B&K PT3 Series II review

warviper
warviper Posts: 585
edited June 2004 in Electronics
Just got back from CA and i picked up a B&K pre/tuner while i was down there and here are my initial thoughts.

:(

I have only had it hooked up for about three hours and I am not digging the sound. Its seems a little wierd all electronic like and not verry smooth. Seems to be a verry rough sound and there does not seem to be the seperation or the clarity that the adcom passive that I was running before. There also seems to be dampening the volume and i dont seem to be getting as much sound out of it compared with the adcom. The only plus is the bass seems to be louder. The highs seem to be muted and vauge. Verry dissapointed over all. Maybe it can be fixed with ics, please add any thoughts that you may have. Can anyone tell if that is a anlalog pre or is it digital, Im thinking its digital and Im not liking it. Hope it opens up after it breaks in.
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by warviper on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2004
    My PT5 sounded terrible the first few hours when it was brand new. It got much better with time. Give it about a week or two with some good playtime and see what happens.

What's the rest of your gear? Amps, Speakers?
  • warviper
    edited June 2004
    Got mine hooked up to a sunfire MKII and the speakers are the sda 1cs. Its not sounding as bad now not sure if it is breaking in or maybe Im getting used to the sound. Gonna give it about a week then Im going back to the Adcom and see if I prefer the Adcom. Glad that yours turned out ok that gives me a little light at the end of the tunnel.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    warviper,

Yeah give it some time. Mine sounded just like you described at first.

However, the B&K pre when I compare to my Musical Fidelity pre does sound more laid back and warmer sounding. Depending on the speakers you use it could be a good or bad thing.

Haven't tried anything from Adcom or SDAs so I can't comment there.

Good Luck.
    Paul
  • warviper
    edited June 2004
    Yea I have noticed that the bass is more pronounced.
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited June 2004
    i don't know about sda placement, but if it were conventional speaks and it sounded that much different i'd say it might be worth relooking at placement.

)
  • warviper
    edited June 2004
    Repositioning the sdas?

i don't know about sda placement, but if it were conventional speaks and it sounded that much different i'd say it might be worth relooking at placement.
  • pjdami
    edited June 2004
    warviper,

How's the burn-in on the pre going. Lay it on me good or bad man.

Paul
  • scottnbnj
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by warviper
    Repositioning the sdas?

without burning too many pixels before you're confident that break-in is done, you've listened to a wide variety of tunes and you're still not digging what you're hearing,..

if these were conventional speaks, i would say yes *definately* based on the review above. but again, i really don't know about sda placement issues, i just gather it's different based on what i have read in the forum.

)
  • warviper
    edited June 2004
    Gonna give it a little more time. Waiting on the Adcom to get back from the shop then gonna do a head to head. Hope that the B&K stays but only one can be the best. The other one is gonna go to the flea market. Hmmmm why would a new pre change the positioning of the speaks? Might give it a try tomorrow but I am doubting it.
  • scottnbnj
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by warviper
    Hope that the B&K stays but only one can be the best. The other one is gonna go to the flea market.

orrr,.. maybe i am totally wrong about all of this [read: and that thing could make a nice with the mad scientist's creation for a while].

try the tone controls, that might help.

i'm gonna go listen to the carver receiver a bit and think about whether there's anything else that i might offer that could be of any help.

your humble servant,

)
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited June 2004
    Maybe the unit is defective.

Try calling B&K, they are very good on the phone. All my calls to them were answered by electrical engineers with very good advice.
  • warviper
    edited June 2004
    Man I hate using the tone controls thats why i got nice speaks in the first place so i would not need to. Thought about that and I will give them a call when I get some free time.

scottnbnj, since you been doing such a great job why dont you take sunday off then get back to work first thing monday morning.

;):D
  • scottnbnj
    edited June 2004
    well,.. i've been working feverishly to come up with ~some~ way of preventing that sweet pt3 from becoming frankenstein's bride.

you've probably been tweaking your system to suit the strengths and weaknesses of the adcom for a while. it's only fair that the pt3 gets a fair shot at sounding it's best too, free from the influence the adcom has had on your system.

maybe if you stack those sda's on top of each other..

)
  • warviper
    edited June 2004
    ;) gotcha gonna stack them now!