Anyone using a Cubox and XBMC?

Options
ipsullivan
ipsullivan Posts: 65
edited August 2013 in Going Digital
I am looking into getting a Cubox and using XBMC to access my music/media library, mostly for the main goal of playing FLAC files, without connecting my laptop to the receiver.

Also, it has a optical out port on it, would this be viable to feed my receiver if I am only using 2-channel?

Anyone have any experience with a similar setup? Any advice or tips would be great.

Seems like a very versatile option.

Thanks,
Ian
Post edited by ipsullivan on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I am using XBMC for my music playback using my hi-fi computer (created a thread about it here, so search it).

XBMC works great, the remote app for iOS and Andriod (dont use that but use the iOS one) work good.

I use the computer as my source for headphone (via a Audio GD-NFB-5). I also use XBMC for playback via my main computer through a coaxial connection to my Sunfire TGP-II and like it as well.

XMBC.org/forums is a great source for info and help.

I also just build another forum member here a HTPC and he will be using XBMC as his source playback player.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2013
    Options
    XBMC works great, the remote app for iOS and Andriod (dont use that but use the iOS one) work good.

I use both the iOS and Android apps for XBMC and they both work great. I can use them simultaneously actually which is pretty cool. I don't know what a Cubox is, but XBMC is a nice program. I use it for video and audio playback out of my HTPC via HDMI.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • GFOviedo
    GFOviedo Posts: 352
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I would try it if the price was $49.99. It appear that it requires too much thinkering to make it work right.
    AVR: DENON X4000
    FRONT L/R: ARX A3RX-C
    CENTER: ARX A2RX-C
    SURROUND L/R: ARX A3
    SUBWOOFER: PSA-XV15

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: VIZIO M601D-A3R
  • ipsullivan
    ipsullivan Posts: 65
    edited August 2013
    Options
    GFOviedo wrote: »
    I would try it if the price was $49.99. It appear that it requires too much thinkering to make it work right.

I agree, the 2GB DDr3 version w/ optical cable is $160. The cheaper version runs are $120 w/o optical cable. Maybe I should just run a long HDMI cable from my laptop to the receiver. And I can still control XBMC with my iPhone.

I just like the thought of not having to go through my laptop. A standalone source would be pretty nice.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2013
    Options
    ipsullivan wrote: »
    I agree, the 2GB DDr3 version w/ optical cable is $160. The cheaper version runs are $120 w/o optical cable. Maybe I should just run a long HDMI cable from my laptop to the receiver. And I can still control XBMC with my iPhone.

I just like the thought of not having to go through my laptop. A standalone source would be pretty nice.

Ok... Your asking your question wrong here.

First question is where are your files stored?

If stored on a desktop or laptop that is setup right you can just buy a streaming device that connects to your network (like the computer) and playback your files over the network.

Can't type more on my iPhone but that gives you an idea
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • GFOviedo
    GFOviedo Posts: 352
    edited August 2013
    Options
    There are other devices out there with better options. Newegg was selling a Intel PC with i3 CPU for about $200 bucks. I can't seem to find it, but it was a small all in one PC. all you needed to add was a HDD and OS. Saound and video card where good enough for HD sound and video. It has optical as well. I've got to go to work when I come back I'll search for it.
    AVR: DENON X4000
    FRONT L/R: ARX A3RX-C
    CENTER: ARX A2RX-C
    SURROUND L/R: ARX A3
    SUBWOOFER: PSA-XV15

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: VIZIO M601D-A3R