BluRay,1080p, DLNA, MKV, HTPC, etc.

Options
2»

Comments

• adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I've been on this project for a while too. So far I am just doing just my DVD collection. I use MakeMKV and then compress via Handbrake. I pull them into iTunes and distribute via AppleTV. I also use ServeToMe and StreamToMe to watch my movies remotely on the iPhone and iPad. Pretty slick and it works for music too (even on 3G cell network). The avg movie is about 1.5 gb when encoded. N which reminds me, I use the queue on handbrake to encode about 10-15 movies overnight.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    I think you'll just have to give it a try and see. I think your encode times will likely be similar to mine. The way I see it, if it's going to take 5-6 hours anyway, why would it matter if it took a couple of more hours?

Got a couple blu-rays and a couple DVD's done tonight. DVD's average about 8 gigs, blu-rays with lossless audio are averaging about 25-30 gigs lol. I will run outta space quick at this rate if I dont use handbrake.

I think I might try doing just my DVD's for now and then get some bigger drives and or a NAS setup for storage to use.

Also started to show off this stuff to the wife to soften her up for the HTPC I want to build for downstairs :biggrin:..... because it will make playing the Disney Movies for Skye easier :loneranger:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited February 2013
    Options
    While I appreciate the lossless / HD nature of blu-rays, there's no way I'd keep the native 17GB - 30GB files ...even w/ 9TB of NAS storage, it'll just get filled up quickly.

The last 3 years or so I've been encoding 1080p + 640kbps AC3 (5.1) and encoding to fit a double layer dvd (ie. 8.5GB). The only exception is if it's a long movie like Lord of the Rings. I typically use MeGui instead of Handbrake b/c of the additional features / control - but handbrake is simpler and probably a little easier to use.

Video encoding benefits from more CPU cores, so that's a worthwhile upgrade if you're still using a dual core machine. I think my 6 core i7 970 @ 4.2GHz will complete a 2 pass encode in about 2 hrs (1080p x264 @ 7,000 to 10,000 video bitrate).
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Sorry guys, I forgot to do the Handbrake screen shots last night! I'll get them posted today.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Tbone289
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Here are the Handbrake setup shots. Note that this example is a 1080p movie with a Dolby Digital soundtrack. I use an MKV package. The only alterations I would make to this setup are the width on the "Picture" tab (1280 for 720p, 720 for DVD), and the audio track would be "DTS passthru" for a DTS soundtrack. The video quality setting is critical--you do not want to use a higher RF number than 20.

These settings are a good place to start, anyway....

HB_1.JPG

HB_2.JPG

HB_3.JPG

HB_4.JPG

HB_5.JPG
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Glad to see this thread. I just started ripping my bluray collection. I built a 20tb server in a raid 5 config which is a little over 15tb of actual storage space. The main purpose is to be able to stream all of my movies through my house. I am using wd live players in every room. I use the actual bluray in my theater. It has been working great so far. I just have to finish about 150 bluray rips. I prefer the loseless version and I keep the 30gb files.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2013
    Options
    rdb2001 wrote: »
    Glad to see this thread. I just started ripping my bluray collection. I built a 20tb server in a raid 5 config which is a little over 15tb of actual storage space. The main purpose is to be able to stream all of my movies through my house. I am using wd live players in every room. I use the actual bluray in my theater. It has been working great so far. I just have to finish about 150 bluray rips. I prefer the loseless version and I keep the 30gb files.

How do you like WD Live? I am very interested in these, since DLNA sucks.

How are you ripping your movies? What format?
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited March 2013
    Options

How are you ripping your movies? What format?

Ripping using makemkv. The wd live players can play mkv files. My main goal with this project was to be able to watch every movie I own in any room on any capable device outside of my theater. So far I have only ripped 20 blus but it has worked successfully. I was going the nas route but for the kind of storage I needed, I spent a little extra and built a server running windows home server 2011. It has been a fun project.
  • Tbone289
    edited March 2013
    Options
    In the past, I've used ASUS players the same as you're using WDLive. I realized after a while that I'd rather just carry my laptop to whatever room I want to watch the movie in, and just plug in the HDMI to the system and run it from that (from HTPC shared drive). But, I rarely watch movies away from my main home theatre setup anyway.
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I was going the nas route but for the kind of storage I needed, I spent a little extra and built a server running windows home server 2011. It has been a fun project.

This is what I am thinking about doing myself slowly. Its not a big deal to put another tower of the same size next to my other desktop computer and I like that with a larger case (Midtower ATX) you can just keep adding more and more hard drives as you run out of space.

For now I am going to keep using my current computer and add a 2 TB drive to it while I buy parts from newegg as they go on sale to help keep the cost down.

I figure I will try to go with a Mini ITX motherboard, probably go with AMD as their motherboards and chipsets tend to be cheaper and go from there.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    edited March 2013
    Options

I know this was directed at rdb2001, but I use the WD Live and I love it. I have two in the house and they work great. I don't have a server, but use have a 4TB Synology NAS drive on the network where I store all my music and a bunch of movies. I didn't like DLNA and with the WD Live, you play the actual files from either your server or NAS. I like it a lot better. I don't rip Blu-rays at this point, just DVDs to ISO format so I can maintain the DVD menu system. The thing plays just about every file format out there.

