Where'd all the beer threads go?

mrbiron
mrbiron Posts: 5,711
edited July 2014 in The Clubhouse
Haven't seen anything new from anyone in the beer department?!? Have we all gone soft and fallen victim to the pinky-up, wining?

So, where is everyone in their quest to drink every beer on the planet? I recently went out on a whim and bought a 1/4 barrel of Founders All Day IPA out of Michigan. Fantastic! I had only heard of the brewery but had never tried anything by them. Looked them up in the keg catalog at the local **** and put in my request. Had the keg 1 week later. It's a little on the light side but definitely an easy, safe beer that most will enjoy.

Just looking to see if the hobby of "beer-ing" still exists around here. I'm in a beer club now and have had approximately, 160 different types of been in the last 12 months plus whatever i buy for myself at home. AWESOME!

Also have bottles of Wachusett Nut Brown Ale, Back Bay IPA, and something I was hesitant to buy but did anyway due to never having one is Killians Stout.

BEER!:cool:
Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
Post edited by mrbiron on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2013
    I can't even afford beer right now as I am saving every penny I have to buy some of THESE! Hopefully I can get the 100k magic fairy **** thrown in for free.:cheesygrin:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2013
    Make beer that tastes like rum or great cognac and I'm in. Until then, you can keep that vile stuff. Plus it makes you a fatty.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited August 2013
    Most people including myself like the Fall , Winter and Spring beers a lot more then summer beers. I'm a huge Fall to Winter beer lover and you will find me talking about them as soon as Octoberfest and Pumpkin Ales hit which I believe they are already on the way.
    Winter beer like Stouts and Porters are my personal favorite closely followed by German Dunkels and Bock's.

So hang tight , I just got back from Napa Valley and had one of the very best times in my life. It was breath taking.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2013
    I agree about the fall-winter beer craving...although I do drink my fair share in the summer.

Sam Adams and Leinys already have their Octoberfest beers on shelves!!!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited August 2013
    Just cracked my first pumpkin ale of the year. Really wanted to wait until Fall but I couldn't resist!
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited August 2013
    New to the forum but for sure a craft beer fan. I dig a variety but fall winter spring is my thing.

Just went to blues and brews in Akron, Ohio. Not bad, great place for beginners. We have a a lot of great breweries in Cleveland Ohio.

All day is good but don't think I could kill a small keg myself.
  • drummer86
    drummer86 Posts: 441
    edited August 2013
    http://www.goodbeerfestival.com/

Great event here on the Eastern Shore. Well worth it if you're in the area. About 80 minutes from the Bay Bridge and 30 from Ocean City.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2013
    Craft beers are all the rage these days, thats for sure. Ive worked for a beer distributor for the last 13 years and imports were where it was at not all that long ago. Dos Equis, Guinness, Bass, Newcastle, St Pauli, Warsteiner and the likes were selling like hot cakes. Now its all about the craft oddball beer. If youve never heard of it, people want it.

As for me, I hate to admit it but Ive become quite the fan of Michelob Ultra. Started drinking it when me and the wife go to Mexican restaurants. Id get some on draft and with fajitas and chips and salsa it is delicious so Ive started buying 12 packs of it and drinking one every night or two when I sit down to unwind before retiring for the night.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cienega
    cienega Posts: 85
    edited August 2013
    Founders is one of, if not the best brewers out there imo. Their Breakfast Stout is awesome and Double Trouble is a fine IPA although a little pricey. It's really cool how the different seasons bring out variety as opposed to just drinking your watery whatever beer all year round.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • Inthefade
    edited August 2013
    IMO founders is one of the better ones. So many to choose from. Breakfast stout is top notch as well as fresh double troube (a double ipa is why it's a little more)

Founders kbs is one theirost sought after. Wicked good.

Bells (also Michigan) has great beers. 2 hearted, expedition, and of course Blacknote or batch 9000 on and on.

I don't know it all but love the craft beer scene as well as all my buddies.

There are awesome beers to try from the ones easily found on the shelf to the ones that last a day or less.

