Looking for better CD player suggestions

Options
Timothy Smith
Timothy Smith Posts: 764
edited October 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I am looking to step up in terms of sound quality for my next CD player.

I have owned a slew of different CD players, mostly different NADs, Rotels, and Cambridge Audios with some other brands thrown in.

Any new or used CD player suggestions from Forum members?

Considering something $500 or less whether new or used. Maybe more if I sell some other stuff.

Thanks!
Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
Post edited by Timothy Smith on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Oppo.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Any of the MF players, Cary.....too many out there to nail down one.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,526
    edited August 2013
    Options
    How about a used Rega Apollo?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Since your Rotel has a digital output, I would recommend adding an external DAC and keeping the Rotel as a transport only. A $500 DAC will get you better sound quality than a $500 CDP.

You should be able to find a Benchmark DAC-1 for close to that price. Great DAC, just ask Steve above.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Something with "tubes". CD sound is fairly brittle and the main problem with it is up HIGH. All the players you list (owned) are "good" but can have a little digital glare up top. A nice tube player (used) can probably be had in the 500-700 range. And you can always roll the tubes.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,389
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Since your Rotel has a digital output, I would recommend adding an external DAC and keeping the Rotel as a transport only. A $500 DAC will get you better sound quality than a $500 CDP.

You should be able to find a Benchmark DAC-1 for close to that price. Great DAC, just ask Steve above.
    +1 on the DAC a 500.00 DAC will make a MUCH bigher impact than a 500.00 cdp!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I am looking to step up in terms of sound quality for my next CD player.

I have owned a slew of different CD players, mostly different NADs, Rotels, and Cambridge Audios with some other brands thrown in.

Any new or used CD player suggestions from Forum members?

Considering something $500 or less whether new or used. Maybe more if I sell some other stuff.

Thanks!

I'd get a nice DAC.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,320
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I agree with all the suggestions. A nice DAC or a tube player. Or Both eventually. Or a tube dac. I will say this, I had a few nice solid SACD players but, when I got the w4s dac2, redbook cd's sounded better then sacd! Since the DSD part does not go through the digital out on a sacd player and it uses its own internal dac, it started me on my quest for a better sacd player and I wound up going with a tube sacd player and wound up rolling several tubes till I found the right combo of some early 60's Mullard.

Do you have or into SACD? If not, get a new DAC. Plenty out there on the new and used market for what your looking to spend and it will help you get onto digital like flac files and such.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,468
    edited August 2013
    Options
    The tried and true Jolida JD-100 tube CDP [12AX7 based] is a rather fine player that many here on this forum still use for their rig. Even if other equipment comes and goes, many have not let go of their Jolida. Food for thought since you asked about a CDP and if you decide not to go the DAC route.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited August 2013
    Options
    + 1 on that advice...

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,014
    edited August 2013
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    The tried and true Jolida JD-100 tube CDP [12AX7 based] is a rather fine player that many here on this forum still use for their rig. Even if other equipment comes and goes, many have not let go of their Jolida. Food for thought since you asked about a CDP and if you decide not to go the DAC route.

Tom

+1 on this. A couple of years ago I did a side by side comparo of Jolida versus Rotel posted on CP. Jolida won easily. It sounds better to my ears than my Rega DAC. I don't think a SS DAC will get you what you're looking for.

Edit: Here's the link if you are interested in reading: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?108913-CDP-Shootout-Jolida-JD100-vs-Rotel-RCD-1072
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • treitz3
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I actually "upgraded" from the Rega Apollo to the Jolida. While the Rega sounded good, it presented more of an "in your face" playback whereas the Jolida was further back with it's sound stage presentation. This made for front to back imaging that was more realistic in reproduction [depth of sound stage] than that of the Rega. When coupled with the tubes I have, the Jolida won out between these two players in my system with many aspects. Not just the sound stage presentation. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Timothy Smith
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Wow!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies and suggestions.

It seems like I have been at this hobby for a long time, but I have a lot to learn.

The next step in the journey toward better sound is always exciting, and the payback is that you can go back through your "old" music collection and rediscover nuances that you have missed for all of those years.

We all probably know that the journey will never end, and if it ever did, that would be a letdown, and frankly boring.

Tim
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2013
    Options

This brings up an issue I've been curious about.

Do y'all have any thoughts on whether using my Grant Fidelity TubeDac would be better than the internal DAC in my Rotel 855?

Need to try it, just havent gotten around to buying the damned cable.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    edited August 2013
    Options
    You have a digital cable going from your squeezebox to the dac, use that one to find out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2013
    Options
    stretchl wrote: »
    This brings up an issue I've been curious about.