As a side note, some things I really like about the Synology NAS drive is the software that comes with it. You can set up a video server, music server and even a photo server. Then if you get a URL for yourself and set it up to point to your NAS drive via your router you have other options as well. There are Video, Audio and Photo Apps on iTunes that let you connect to the NAS server via a web address (actual IP address or the URL you get) and you can listen to your music or watch videos on your iphone or ipad that reside on your NAS. I believe they have the apps for android devices as well. Of course all this depends on your cell plan data limits if you are not on a wireless network, but it's nice to be able to listen to your music in your car via your iphone. The best part, I dont' have to load ANY of the music (or videos) on my phone. It also works if you are on another network outside of your house. Pretty slick.

But back to the original question, the WD Live is great. As soon as they get an Amazon Instant Streaming app on it, it will be perfect. I don't understand why folks build HTPCs when this little box can do it all and you just needs a storage server somewhere to hold all your media. That's just me though. My days of wanting to build PCs is not what it used to be.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Tbone289
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I don't understand why folks build HTPCs when this little box can do it all and you just needs a storage server somewhere to hold all your media. That's just me though. My days of wanting to build PCs is not what it used to be.

Your setup is likely enough for most people--those who need it for the uses you mention. WD Live plus a NAS cannot do everything a PC can. That is generally why people build HTPCs.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited March 2013
    Options

Can you talk more about the server build? Did you use a server specific mobo? Did you use 5 x 4TB drives? Do you rip on another machine that is mapped to the server? This is the route I want to go eventually. Right now I'm doing it all on my desktop PC with only 3TB and external backup.
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Question for you WD TV Live guys: do you have problems streaming 1080p over wifi? Buffering issues? Do you just run the WD hard-wired? What about the PC, server, or NAS that's streaming to it?
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    enders: XBMC is sweet!!! Video quality is better than VLC by a long shot! I'll play around more before I start asking a million noob questions, but for now, I'm having issues using my phone as a remote... won't find the host or something... suggestions?

• falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    enders: XBMC is sweet!!! Video quality is better than VLC by a long shot! I'll play around more before I start asking a million noob questions, but for now, I'm having issues using my phone as a remote... won't find the host or something... suggestions?

Nevermind... figured it out. Any suggestions on cool features of this sweet player?

• EndersShadow
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Nevermind... figured it out. Any suggestions on cool features of this sweet player?

Umm.... havent played with video tons yet, but it does FLAC too :wink:.....

I like XBMC because I dont think there is a file type it wont play. Plus its open source so folks can tinker around with things and add in features they want and make em public for everyone.

I would head over to XBMC's site and or their wiki page and just look around at their guides to see what awesome stuff this program does.

There are tons of plug-ins and additional things you can get it to do (like automatically start up with the computer starts, etc). Also you can get it to work with a harmony one remote should you be using that..... If not IIRC a windows media center remote can be used for control as well (both require an IR connected to the computer though)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78179
  • GospelTruth
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Question for you WD TV Live guys: do you have problems streaming 1080p over wifi? Buffering issues? Do you just run the WD hard-wired? What about the PC, server, or NAS that's streaming to it?

I haven't tried streaming 1080p over wireless - but that is kinda a loaded question. With wireless you need to know what kind of throughput you can get and what file you are streaming. Here are the maximum speeds for each of the formats. If you have DVD or Blu-ray, they would be ISO files.
    • DVD (using MPEG-2 Compression): 10.08 Mbit/s
    • Blu-Ray (Recordable disc): 36 Mbit/s
    • H.264: 6 Mbit/s with 1080p content
    • VC -1: 30 Mbit/s with 1080p content
    You can use this SITE to read about and download a program to test your home network speed (wired or wireless). I would make sure if you are doing wireless that you check it from a position where you will have your device as interference and distance impact the results.

Once you have your results, then you can figure out if you have the ability to play 1080p over wireless based on the file types above.

My thoughts are to go with a wired connection if you can. The reason being is there is no interference from other routers or devices. Additionally, if you have a lot of wireless devices running in your house (kids with cell phones, laptops streaming stuff and what not) running at the same time, this could impact performance. At a minimum I would make sure you have a good router that has wireless N capability and is a 100Mbps LAN.

I have a wireless N router (ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router) and although not cheap it is way better than the cheaper routers I have had in the past. Additionally, I have a Synology NAS hard wired directly to the the router. Using wireless, I tried to stream DVD ISO files to my WD and it would work 95% of the time with no issues, but every once in a while I would get issues with transmission. This wasn't a buffering issue with the WD Live, but issues with wireless (distance to my TV and number of walls). I got sick of the wireless issues as it can kinda be suck if it happens in the middle of a movie. I wanted to go hard wired, but retrofitting can be a pain. So I opted to buy an Ethernet over powerline kit by TP-LINK. I had never tried it before, but figured why not. This works great and it's a simple plug and play. I hooked the Ethernet directly from the router to this device in my office and plugged the other outlet directly into my WD Live in the living room. With this solution I don't have ANY issues with streaming and have excellent transmission rates. If you want to have a wired connection but don't have Ethernet wired in your house, I recommend this solution. You do have to make sure that both plugs in your house go to the same electrical panel.