Like mrbiron I've tried quite a few and not from the macro brewers.

Support local or all I say. But really enjoy what you like. Every once in a while venture out and try a bottle you wouldn't normally buy. You never know what might tickle your taste buds.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited August 2013
    cienega wrote: »
    Founders is one of, if not the best brewers out there imo. Their Breakfast Stout is awesome and Double Trouble is a fine IPA although a little pricey. It's really cool how the different seasons bring out variety as opposed to just drinking your watery whatever beer all year round.
    Founders is a great brewery. I also love lagunitas, but some of their better beers are getting harder to find. Are you in Dayton proper? I am in West Carrollton
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    edited August 2013
    I was in Keeler Bay Vermont this weekend and decided to try some local brew "Otter Creek" lager. It was very good! Perfect with a midnight camp fire! I realized while entering my cabin that it too had the same name "Otter Creek". I thought that it was a good omen, so while the camp fire was billowing sparks and smoke into the starry night sky, I tossed a fishing line into the water and caught a beautiful large mouth bass for breakfast! MMMM Yummy!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited August 2013
    Glorious...Glorious...One keg o beer for the four of us...sayin glory be to God that there ain't no more of us cause any one of us can drink it all himself...damn near!! Oooooraaaaa!!!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2013
    Lagunitas is a great brewery. If you haven't tried any of their beers yet, DEFINATELY try virtually any of Rogue Brewery's beers. They make many many styles, some being limited editions (example:they made an Oregon Sesquicentenial Ale that was fantastic!! Unfortuanately you can't get it anymore:sad:). One I haven't tried was the Voodoo donut beers. Doesn't seem like my thing. Some of my favorites are the: Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, Portland State IPA, Irish Lager, Mocha Porter, and Juniper Pale Ale. Also, if you are into Chocolate Stouts, the Rogue Chocolate is probably the best one I've tasted. A link is below:

http://rogue.com/index.php
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited August 2013
    drummer86 wrote: »
    http://www.goodbeerfestival.com/

Great event here on the Eastern Shore. Well worth it if you're in the area. About 80 minutes from the Bay Bridge and 30 from Ocean City.

Have you checked out Evo or Burley Oak yet?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mrbiron
    edited August 2013
    So hang tight
    NO!I do not take off the summer when it comes to beer-ing!:smile:
    Otter Creek
    Their Black IPA is one of my all time favorites!!!

I would definitely enjoy getting some heavier beer but spring/summer just isn't the time nor the place for heavy body. Nobody mows their lawn on a 95 degree day and says "Let's have me a stout to cool down". I think i will be able to finish this keg in a mere 2 months by myself. (Doesn't include my in-between beers beer because i can't drink the same beer day in, day out). THEN!...i will be getting a Milk Stout for sure. Most likely a 1/6th or 1/4 of this.
    5057112840_f7f740c991.jpg

Then, if there is time, Anchor Steam's Xmas Ale will always round out my year.:eek:
    Anyone else have a kegerator setup around here?
  • deronb1
    edited August 2013
    headrott wrote: »
    Lagunitas is a great brewery. If you haven't tried any of their beers yet, DEFINATELY try virtually any of Rogue Brewery's beers. They make many many styles, some being limited editions (example:they made an Oregon Sesquicentenial Ale that was fantastic!! Unfortuanately you can't get it anymore:sad:). One I haven't tried was the Voodoo donut beers. Doesn't seem like my thing. Some of my favorites are the: Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, Portland State IPA, Irish Lager, Mocha Porter, and Juniper Pale Ale. Also, if you are into Chocolate Stouts, the Rogue Chocolate is probably the best one I've tasted. A link is below

