Install questions

zappamos
zappamos Posts: 2
edited September 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi, I'm looking for a little advice/help from some of you more knowledgeable car install guys.

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado with DB651's in the front doors and (I think) db461s' in the rear doors. I've noticed recently how one of the fronts sounds blown. I removed the door panel and took a look at the speaker and sure enough the rubber surround is cracked. I've had these speakers in there for 8 years or so, so it may be about time they start wearing out. Is this a good assumption, or should I expect more life from them?

I also noticed how the mounting screws are all installed at an angle instead of straight into the door frame. It even looks like the head of at least one of those screws was so large that it would be rubbing against the rubber surround causing it to wear out faster. And I did notice that the tears in the rubber seemed to be at those points. Did I have a bad install? It was done at a now defunct company where I bought the speakers and HU.

I plan on replacing the fronts with another pair of db651's. When I do this should I look for a mounting bracket or something similar to get the screws further from the surround? Maybe even different screws with heads that will not touch the surround?

If you need any more info then please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by zappamos on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2013
    The speakers should come with their own set of installation hardware - including screws that fit properly.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • zappamos
    zappamos Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for that. Next question that I can't seem to find an answer for is what are the adapter rings included in the box made of? Plastic or metal, I will most likely need for them to bend slightly in places to fit to the metal of the door. I think if they were plastic they would snap but metal would bend as needed. Can anyone confirm this?
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited September 2013
    The rings that come with the DB's are plastic.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000