If you have any other questions, let me know!
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    I own MakeMKV. Yes, I paid the guy because I feel he deserves it. Well, that and I don't have to constantly update the registration code.

I watch the movie once from the MakeMKV lossless copy, then archive it using Handbrake to compress. With the correct Handbrake settings, I can rarely tell the difference between the lossless and lossy copy, but the lossy is usually about 1/3 the size. I do this with DVD and BluRay, and I'll even reduce some of the less-important (to me) archival copies from 1080p to 720p to cut the size even more.

I don't use NAS yet. I just store it all on HDs in my HTPC and use externals for backup.

How's that HTPC running these days any ways?
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I haven't tried streaming 1080p over wireless - but that is kinda a loaded question. With wireless you need to know what kind of throughput you can get and what file you are streaming. Here are the maximum speeds for each of the formats. If you have DVD or Blu-ray, they would be ISO files.
    • DVD (using MPEG-2 Compression): 10.08 Mbit/s
    • Blu-Ray (Recordable disc): 36 Mbit/s
    • H.264: 6 Mbit/s with 1080p content
    • VC -1: 30 Mbit/s with 1080p content
    You can use this SITE to read about and download a program to test your home network speed (wired or wireless). I would make sure if you are doing wireless that you check it from a position where you will have your device as interference and distance impact the results.

Once you have your results, then you can figure out if you have the ability to play 1080p over wireless based on the file types above.

My thoughts are to go with a wired connection if you can. The reason being is there is no interference from other routers or devices. Additionally, if you have a lot of wireless devices running in your house (kids with cell phones, laptops streaming stuff and what not) running at the same time, this could impact performance. At a minimum I would make sure you have a good router that has wireless N capability and is a 100Mbps LAN.

I have a wireless N router (ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router) and although not cheap it is way better than the cheaper routers I have had in the past. Additionally, I have a Synology NAS hard wired directly to the the router. Using wireless, I tried to stream DVD ISO files to my WD and it would work 95% of the time with no issues, but every once in a while I would get issues with transmission. This wasn't a buffering issue with the WD Live, but issues with wireless (distance to my TV and number of walls). I got sick of the wireless issues as it can kinda be suck if it happens in the middle of a movie. I wanted to go hard wired, but retrofitting can be a pain. So I opted to buy an Ethernet over powerline kit by TP-LINK. I had never tried it before, but figured why not. This works great and it's a simple plug and play. I hooked the Ethernet directly from the router to this device in my office and plugged the other outlet directly into my WD Live in the living room. With this solution I don't have ANY issues with streaming and have excellent transmission rates. If you want to have a wired connection but don't have Ethernet wired in your house, I recommend this solution. You do have to make sure that both plugs in your house go to the same electrical panel.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

That ethernet over powerline looks cool. That would be a lot easier than installing a second modem/router.

• GospelTruth
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Ethernet over Powerline is a great alternative to wireless and can provide better speeds without the interference with wireless. If you have many devices at your theater (PS3, HTPC, smart TV and so on) you can use one Powerline Ethernet adapter that connects to your router in another room and then use this switch at your theater. Just run an Ethernet wire from your powerline adapter to the device. Then connect all your other devices via Ethernet to that device as well. The switch will handle all the routing. There is no need to get another router. I did this at my entertainment center as I have a PS3 and WD Live both using this solution.

Just a couple notes on Powerline Ethernet:
    • Both plugs must be on the same electrical box
    • You cannot plug an adapter into a power strip. It must be plugged into a socket on the wall. From my understanding power strips interfere with how these work.
    • Distance of the wires to/from the electrical box will impact speed.
    I don't think you'll regret it though if you can conform to above requirements.
    Speakers
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
  • RadioRat
    RadioRat Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    May I ask what are you using to rip your bluerays to your pc?

I use Blu-ray Ripper here so I can get full quality and keep all the subtitles special features etc.
  • GFOviedo
    GFOviedo Posts: 352
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Hi, I've been ripping my own collection for about 3 years or so. After trying different formats and software I settled on the following.
    1) AnyDVD HD for encryption removal
    2) ClownBD for ripping the movies to BD folder structure main movie only with HD sound and AC3 track.
    3) if the movie has forced subs, I use MKVMerge GUI and flag the correct subtitle track so my Dune Media Player can play it.
    4) For DVD movies I use MAkeMKV.

I've found this works the best for me. I use Zappiti and Yadis as my jukeboxes. I tried HTPC, but I had too many issues with my wife and kids using them.
    AVR: DENON X4000
    FRONT L/R: ARX A3RX-C
    CENTER: ARX A2RX-C
    SURROUND L/R: ARX A3
    SUBWOOFER: PSA-XV15

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: VIZIO M601D-A3R