Do y'all have any thoughts on whether using my Grant Fidelity TubeDac would be better than the internal DAC in my Rotel 855?

Need to try it, just havent gotten around to buying the damned cable.

You have to try it. Do it like this:

- Chain 1: Rotel > Analog Out > Input 1 on Yaqin
    - Chain 2: Rotel > Digitial Out > GFTubeDAC > Analog Out > Input 2 on Yaqin

Now play a CD and just switch between inputs on the pre. This is especially easy if you have a remote; you can just sit in the sweetspot and switch back and forth on the remote. That's how I do DAC comparisons.

And FYI you can use most standard analog IC's as a digital coax cable. Ideally it would be 75 ohms. Component Video cables (the red/blue/green ones) are 75 ohm so they work well.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,320
    edited August 2013
    Options
    the tube dac11 is a good player but roll the tubes in it. Lots of options with it. If your looking for dsd though, its not for you but, it does do 24/192. A lot of great reviews on it especially for the price.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • stretchl
    edited August 2013
    Options
    It's super short, like 6", and won't be long enough.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • stretchl
    edited August 2013
    Options
    You have to try it. Do it like this:

- Chain 1: Rotel > Analog Out > Input 1 on Yaqin
    - Chain 2: Rotel > Digitial Out > GFTubeDAC > Analog Out > Input 2 on Yaqin

Now play a CD and just switch between inputs on the pre. This is especially easy if you have a remote; you can just sit in the sweetspot and switch back and forth on the remote. That's how I do DAC comparisons.

And FYI you can use most standard analog IC's as a digital coax cable. Ideally it would be 75 ohms. Component Video cables (the red/blue/green ones) are 75 ohm so they work well.

Great advice. Didn't know that about the component video cables. Definitely have some of them laying about.
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,886
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Another for the Jolida. Drop some Sylvania 3 mica black plate 5751's in it and a good aftermarket power cord.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Another for the Jolida. Drop some Sylvania 3 mica black plate 5751's in it and a good aftermarket power cord.

Hey F1, have you ever compared the Jolida to a Oppo?

I am sure the Jolida is better, but how much?

I would love to have something close to vinyl, not rich though.

I have a 83SE, thinking about the 105. Then again I'm not sure.

Thanks.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,886
    edited August 2013
    Options
    No I haven't, sorry.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Assimilated owns both the 83se and 105. Perhaps you should pm him and get his thoughts.

Thanks, if I get very serious I will.

What I really would like to know is how they compare to a Jolida.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • treitz3
    edited August 2013
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

Jesse hasn't but I have. We did a direct A/B between the an Oppo and the Jolida 4 or 5 years [and a couple of models] ago. I can't recall differences between CDP's that have been so drastically different in sound. In fact, we had the same album playing in both players at one point. The Oppo had the SACD and the Jolida had the rebook CD [on the same system] and the Jolida still came out on top in spades. Now as for a recent comparison, that we have not done. I have read that the newer Oppo's have improved their playback but as to how much? You'll have to ask someone who has perhaps done a comparison between a newer Oppo and the Jolida.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Agreed, Mr. Skip. I don't think it would have been so well received by the audio crowd if it hadn't. That why I mentioned that it was a couple of models ago......but even the Oppo I A/B'd back then was getting some mad praise......so I don't really know what to think about that. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The newer models have won some awards along with the praise [not from just reviewers], so one would think.....

Tom
  • Obsession18
    Obsession18 Posts: 191
    edited August 2013
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

I am sure the Jolida is better, but how much?

I would love to have something close to vinyl, not rich though.

I have a 83SE, thinking about the 105. Then again I'm not sure.

Thanks.

The Jolida will get you somewhat close to vinyl provided you change out the stock chinese tubes, the Psvanes I'm using in mine really smoothed things out.

If you decide to go the Jolida route be aware that there are/was two Jolida companies out there, Jolida.com (USA based in MD) and Jolida.net (China). I bought from Jolida.net a couple of years ago and came to regret it, the unit failed after about 18 months and Jolida.net was no where to be found, luckily Jolida USA agreed to repair it for me. The tech who did the repairs commented on the numerous cold solder joints he encountered, so make sure you get a Jolida USA unit.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • Timothy Smith
    edited October 2013
    Options
    You guys were right.

I bought a used Emotiva ERC-1 from a new friend last night and also borrowed a Keces DA-131 DAC from him too to try out.

Hooked them up after work today and I love it!