http://rogue.com/index.php

I have had a few beers from Rogue. The selection is a bit limited here, but love the.dead guy ale.
  • mrbiron
    edited August 2013
    Voodoo donut beers.
    Possibly the worst beer i have ever had! Rogue should go ahead and remove that one from the inventory.
    May or may not be tied with any watermelon ale! YUCK!
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    edited August 2013
    Guinness Draught. Tried the Widmers, Pyramids, Red Hooks, etc but keep coming back to Guinness as my gold standard. Always open to suggestions though.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • cienega
    edited August 2013
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Founders is a great brewery. I also love lagunitas, but some of their better beers are getting harder to find. Are you in Dayton proper? I am in West Carrollton
    I'm up north a bit in Huber Hts, Tipp City area. I go to place called Liquor & Wine Warehouse off of I-75 / Miller Lane. They have a huge selection and you can make your own 6 packs from singles. They also have beer tastings to help you figure out what style you like. Yea Lagunitas is good as well. If you like IPA's try and get Brew Kettle White Rajah, it's a fantastic IPA, probably my favorite and I've just about tried them all and that includes Pliney the Elder.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub
  • Inthefade
    edited August 2013
    I'm up north a bit in Huber Hts, Tipp City area. I go to place called Liquor & Wine Warehouse off of I-75 / Miller Lane. They have a huge selection and you can make your own 6 packs from singles. They also have beer tastings to help you figure out what style you like. Yea Lagunitas is good as well. If you like IPA's try and get Brew Kettle White Rajah, it's a fantastic IPA, probably my favorite and I've just about tried them all and that includes Pliney the Elder.

What do you think about Head Hunter compared to Rajah?
  • deronb1
    edited August 2013

Dont get up that way too often. Get my beer at arrow wine or little farm usually. I read about pliny the elder on beeradvocate. Sounds interesting. Had some hoptimum from sierra nevada the other day. Pretty good and strong 10.4 abv
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2013
    DSCF0614 (1024x768).jpg

Been enjoying these as of late a Doppelbock from Italy 7% these go down smooth.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited August 2013
    I've been making a few Summer Shandy's for my wife using half Shiner/ half lemonade. So good I've had a few myself. I also enjoy a Snakebite* which is half Guinness Stout/half hard apple cider (I prefer Angry Orchard).

*This is what the drink is called at BJ's restaurants in the Dallas area which is the first place I had one. Not sure if that's universal or just the name they gave it.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • deronb1
    edited August 2013
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    DSCF0614 (1024x768).jpg

Been enjoying these as of late a Doppelbock from Italy 7% these go down smooth.

Those are good. Remind me of spaten optimator, which is a great beer for the price.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2013
    Those are good. Remind me of spaten optimator, which is a great beer for the price.

I've put down a few optimator's good bier you got good taste.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • headrott
    edited August 2013
    I have had a few beers from Rogue. The selection is a bit limited here, but love the.dead guy ale.

Dead guy ale is OK, there are definately better ones (IMO of course) if you can find some where you are.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    edited August 2013
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Possibly the worst beer i have ever had! Rogue should go ahead and remove that one from the inventory.
    May or may not be tied with any watermelon ale! YUCK!

Re: Voodoo donut beers. Sounds like I made the right choice to not try either of these.:lol: As I said, didn't seem like my thing.

Have you tried any other Rogue beers? Something you actually like?:biggrin:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited August 2013
    Guinness Draught. Tried the Widmers, Pyramids, Red Hooks, etc but keep coming back to Guinness as my gold standard. Always open to suggestions though.
    If Guinness is your standard then you are a stout man. Check out Left Hand Milk Stout , Riverhorse Oatmeal Milk Stout , A****er Milk Stout , Youngs Double Chocolate Milk Stout , Rouge Chocolate Stout. That should get you started.
    If your a Coffee kinda guy then looking into Troegs Java head is a very good Idea.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cienega
    edited August 2013
    Inthefade wrote: »
    What do you think about Head Hunter compared to Rajah?
    That's a great question. According to one of the head guys at Brew Kettle they modeled Rajah after Head Hunter IPA! You can tell when you drink them, they both have that bit of citrus taste to them but I prefer White Rajah. I see your in Cleveland so you are probably pretty familiar with Brew Kettle.
    2 channel
    Vandersteen 3a sigs
    McCormick 225
    Vincent SAT-1 tube pre
    Cambridge 650 c
    HSU VTF-15H sub