, it would help if somebody could clarify which is better- the Cambridge or the NAD (mentioned above) - then I can go to them with specific requests. No doubt they'll look at the pictures of what I want and frown. My brother won't help - he thinks this stuff is all inferior to your HTIB.
    After that, they'll probably want me to find a place to try at least the speakers. If they approve, then comes a period of waiting (they'll say its for money reasons - but it'll really be because they don't like going ahead with this). Finally after that I might get an okay for ordering the stuff. Ordering could also take time if the stuff isn't in-stock. Definitely an over-complicated process if you ask me.
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    I don't think you will be unsatisfied with either.

The NAD or Cambridge are fine units -- I would take the NAD personally.
  • User Name
    edited June 2004
    The Cambridge is more visually pleasing, that's for sure. However, I'm going to be a smart buyer and disregard that urge as I did when I was comparing speakers. (I went the other way, in fact - those are ugly, strange looking ****, those SB3's) Why do you prefer the NAD? Or is this simply a matter of personal preference? Its highly improbable that I'll get a chance to try either - so forum members - this decision will rest on your overall recommendation.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2004
    The NHT's are beautiful in person, the black lacquer is quite something, but more importantly they sound great.

I vote for the Cambridge, NAD to me seems not as well built.

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2004
    Good luck dude. You might want to try audiogon if you don't mind used equipments.

Parents will always get in the way of your audio hobby. When you're not working, they **** at you when you need money for your system. Once you start working, it gets even harder. You end up spending a lot and buy much bigger stuff. The hardest part is buying new stuff without telling them, hide the old gear, and pretend nothing changed. My parents usually find out within a week.

Maurice
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Maurice,

I gave up on that a long time ago.

Outside of my door, there are boxes stacked up to the ceiling. Speakers everywhere....

I even mention the word audio - and my mom gives me the look of death....

ROTFLMAO:D:D You still lie about the price, right?

When I got the RF-35, I folded the boxes and tucked them away neatly under the couch. They're still there lol. But I'm coming out of the closet now:). I set up the LSi9 in the left side of the room using a pioneer dvd player/rotel pre/nad amp. So now I have two 2ch systems.

Maurice
  • VR3
    edited June 2004
    I have 20 boxes in the garage.

Mom dosnt ask me how much it costs :D
  • User Name
    edited June 2004
    ATCVenom, are there any new amplifiers that you think match better with the NHT's that I haven't mentioned (I'm pretty decided on the SB3's)?

BTW, I saw that you're buying a new sound-card - so hopefully you'll know about this. I have a Delta 44 (more info here) that I bought a few years ago for monitoring my keyboards and recording my playing for when I come across something I like (I always used headphones). Can I connect that directly to an integrated amp without any problems? You'd just take two cables and hook them up, right? I just want to check with you. ;)

In hindsight I might have looked for something with better specs - but I needed something on the spot and the separate box is great because it allows me to easily switch the connections. If I didn't have that, I would have needed something like 8 or 10 ins instead of 4!
  • Mark of Cenla
    Mark of Cenla Posts: 35
    edited June 2004
    If you are thinking about playing a keyboard (piano, synth, organ, etc.) directly through your stereo, DON"T DO IT! You will be in grave danger of blowing your tweeters. It would probably be OK at very low volumes, but I would never do it. Musical intruments should only be played through instrument speakers. Peace.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
  • User Name
    edited June 2004
    It wouldn't make much sense to play through a stereo on a day to day basis - it colors the sound. It was not my intention.

I appreciate your concern, however I disagree with you. I find it very unlikely that a speaker with a 175 watt rating driven by a 40 or 50 watt amplifier (really 100 watts) can be overdriven to the point of damaging it.

The only thing I can think of that could potentially damage a speaker would be setting the resonance too high and sweeping the filter at very high volume, and even this wouldn't cause that much trouble except when playing certain patches. However, this wouldn't threaten only the tweeter, but drivers for all frequencies. Also, the sound this would produce would probably be more harmful to your ears than anything else. Anyway - unless you really have no idea what you're doing - I see no problem. Perhaps with lower-end gear it is a different situation.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by User Name
    I find it very unlikely that a speaker with a 175 watt rating driven by a 40 or 50 watt amplifier (really 100 watts) can be overdriven to the point of damaging it.

Want to bet?

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2004
    ooohh, can I get in on that bet as well???

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2004
    I want in on this action, I'll bet my cave rig listed below.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • User Name
    edited June 2004
    Okay - maybe I was wrong about that - but I still don't think my keyboards will cause any more problems - however I'm not using the stereo for that anyway, so its not an issue.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2004
    Electronic instruments + 50wpc amps + speakers that can handle a lot more than 50wpc = probable melted tweeters. Not a good equation.

You overdrive the amp, not the speaker. While you're busy overdriving the amp, along with the tiny increase in power output from the amp, comes a LARGE and DISPROPORTIONATE increase in distortion from the amp, which finds its way to your tweeters in the form of heat, and your tweeters then find their way to your garbage can in the form of garbage.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)