Rant and ticked at myself DSD

Options
erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,315
edited August 2013 in Going Digital
I made a mistake and waited to upgrade my W4S dac2 for the DSD upgrade. When the DSD upgrade first came out, it was priced at what I thought was reasonable $349. A few months later it's now $495. I did email W4s and they said it wound up costing more to do the upgrade than expected. I am ticked at myself for not jumping on it when they first offered it!

I understand they didn't realize how much it cost to begin with but, it's just a little bit hard for me to swallow!

Thanks for reading my rant. Just needed to get that off of my chest.
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
Post edited by erniejade on

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Bummer, worthy of a rant. I read the upgrade page. I see a USB module with galvanic isolation is added. The ESS Sabre DAC chip already does DSD with some slight remapping of input. Their module upgrade increases resolution to 32bit 384KHz. I had that on a USB module group buy for $60, it does I2S and DSD. You would have to know more details as to the why. Is it their design, OEM supplier, etc.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited August 2013
    Options
    "due to additional costs involved (that were late additions) which included various upgraded assemblies we had to raise the price " I understand and hey they need to make money to stay in business but, from 350 to 495 is a big jump. I am kicking myself for not doing it earlier.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Bummer for sure.
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203